Non o visa from Laos Requirements as of June 2014

Hi all,

Got my new multiple non o visa and back in LOS. Some points I'd like to make about the whole trip.

1. It is now same day service, submit passport with documents in the morning (9:00 - 11:am) and collection in the afternoon after 15:30.

2. There is no queue system and it is a bit of a mad scramble when they open the gates of the Thai Consulate. Being young and fit I managed to get to the front no problem, there is about 50m from gate to visa booth.

3. I had prepared a whole folder of documents. All they wanted were the wife's signed and dated copies of marriage cert, house registration book, certificate of name change and i.d card. The only real document they asked to view was the marriage certificate.

4. Immigration in and out were fine and I was never asked for a supposed 40 baht fee for entering and exiting Laos. Be warned the bus from Savannakhet to Mukdahan does not hang around at the border so unless you are one of the first through to Thailand expect to miss the bus.

5. Savannakhet is a nice place with excellent beer, Beerlao dark being my favourite, and delicious road side freshly baked baguettes. (cheese and salad, pork pate and roast beef) The coffee is great also.

• Like 1

for a non o year visa because of thai wife you dont need to go abroad at all.

just go to your immigration office and give the papers requiered as i do every year.

but for this you need to have 400 000 bath in a thai bank on your name only for at least 2 mounth minimum before applying that kind of visa otherwise forget it.

your wife as to go and sign all the document also, she will be asked many personal question, better all of you knows the answerd before

the rest is spending time in the office and bla bla....!

coffee1.gif

What kind of questions is my wife likely to be asked?

Ubonjoe is absolutely correct. Go to Savannakhet, it is the soft option - much more relaxed with far fewer people making applications. I was there a couple of weeks ago and obtained a Non O for looking after my young son and they were issuing multi entry visas no problem. You can get direct flights from BKK to Savannakhet, but they are costly and infrequent and may involve an extra day in Savannakhet. Maybe better to fly to Khon Kaen or Roi et and take a bus to Mukdahan.

Merryman88

The best route from Bangkok is a flight to Ubon Ratchathani Taxi to Ubon Bus station 100 Baht, Mini Bus to Mukdahan 100 Baht Each way Bus over to Savannakhet (50 baht) take your documents to Consulate by 11am, then collect passport with Visa next day at 1pm staff are very helpful at the consulate - contact the consulate in Savannakhet for the requirements for whichever Visa you are applying for.

just go to your immigration office and give the papers requiered as i do every year.

but for this you need to have 400 000 bath in a thai bank on your name only for at least 2 mounth minimum before applying that kind of visa otherwise forget it.

your wife as to go and sign all the document also, she will be asked many personal question, better all of you knows the answerd before

coffee1.gif

It is not that many questions and they are not all that personal. The questions are to complete a statement that the immigration will be filling in on their computer.

It is not really that big a deal.

coffee1.gif

Some examples you/ your wife will be asked:

Are your wife's parents living or deceased?

Does your wife rent or own her place?

Where do you live, what part of ... do you live?

What date did you get married?

When is your wife's birthday?

How did you meet?

Does your wife work, where does she work?

Edited by futurespeter

Ubonjoe is absolutely correct. Go to Savannakhet, it is the soft option - much more relaxed with far fewer people making applications. I was there a couple of weeks ago and obtained a Non O for looking after my young son and they were issuing multi entry visas no problem. You can get direct flights from BKK to Savannakhet, but they are costly and infrequent and may involve an extra day in Savannakhet. Maybe better to fly to Khon Kaen or Roi et and take a bus to Mukdahan.

What documents were required for the Non O for looking after your son?

I took a birth certificate, a house book (certificate) for my son, a bank statement showing I have 400,000 in my account and a couple of documents signed by two Thais, vouching that I look after my son (not sure if they were needed though). I got a 3 month non O which I will convert to a visa for looking after my son at immigration. I would suggest you go and speak with your immigration officer.

Hi all,

Got my new multiple non o visa and back in LOS. Some points I'd like to make about the whole trip.

1. It is now same day service, submit passport with documents in the morning (9:00 - 11:am) and collection in the afternoon after 15:30.

2. There is no queue system and it is a bit of a mad scramble when they open the gates of the Thai Consulate. Being young and fit I managed to get to the front no problem, there is about 50m from gate to visa booth.

3. I had prepared a whole folder of documents. All they wanted were the wife's signed and dated copies of marriage cert, house registration book, certificate of name change and i.d card. The only real document they asked to view was the marriage certificate.

4. Immigration in and out were fine and I was never asked for a supposed 40 baht fee for entering and exiting Laos. Be warned the bus from Savannakhet to Mukdahan does not hang around at the border so unless you are one of the first through to Thailand expect to miss the bus.

5. Savannakhet is a nice place with excellent beer, Beerlao dark being my favourite, and delicious road side freshly baked baguettes. (cheese and salad, pork pate and roast beef) The coffee is great also.

I am pleased for you. I wasnt aware they do a same day service which is excellent news. You were fortunate not being asked for the 40 baht fee, I have always had to pay it.

Mr Yim

Hi all,

I am pleased for you. I wasnt aware they do a same day service which is excellent news. You were fortunate not being asked for the 40 baht fee, I have always had to pay it.

Mr Yim

The officer asked me for 40 baht, and i politely said:'for what?'. Then he backed off.

Do you need to get a visa for Laos in BKK, or can you get one at the border?

You can get a Lao visa on arrival at a border crossing or the bridges. Cost for those from most countries is $35 or 1500 baht. You need one photo to apply for it.

When trying to submit this form it says that it takes 4 days to process and wants me to pay $95, from what I gather it will be cheaper if I just walk up to Lao immigration. My Nok Air bus drops me at the bridge anyway so I'm on my own.

Remember to bring crisp $5 and $10 bills to avoid being overcharged when paying in THB.

yes, take new notes, and baht as back-up. The differential between $35 and 1500 baht is about 400 baht at current exchange rates. When you are surrounded by border officials that are constantly requesting 40 baht pay-offs, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out what they are doing. i have seen several people refused their U.S dollars.