Foreign affairs ministry: Thailand is not cracking down on Cambodian illegal workers

webfact

Foreign affairs ministry: Thailand is not cracking down on Cambodian illegal workers

BANGKOK, 30 June 2014 (NNT) - The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has confirmed Thailand wants to regulate alien workers while denying that it only deals with those from Cambodia.

Spokesman of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Sek Wannamethi said many Cambodian workers had traveled back to Cambodian since they had been panicked over the rumors that the Thai government would arrest them and their employers had feared that they would face legal actions from hiring illegal workers.

The Thai government enforced laws as usual without cracking down on illegal workers especially those from Cambodia, the spokesman said. The government had helped take a lot of illegal Cambodian workers to border crossings without pressing charges against them.

The government was ready to investigate the allegations that Thai officers had violated human rights of illegal workers in order to provide justice for all sides and punish the wrongdoers, said the spokesman. He added that the National Council for Peace and Order was trying to legalize illegal alien workers in Thailand.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-30 footer_n.gif

Nothing wrong with knowing who is in the country. The Cambodian and Myanmar workers...others...should all be documented.

And it would be nice if they made living here a little easier for farang like myself. Permanent resident statues would fill the bill, like Australia offers....and the right to own 1 rai in my own name to build a house on. goof.gif

Exactly.

While everyone was jumping up and down bitching about abusing Cambodians. How is it they can come and live here and also no requirement for a work permit etc....

What about making it a bit easier for farang.. such as not needing to leave the country to get or update a visa, or make it easier to work here as westerners bring a lot more expertise to the table. I have been here long enough to see that most Thais are dreadful business people. Dropthe rule of having to employ a certain amount of Thais for a farang work permit and good Thai jobs will be created soon enough.

Also I agree..... It wouldn't do any harm to allow a farang who is resident for five years and over to be able to buy and own 1 rai of land.

Putting up draconian barriers for farangs while making everything easier for Cambodians,Laos and Burmese actually proves the authorities are indeed exploiting the latter.

• Like 1

Thais are blustering and puffing about immigration and illegal aliens.

And the PTP government before this just lifted the carpet, swept it underneath and ignored it. So did the many governments before them.

Are you saying that it all the fault of the Army in 6 weeks?

Edited by billd766

Not time to play the blame game. The problem is very real, because military government has been sending

out very mixed signals on this issue. Thai economy needs the Cambodian labor NOW, so this is not the

time to send them en masse back to Cambodia. Military government needs to win confidence of Cambodians, who were clearly afraid, rightly or wrongly.

Long term, Thai immigration could use some reforms. Agree completely with posters who ask why it is not possible for long term resident farangs who are good citizens and contributing members of the economy to buy 1 rai of land and a house.

That would be good for Thailand, since , like most countries, Thailand needs the foreign brains and skills!

Thais are blustering and puffing about immigration and illegal aliens.

And the PTP government before this just lifted the carpet, swept it underneath and ignored it. So did the many governments before them.

Are you saying that it all the fault of the Army in 6 weeks?

That would be good for Thailand, since , like most countries, Thailand needs the foreign brains and skills!

its a fact that if you learn from the best you can compete with the best,

simply and sadly

Thailand believes its the best...............at everytthing.......

so nothing to be learned nor gained from a change in policy

Nothing wrong with knowing who is in the country. The Cambodian and Myanmar workers...others...should all be documented.

And it would be nice if they made living here a little easier for farang like myself. Permanent resident statues would fill the bill, like Australia offers....and the right to own 1 rai in my own name to build a house on. goof.gif

Exactly.

While everyone was jumping up and down bitching about abusing Cambodians. How is it they can come and live here and also no requirement for a work permit etc....

What about making it a bit easier for farang.. such as not needing to leave the country to get or update a visa, or make it easier to work here as westerners bring a lot more expertise to the table. I have been here long enough to see that most Thais are dreadful business people. Dropthe rule of having to employ a certain amount of Thais for a farang work permit and good Thai jobs will be created soon enough.

Also I agree..... It wouldn't do any harm to allow a farang who is resident for five years and over to be able to buy and own 1 rai of land.

Putting up draconian barriers for farangs while making everything easier for Cambodians,Laos and Burmese actually proves the authorities are indeed exploiting the latter.

The difference is the Cambodian's are useful that's why, they will dig the roads, do construction work and other jobs a lot of Thai nationals will not do and for less money, a lot of farangs in Thailand are just whinging little b*tches who keep saying what about me,? I want demand rights.....;)

Exactly.

Its easy to work in Thailand as a Westerner if you have skills that are needed

This is all a bit moot isn't it. They've all gone now.

How about they cracked down on the employERS employing these poor souls illegally.

They do, but not like a crackdown, but more a help to them..

A spokesman for the Victims' Group, representing victims of several countries said dryly today: "It is observed that the fraud syndicate's level of protection in Thailand is not what it used to be. The on-going activities against corruption are not what the foreign fraudsters prefer and the reported raids taken against some of the fraudsters seem to indicate a new scenery, whereby the fraudsters cannot take for granted any longer to feel secure through massive pay-outs.

Link here http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2014/06/second-horde-of-migrant-labourers-flees.html

This violates human rights of illegal workers in order to provide justice for all sides and punish the wrongdoers.

I think Paragraph 2, I think the above actions will be beneficial to the country because it will be fair.

The Government of Thailand has also served in the early part.