Icon Siam: Mother of all malls to sprawl along Chao Phraya River

webfact

The problem with the area along Charoen Nakhon Road is that its just not easily accessible like most of the other shopping centres are.

Well Smut... I'd argue that there are no easily accessible shopping malls in Bkk via automobile. There is however very likely the chance that a MRT or BTS link will suddenly and quite mysteriously pop up with direct access to the newly proposed waste of space mega project.

Thats fair, although most of the city center ones are readily accessible via either BTS or MRT, especially those along Sukhumvit, and although slow in the traffic it is not difficult to find your way into the others. I find Charoen Rd annoying, having to do U turns etc and u turns being blocked when traffic is heavy etc. I went down to the River Condo a couple of times and getting in and out of there is sometimes a nightmare, especially if you want to go right out of the exit across the traffic.

Speaking of shopping centers, i really cannot get my head around Central Embassy, i just find the whole location/concept difficult to fathom. Difficult to exit, no BTS link. From Ploenchit you have to start running across roads, probably to far for most of the target clientele to walk from Chidlom etc.

Hardly a "long" walk from BTS Ploenchit to Central Embassy. The walkways from that BTS station extend very well.

The traffic flow is always variable, as with all major cities. But the parking is always difficult in the Bangkok malls. Wonder if they will allow plenty of parking space in the design?

I meant it was a fair walk from Chidlom BTS for the types of people who Central is aimed at, especially when they have Central Chidlom store connected to Chidlom bts.

Ploenchit BTS is close but its a big traffic junction, with no sky bridge into the site, meaning the well to do will a) have to use the bts to start with B) have to navigate a busy junction to get there on foot. Both of which i see as potential trouble spots for them.

I would not be surprised to see the centre re-branded in the coming years.

And ever tried getting on BTS after 4.30 in the afternoon.

jb1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thainess, want always more and bigger .......

Nothing to do with being Thai. All over the world the buildings are getting bigger. Mainly because the technology now exists to make them bigger. This should help with traffic congestion, as it means people living that side of the river don't need to come across to the other side to visit a big mall.

I think the problem for many people on this forum is that they just can't stand seeing Thailand advance. Maybe poor expats who like living among even poorer locals. But now that the locals are getting richer, those expats feel poorer. I love that Thailand is developing so quickly. This is great news for Thai people.

Progress in a society is defined as more then mega luxurious malls and condos and technology, the overwhelming majority of which is not homegrown. If only shopping malls could also spurn intellectual analytical/ critical / creative processes in the general population. Do Taiwan, Korea and Japan not also have agro-feudal pasts?

It must be the same bunch of civil servants who approved the Central Festival at Pattaya's beach road. Each and every holiday/weekend an endless traffic nightmare.

The latest from that front is a 550 Rai piece of land flattened and steamrollered at Lake Mabprachan in the East of Pattaya near the Siam Country Golf Course, Polo Club and Horseshoe Point.
Unclear however remains, is it the Central Group, the Mall Group or whichever group stamping their presence on the Dark Side of Pattaya.

A month ago I was in Udon Thani, Saturday, for lunch at Sizzlers. The same week the Army had started paying out the long overdue rice payments. What a sight, all those Udon Thanians mixing with the Isanies; latter recognisable as wearing no shoes in those lovely fashion boutiques. Quo vadis - the Romans already asked this question without being able to answer it ;-)

A new stomping grounds for more pretentious pretenders in debt. I'll still go to markets buyin' copied goods; what is truly enjoyable and unique in the Big Mango.

Edited by gemini81

I hate all shopping malls and buying anything except food/pussy/alcohol and basic clothing.

That shopping list of yours takes me back to the good old days when I was single, well off and allowed to buy my own clothes. biggrin.png

I hate all shopping malls and buying anything except food/pussy/alcohol and basic clothing.

That shopping list of yours takes me back to the good old days when I was single, well off and allowed to buy my own clothes. biggrin.png

Those were the days; take me back.....

Thainess, want always more and bigger .......

Nothing to do with being Thai. All over the world the buildings are getting bigger. Mainly because the technology now exists to make them bigger. This should help with traffic congestion, as it means people living that side of the river don't need to come across to the other side to visit a big mall.

I think the problem for many people on this forum is that they just can't stand seeing Thailand advance. Maybe poor expats who like living among even poorer locals. But now that the locals are getting richer, those expats feel poorer. I love that Thailand is developing so quickly. This is great news for Thai people.

Average thai wage = less than the 30% tax on the out of date overpriced goods.

I am happy for anyone to improve their lives but do we need more of the same?

that is why THAI copies and Never innovates

Speaking of shopping centers, i really cannot get my head around Central Embassy, i just find the whole location/concept difficult to fathom. Difficult to exit, no BTS link. From Ploenchit you have to start running across roads, probably to far for most of the target clientele to walk from Chidlom etc.

"...no BTS link" Apart from the direct walkway access from Ploenchit BTS.

The location is okay as I think it it will be reached by boat from BTS Saphan Taksin and the existing pier for the major hotels; Peninsula, Oriental, Hilton etc

Two problems with that; they plan to close Saphan Taksin and the walk to the pier (50m) is disgusting with taxi drivers using the road as a toilet; definitely not 5 star!

Sheer madness, i hope it is earthquake proof!

.....and flood proof

I dont know this are ,,,how many malls are there already?

Apparently not enough

Sent from my C1904 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app