Non-Immigrant visa based on marriage

Good day,

This will be my first time applying for a Non-immigrant visa based on marriage, in fact first application for any Thai visa.

I have a couple of questions if people can please answer.

Is it correct that I can get a 30 day entry permit when I arrive in thecountry and then have 90 days in which to sort out the banking details?

If so what do I do if my funds do not arrive in the bank from the U.S, is there a way I can extend without leaving the country.

The funds from the U.S (I am not a U.S citizen) are from a pension/savings fund and total +/-USD70,000.00, is it advisable to bring that amount into the country for a first time deposit.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards to all.

You'd be far better off getting a visa in the US before you arrive. As you appear to intend to stay over the initial 30 days the airline may not allow you to travel unless you have an outbound ticket within 30 days of arrival. You ought to be able to get a Non-O based on marriage at a consulate in the US, you can then apply for the extension based on marriage at the end of that entry.

If you are asking about a 12 month extension of stay obtained from Immigration in Thailand here is a rough guide:

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.
OR.
If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.
If Income from Thailand: Statements showing Income Tax receipts.
Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3)
Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2)
Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.
Your Passport.
Copies of everything.
Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.
A map showing the way to your house.
Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.
Take your Wife to be interviewed.
One or two witnesses may be required.
You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.
Go back in a month and get the remainder.

In order to get the 90 days you have to do a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry and you would need to show all the documents required for an extension of stay.including the financial proof o f 40k baht income or 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only.

It would be best to apply for a single entry non immigrant O visa based upon your marriage. You can easily get one at any Thai embassy for consulate. Then apply for the extension based upon marriage to a Thai. The money would have to be in the bank for 60 days when you apply.

If not you should at least get a single entry tourist visa to give you more time.

If you want to bring it in all all your funds into the country at one time is up to you. But if you are making a good interest rate on it you should just transfer what you need to live on.

You apply for a Non Imm O Visa at a Thai Consulate outside Thailand.

The requirements will depend on where you apply.

You do not need to transfer money into Thailand.

Yes as stated that is what I am doing, I want to transfer money into Thailand that more than covers the 400k required for the visa. The question was is it advisable to transfer that amount as a first deposit, asfter the initial account opening?

You'd be far better off getting a visa in the US before you arrive. As you appear to intend to stay over the initial 30 days the airline may not allow you to travel unless you have an outbound ticket within 30 days of arrival. You ought to be able to get a Non-O based on marriage at a consulate in the US, you can then apply for the extension based on marriage at the end of that entry.

Thank you, I am not from the US and will apply for a visa in my country. The funds mentioned are from my companys, US based, pension/ savings fund.

In order to get the 90 days you have to do a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry and you would need to show all the documents required for an extension of stay.including the financial proof o f 40k baht income or 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only.

It would be best to apply for a single entry non immigrant O visa based upon your marriage. You can easily get one at any Thai embassy for consulate. Then apply for the extension based upon marriage to a Thai. The money would have to be in the bank for 60 days when you apply.

If not you should at least get a single entry tourist visa to give you more time.

If you want to bring it in all all your funds into the country at one time is up to you. But if you are making a good interest rate on it you should just transfer what you need to live on.

Thank you, that is basically what I understood; I apply for a single entry non-immigrant visa outside Thailand, if I receive that does that give me 90 days grace in which to transfer the necessary funds to comply with requirements? However if by chance the funds do not arrive (no reason why but one never knows) what do I do then

You wrote this. "Is it correct that I can get a 30 day entry permit when I arrive in the country and then have 90 days in which to sort out the banking details?"

That is what I replied to when I wrote about a conversion.

A non-o visa will give you a 90 day permit to stay on entry it is not a grace period.

If you need more time you can get a 60 day extension of stay to visit your wife.

Thank you, I am not from the US and will apply for a visa in my country. The funds mentioned are from my companys, US based, pension/ savings fund.

I will not advise you on the Visa as there are more qualified people to do so than I am. But I would very strongly suggest you do NOT bring all your money here. Bring the minimum you require for your visa plus what you estimate you need to live on for say a year. Once money is in the kingdom it is hard to get it out if something goes pear shaped here. Many people have been bitten by that and have lost a fortune. Just saying...

i was looking at getting a none immigrant visa for retirement, but i am a little bit confused when i look at the forms from the thai consul here in canberra,it does state "what will your address be here in thailand, i was looking at sorting that out on my arrival, can anybody give me any advice on this issue.

i was looking at getting a none immigrant visa for retirement, but i am a little bit confused when i look at the forms from the thai consul here in canberra,it does state "what will your address be here in thailand, i was looking at sorting that out on my arrival, can anybody give me any advice on this issue.

Just find the address for a hotel where you might stay.

If you are wanting a single entry non immigrant O visa for being over 50 you will not get it at the embassy they will only do the OA long stay visa.

You will need to get it from one of the honorary consulates (not Sydney)..Info: http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/consulate.html

• 2 weeks later...

If you are asking about a 12 month extension of stay obtained from Immigration in Thailand here is a rough guide:

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

OR.

If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Thanks LiteBeer,

As before I am not yet in Thailand. Please explain what is "Wife's Tabbien Baan also where do we register our marriage?

A tambien ban is a house book that every Thai must be registered in. It is blue and I am sure your wife has one.

If you got married here your marriage is already registered. The Kor Ror 2 is a record of your marriage registration. You can get a copy at any Amphoe.

If you were married outside Thailand you will have to register your marriage at an Amphoe to obtain a Kor Ror 22 registry.

Hi,

I just got the list of info and docs needed for Application for Ext. of Stay to support Thai Spouse, from Jomtien.

It mentions in item 3)

Kor Ror 2 and 3 then goes on to "...letter of certification issued by the Embassy attesting that a person had not registered his marriage prior to marriage,.."

Can anyone put that into English for me please?

Hi,

I just got the list of info and docs needed for Application for Ext. of Stay to support Thai Spouse, from Jomtien.

It mentions in item 3)

Kor Ror 2 and 3 then goes on to "...letter of certification issued by the Embassy attesting that a person had not registered his marriage prior to marriage,.."

That would be the Affirmation of Permit to Marry you got from your embassy when your registered your marriage at the Amphoe.. Some offices ask for that when doing the first extension.

The Kor Ror 3 is your marriage certificate. The Kor Ror 2 is the marriage registry (you can get a copy of it at the Amphoe)..

• Like 1

Hi,

It mentions in item 3)

That would be the Affirmation of Permit to Marry you got from your embassy when your registered your marriage at the Amphoe.. Some offices ask for that when doing the first extension.

The Kor Ror 3 is your marriage certificate. The Kor Ror 2 is the marriage registry (you can get a copy of it at the Amphoe)..

Aah, that one. Thank you Sir.

I hope I still have it somewhere.

A tambien ban is a house book that every Thai must be registered in. It is blue and I am sure your wife has one.

If you got married here your marriage is already registered. The Kor Ror 2 is a record of your marriage registration. You can get a copy at any Amphoe.

If you were married outside Thailand you will have to register your marriage at an Amphoe to obtain a Kor Ror 22 registry.

Thanks Unbonjoe, Yes we'll have to get one as we were married outside of Thailand.

What exactly is an Amphoe, some sort of office and do you know if there wll be one in Chaiyaphum?

Again thank you for you help.

Thanks Unbonjoe, Yes we'll have to get one as we were married outside of Thailand.

What exactly is an Amphoe, some sort of office and do you know if there wll be one in Chaiyaphum?

An Amphoe is what a district in Thailand is called. When I wrote Amphoe it means the district office. There are several districts in Chaiyaphum.

You need to have your marriage certificate certified by your embassy. If they cannot certify it a self certification by way of a statement that it is true and correct. will be accepted. Then you will need to have the marriage certificate and certification translated to Thai. Then the translation will need to certified by the Ministry of Foreign affairs. Most translation services can get the MFA certification done for an additional fee.

​Then after you all that done you will go to registrars office at the Amphoe to register your marriage and get the Kor Ror 22. They will also update your wife's house book and change you her ID card if she chooses to take your name.

An Amphoe is what a district in Thailand is called. When I wrote Amphoe it means the district office. There are several districts in Chaiyaphum.

You need to have your marriage certificate certified by your embassy. If they cannot certify it a self certification by way of a statement that it is true and correct. will be accepted. Then you will need to have the marriage certificate and certification translated to Thai. Then the translation will need to certified by the Ministry of Foreign affairs. Most translation services can get the MFA certification done for an additional fee.

​Then after you all that done you will go to registrars office at the Amphoe to register your marriage and get the Kor Ror 22. They will also update your wife's house book and change you her ID card if she chooses to take your name.

Thank you. We were married in the Thai Embassy in Bahrain, the Embassy issued the certificate (English and Thai) which then had to be certified by the British Embassy and the Bahrain Department of Home Affairs,this to make it legal in Bahrain. Is all that suffiecient before we go to the Amphoe to register the marriage? Thank you

Is the Thai version in color with flowers and such on it. Can you find a number on it that says Kor Ror 3 in Thai?

Since you registered your marriage at embassy it is possible you will not have to go through all the paperwork and you will be able to get a Kor Ror 2. You just need to go to the Amphoe and see what they say.

Is the Thai version in color with flowers and such on it. Can you find a number on it that says Kor Ror 3 in Thai?

Since you registered your marriage at embassy it is possible you will not have to go through all the paperwork and you will be able to get a Kor Ror 2. You just need to go to the Amphoe and see what they say.

Thank you very much

• 1 month later...

OR.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

"One or two witnesses may be required."

Yes I managed to overlook that one as it's not on the Immigration info list.

They told me yesterday, for a first time extension, I need to bring one witness (to the fact that we are living together)along with originals and copies of their ID and house book and photos of the 3 of us together.!