Abused Karen child maid awarded Bt4.6 million in damages: Kampaeng Phet

webfact

KAMPAENG PHET
Abused child maid awarded Bt4.6 million in damages

BANGKOK: -- A Kampaeng Phet Court has awarded more than Bt4.6million in compensation to a Karen housemaid who was tortured and illtreated by Thai employers, the Human Rights and Development Foundation (HRDF) said Tuesday.

Kampaeng Phet Court on Monday read the ruling in the civil suit filed by Mo Wateng, custodian of the housemaid who was identified only as Air against hyer former employers Natee Taengon and Rattanakorn Piyaworatham.

The Court ordered the two defendants to collectively award the plaintiff Bt4,603,233 for damages including Bt303,233 incurred in medical expenses at Bangkok's Ramathibodi Hospital, Bt800,000 for future medical treatment, Bt1 million damages for disability to work of at least 50 years, and Bt700,000 for a loss of ability to reproduce.

However, the exact amount to be received by the damaged parties is dependent on further actions to acquire assets belonging to the employers.

The case emerged around 2009, when Air, then 7, disappeared from the living quarters of her parents, migrant workers from Myanmar migrant employed to work on a sugar cane plantation in Kamphaeng Phet.

On January 31, 2013, Air escaped from the house and was initially helped by samaritans before receiving help and shelter from officers.

Air said she had been abducted by her parents' former employers and forced to serve as a housemaid in the couple's house. She also suffered abuse at their hands and sustained grievous injuries including severe burns from boiling water deliberately poured over her.

At present, the two employers, also facing a separate criminal lawsuit, are still at large after jumping police bail.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Abused-child-maid-awarded-Bt4-6-million-in-damages-30237511.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-01

• Like 1

They jumped bail. In Thailand you can hide for years, even for your whole life without getting caught. People that jump bail can apply for an identity card like anyone else, they can buy land, they can do business, get a drivers license and even pay a traffic fine. There's no database which allows them to get caught at these points. As long as they don't put their real address in a house registration book they will never get caught. It's a very easy to get your name in the house registration book of a place where you're not living. There's no reason to be happy.

I kinda have experience with this, there's an arrest warrant against somebody that ever caused me serious problems. They just can't catch him, because he always registers his name in house registration books of places where he's not living.

Edited by kriswillems

The case emerged around 2009, when Air, then 7, disappeared from the living quarters of her parents, migrant workers from Myanmar migrant employed to work on a sugar cane plantation in Kamphaeng Phet.

I'm not that religious but for evil persons who enslave seven year olds, I want to believe that there is a hell and that they burn in it.

• Like 1

Great news !! Wonder if the general has a hand in this case. If so , bravo. One of the most

horrendous cases of child abuse I have ever seen. Immediately after this case, they both went

on the lam to Cambodia to escape prosecution. I suspect they spent a few months there,

and then quietly slipped back into Thailand and changed their names. But as I recall they

left some assets here, so that can be grabbed and sold while they are cowering nearby in

a neighbor's house..... If Thailand wants to regain some of its shine regarding cracking

down on abuse and trafficking, this the perfect case to do so by truly hammering this

couple.

I spent a lot of time writing charitable organisations around the world trying to get some

aid for Air. I received no offers of help from anyone. I had enclosed photos of her, and some

how I had the sense that this case was so terrible no one wanted to be involved in it.... :-(

Afraid to even ask why she cannot produce children. Guess pouring boiling water on

her was not enough fun for these monsters....... When this couple is caught and convicted,

in order to raise money for Air, I propose an auction, with the highest bidder allowed an

hour with these monsters in cages, and access to lots of boiling water. I am sure this

would be an educational experience for them to understand pain, so really it would be

helping them.......

Your last two sentences are probably why you didn't get any support.

The opening one doesn't help, either.

• Like 2

And she won't get a penny.................

It's too <deleted> up for words.

The sub humans that did this will never get caught, are probably not even being pursued and are unlikely ever to be held to account.

Meanwhile, don't read the wrong book in public.

Damned Phil, you took the words out of my mouth.

All this is a big show and a charade of the military to ease the people.

The Karen child will get nothing and he 2 perpetrators will live happy to the end of their life somewhere on a beautiful island protected by the NON-CORRUPT police.

• Like 1

She will never collect.

It is not enough any way.

Why ?? Ostensibly they have fled Thailand to Cambodia to escape punishment.

So they have abandoned everything they owned here. It would seem to be a

pretty simple process to liquidate whatever they owned here , and then give the proceeds to

Aire. But yes, I agree not enough. In America a lawsuit of this case would yield

a judgement in the many millions of dollars .

With a new sheriff in town , things are happening quick.

I thought this case had long since been swept under the rug, was amazed to

see it pop back up. Must be a coincidence....... :-)

As I recall in this case, there was a highly placed person that supposed to have

helped them escape to Cambodia. Cannot recall if it was a military person

or a policeman.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Great news !! Wonder if the general has a hand in this case. If so , bravo. One of the most

horrendous cases of child abuse I have ever seen. Immediately after this case, they both went

on the lam to Cambodia to escape prosecution. I suspect they spent a few months there,

and then quietly slipped back into Thailand and changed their names. But as I recall they

left some assets here, so that can be grabbed and sold while they are cowering nearby in

a neighbor's house..... If Thailand wants to regain some of its shine regarding cracking

down on abuse and trafficking, this the perfect case to do so by truly hammering this

couple.

I spent a lot of time writing charitable organisations around the world trying to get some

aid for Air. I received no offers of help from anyone. I had enclosed photos of her, and some

how I had the sense that this case was so terrible no one wanted to be involved in it.... :-(

Afraid to even ask why she cannot produce children. Guess pouring boiling water on

her was not enough fun for these monsters....... When this couple is caught and convicted,

in order to raise money for Air, I propose an auction, with the highest bidder allowed an

hour with these monsters in cages, and access to lots of boiling water. I am sure this

would be an educational experience for them to understand pain, so really it would be

helping them.......

Your last two sentences are probably why you didn't get any support.

The opening one doesn't help, either.

Uh ok. Oh wait , one of the greatest thinkers ever, Thomas Jefferson wanted to do the same

thing to criminals. He seems to have had a lot of support ..... :-) Regarding your opinion

of the letters I wrote, epic fail. I wrote some very articulate and polite letters, and kept my

personal opinion to myself. OMG ,do you think I was writing major international foundations

and telling them of my desire to see vengeance done to these monsters ?? wai2.gif

http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/documents/amendVIIIs10.html

Proposed amendment VIII by Thomas Jefferson 1778

And forasmuch the experience of all ages and countries hath shewn that cruel and sanguinary laws defeat their own purpose by engaging the benevolence of mankind to withold prosecutions, to smother testimony, or to listen to it with bias, when, if the punishment were only proportioned to the injury, men would feel it their inclination as well as their duty to see the laws observed.

Please post your letters and photographs here, together with details of who you sent them to and let's try raise some money to help the kid.

".........I spent a lot of time writing charitable organisations around the world trying to get some

aid for Air. I received no offers of help from anyone. I had enclosed photos of her,.........."

I have never been able to work out how they calculate the financial value of these things in thailand. Often it is 1000 years in jail and or a fine of 5,000 baht for example.

This girl deserves every single penny that these people have ever had in their possession, and then she deserves compensation from the government in the form of a disability pension forever, along with free healthcare and assistance for housing. This is a national disgrace what these people committed and she should be compensated.

• Like 2

Wonderful news. clap2.gifsmile.png

I wish the young lady all the best for what she can make of her future after such a horrendous episode in her life. As for the two cruel perpetrators, may they suffer equally.

Indeed wonderful news, at least it was supposed to be, but you missed the most important line in the article

At present, the two employers, also facing a separate criminal lawsuit, are still at large after jumping police bail.

Now even if they find them one day, you think air will receive a single Baht ?

• Like 1

They look so normal. I assume there is still a bounty of 100,000 on them ,

so keep a sharp eye out . At one point when this story broke, somebody

published their home address but I cannot find it right now . Would be

interesting to stop by their house to see if they are there. Cannot imagine

they would last very long in Cambodia.....

Mr. Nathee Taeng-orn, age 35, and Ms. Rattanakorn Piyavoratharm, age 33. Two suspects in the case failed to report for questioning with the police on February 18, 2013, and are now wanted on 100,000 baht bounty.

Thai_couple_abusers-621x340.jpg

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/southeast-asia/thailand-how-the-cops-failed-tortured-girl-myanmar

As she told the Daily News, it was "like falling into hell".

This is what hell looks like, in case you were wondering, and the devils that work there have black hair.

Karen-girl-tortured1.png

The police did not come out very well in this case, I am sure they wish the whole thing would go away. So let's say you are a Thai policeman. A very young Burmese girl comes in who tells you that she has been held captive and tortured by a Thai couple, and clearly shows evidence of it.

Do you :

1. Immediately put her into protective custody and launch an investigation?

2. Return her to the couple who was torturing her ?

Yes the epic fail response of the the Thai police was choice 2

http://www.dvb.no/news/burma-to-help-karen-girl-%E2%80%98enslaved-and-tortured%E2%80%99-in-thailand/26415

"“Once I tried to escape about three years ago. But there was someone who sent me to the police, and the police took me back to the house owners again,” she told police. “My running away made them so much angry, they hit my head against the wall, and used a shoe to slap at my face, and used the scissors to cut at my ears for punishment.”

Edited by EyesWideOpen

The sub humans that did this will never get caught, are probably not even being pursued and are unlikely ever to be held to account.

The Karen child will get nothing and he 2 perpetrators will live happy to the end of their life somewhere on a beautiful island protected by the NON-CORRUPT police.

It's appalling that such evil scum like this are allowed bail for such a serious crime, knowing the habit in Thailand to jump bail.

It's appalling that the inept and often corrupt RTP probably won't be able to catch them even if they try hard.

It's appalling that this poor and horrendously abused young girl probably won't get much if any of the amounts awarded, again thanks to corruption.

It's also appalling that people on TV try and make political capital out of this. The crime happened in 2009. This has been going through the inept judicial system for some time.

The criminal justice and law enforcement systems want urgent reform. But really, to suggest this is some stunt by the military is too ridiculous for words. And, more importantly deflects from the real issues of this very sickening case. Shame on you.

• Like 1

They look so normal. I assume there is still a bounty of 100,000 on them ,

so keep a sharp eye out . At one point when this story broke, somebody

published their home address but I cannot find it right now . Would be

interesting to stop by their house to see if they are there. Cannot imagine

they would last very long in Cambodia.....

Mr. Nathee Taeng-orn, age 35, and Ms. Rattanakorn Piyavoratharm, age 33. Two suspects in the case failed to report for questioning with the police on February 18, 2013, and are now wanted on 100,000 baht bounty.

Thai_couple_abusers-621x340.jpg

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/southeast-asia/thailand-how-the-cops-failed-tortured-girl-myanmar

As she told the Daily News, it was "like falling into hell".

This is what hell looks like, in case you were wondering, and the devils that work there have black hair.

Karen-girl-tortured1.png

The police did not come out very well in this case, I am sure they wish the whole thing would go away. So let's say you are a Thai policeman. A very young Burmese girl comes in who tells you that she has been held captive and tortured by a Thai couple, and clearly shows evidence of it.

Do you :

1. Immediately put her into protective custody and launch an investigation?

2. Return her to the couple who was torturing her ?

Yes the epic fail response of the the Thai police was choice 2

http://www.dvb.no/news/burma-to-help-karen-girl-%E2%80%98enslaved-and-tortured%E2%80%99-in-thailand/26415

"“Once I tried to escape about three years ago. But there was someone who sent me to the police, and the police took me back to the house owners again,” she told police. “My running away made them so much angry, they hit my head against the wall, and used a shoe to slap at my face, and used the scissors to cut at my ears for punishment.”

What's really sad is the lack of public outcry against this in Thailand. Act like this in any civilized country and you'd be hoping to be arrested before people dished out some justice of their own. Here - nothing. No rage, no scouring the country for this scum or campaigns to help the young lady.

Any "influential" connections who protect this vile pair should be named and shamed. And the officers who returned her the first time should be dismissed and prosecuted for gross negligence.

It won't happen because as always Thailand prefers to sweep it all under the carpet and money and power always trump right and justice.

• Like 1

It's appalling that such evil scum like this are allowed bail for such a serious crime, knowing the habit in Thailand to jump bail.

It's appalling that the inept and often corrupt RTP probably won't be able to catch them even if they try hard.

It's appalling that this poor and horrendously abused young girl probably won't get much if any of the amounts awarded, again thanks to corruption.

It's also appalling that people on TV try and make political capital out of this. The crime happened in 2009. This has been going through the inept judicial system for some time.

The criminal justice and law enforcement systems want urgent reform. But really, to suggest this is some stunt by the military is too ridiculous for words. And, more importantly deflects from the real issues of this very sickening case. Shame on you.

She was kidnapped in 2009. She escaped on Jan 31 2013. The couple was arrested on Feb. 7 2013 . Their lawyer posted bail for them of 700,000 baht, and they walked the same day, never

to be seen again. So really this case has been grinding away in the Thai " justice system" for a little over a year. Supposedly they are connected to a " influential figure" but he was never spelled out. The man is an engineer in a factory, and the wife owns a dog grooming salon.

Hard to say what the influence of the military is right now. Just seems like a lot of dead cases

have sprung to life in the last month. Could be a coincidence ...... And you are right, anyone that would try to make political capital out of this case is sick.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

What's really sad is the lack of public outcry against this in Thailand. Act like this in any civilized country and you'd be hoping to be arrested before people dished out some justice of their own. Here - nothing. No rage, no scouring the country for this scum or campaigns to help the young lady.

Any "influential" connections who protect this vile pair should be named and shamed. And the officers who returned her the first time should be dismissed and prosecuted for gross negligence.

It won't happen because as always Thailand prefers to sweep it all under the carpet and money and power always trump right and justice.

Not true. There was a fund for donations set up for Nong Air. By August of last year it had raised 600,000 Baht from members of the public.

There was wide outrage shown on the Thai language forums. I read posts from Thais where the couples' address was given out and calls were made for anyone living near their house to go round and beat them up.

Edited by katana

COURT
Abused Karen girl awarded Bt4.6m in damages

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- KAMPHAENG PHET Court has awarded more than Bt4.6 million in compensation to an ethnic-Karen girl, identified only as Air, for the torture and cruelty inflicted upon her from the age of seven by her employers, the Human Rights and Development Foundation (HRDF) said yesterday.

The verdict on the civil lawsuit filed by Air's custodian Mo Wateng on her behalf against Natee Taeng-on and Rattanakorn Piyawora-tham was issued on Monday.

The court ordered the two defendants collectively to award the plaintiff, who worked for them as a housemaid, Bt4,603,233 in damages including Bt303,233 for the medical expenses incurred at Bangkok's Ramathibodhi Hospi-tal, Bt800,000 future medical-treatment expenses, Bt1 million to compensate for the inability to work for at least 50 years, and Bt700,000 for the loss of the ability to reproduce.

However, the exact amount the damaged parties will receive depends on the amount of assets owned by the employers.

The case emerged in 2009, when seven-year-old Air disappeared from the living quarters of her parents, who were migrant workers from Myanmar in a sugar-cane plantation in Kamphaeng Phet. On January 31, 2013, Air managed to escape from her captors and was later sheltered by some officers, HRDF said.

According to Air, she had been abducted by her parents' former employers and had, since then, been forced to work as their maid.

The employers inflicted abuse causing serious injuries as well |as scalding her with boiling water.

The couple, who are also facing a separate criminal lawsuit, |have jumped bail and are still at large.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Abused-Karen-girl-awarded-Bt4-6m-in-damages-30237555.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-02

Not true. There was a fund for donations set up for Nong Air. By August of last year it had raised 600,000 Baht from members of the public.

There was wide outrage shown on the Thai language forums. I read posts from Thais where the couples' address was given out and calls were made for anyone living near their house to go round and beat them up.

So has the young lady received this money? Who is actually looking after her interests?

And the outcome of all this anger poured out on social media?

The two scumbags are still free. An engineer and a dog groomer - shouldn't be that hard to find for any competent police force with all this public help then should it?

Wonderful news. clap2.gifsmile.png

I wish the young lady all the best for what she can make of her future after such a horrendous episode in her life. As for the two cruel perpetrators, may they suffer equally.

Indeed wonderful news, at least it was supposed to be, but you missed the most important line in the article

Now even if they find them one day, you think air will receive a single Baht ?

A reminder what the two monsters look like.

post-94947-0-86674600-1404277640_thumb.j

Edited by Skywalker69

I keep hearing the word 'judiciary' but this is a civil case.

They are obviously waiting to see if the culprits are rounded up before proceeding with the criminal case.

This is where the statute of limitations in Thailand is a complete joke, there should be NO limits on criminal prosecution. If this couple of monsters can stay under the radar for 10 years, they will likely be able to come back into society with a clean sheet... Disgraceful.

When the reforms of the judiciary kicks in, the first thing to go should be the statute of limitations, then secondly criminal cases should not be paused while a criminal is in flight. the criminal courts should continue the process and find the defendants guilty by default citing their absconding as an admission of guilt.

In cases dealt with in 'absentia' due to the defendant absconding, then the sentence should be quadrupled with no possibility of royal pardon or early release... Those rights should be totally removed.

That would hand the criminal at large the choice of facing their punishment with say 10 years in prison with the possibility of being free in 5 years, or taking the risk of staying in hiding and getting 40 years and serving every minute of it if they get caught.

It won't bring them all out, but would definitely bring a hell of a lot out to face the music.... I know what I would choose between a probable 5 years and a possible 40 years.

The police officer who made the decision to send her back to her captives should face prison for complicity to all acts of abuse suffered during the time between her return and escape. He basically assisted in these crimes.

Edited by lostsoul49
  • Like 1