Thai Court Awards Abused Karen Girl $140K in Compensation

Lite Beer

Thai Court Awards Abused Karen Girl $140K in Compensation
By NYEIN NYEIN / THE IRRAWADDY|

610x374x6.-SZ-150213-Karen-Girl.jpg,Mce.

Thai reporters photograph a 12-year-old Karen girl who suffered extreme abuse at the hands of a Thai couple last year. The Thai prosecutor has thus far failed to open a criminal case against the perpetrators. (Photo: Pattaya Daily News)

BANMGKOK: -- A Karen girl who suffered horrific abuse while working as a maid for a Thai couple in Kampaeng Phet town, Thailand, has been awarded about US$143,000 in compensation by a local court, a Thai human rights worker said.

The Thai prosecutor, however, has not yet opened a criminal case against the perpetrators, who have fled.

Preeda Tongchumnum, the assistant to the secretary general of the Human Rights and Development Foundation (HRDF), said Kampaeng Phet Provincial Court ordered the accused Nathee Taengorn and Rattanakorn Piyavoratharm to pay the compensation sum (4,603,233 Thai baht) on Monday as the victim’s lawyers had demanded.

“The couple is still at large, but lawyers will investigate all of the employers’ properties to compensate her,” said Preeda. It remains unclear whether the couple, which ran a dog-selling business, has enough assets to generate the compensation the court awarded.

Preeda said the couple remains on the run and Thai police had made no progress in tracking them down, adding, “We need the police officers to work harder to find this couple.”

HRDF helped the 12-year-old, ethnic Karen girl file a civil case complaint after she managed to escape from her abusive employers on Jan. 31 last year.

The young girl suffered extensive damage done to her skin through repeated scalding allegedly inflicted by the couple, whom she accused of abducting her five years ago and forcing her to work as a house maid.

Poilice investigated Nathee Taengorn and Rattanakorn Piyavoratharm for child abuse, child labor and illegal detention. Despite the seriousness of the charges, the Thai court released Nathee Taengorn and Rattanakorn Piyavoratharm on bail last year and the couple has since fled.

Although more than a year has passed since the girl fled, the Thai prosecutor has failed to open a criminal case against the couple.

“In the criminal case, police officers already have proved their findings to the prosecutor. Now the investigation file is in the hands of the public prosecutor. As of now, they [the couple] are not present and not arrested, and there is no criminal lawsuit against them,” Preeda said.

It remains unclear why the Thai prosecutor has not yet opened a criminal case to prosecute those responsible for the horrific abuse of the child, but her status as an unregistered migrant from Burma could have affected the case as Thai authorities are sometimes loath to act in defense of migrants.

Millions of poor migrants from Cambodia and Burma have entered Thailand in search of a better life and many cross into the country illegally, leaving them vulnerable to labor abuse by Thai employers and with little legal recourse in case of abuses.

The Karen girl continues to receive healthcare treatment for her wounds, some of which have caused lifelong health problems, at Mahidol University’s Ramathibodi hospital in Bangkok.

Her left arm was damaged because of continuous abuse and she was unable to bend it towards the body or to stretch it. She has received corrective surgery for her arm, while also undergoing psychological treatment by a pediatrician and psychologist for the mental trauma she suffered.

“She is still being taken care of at a [government] shelter in Kampaeng Phet, but she goes to Bangkok hospital whenever the doctor calls her for treatment,” said Preeda, adding that the victims’ parents continue to work in the town.

“She cannot make a 100 percent recovery, but the doctor will help her to move her body like any other person,” said Preeda, adding that the considerable compensation sum was awarded because the young girl must endure life-long health conditions.

“Compensation is not just about the damage happened before, it is also for future cost, such as medical treatment and things that she has lost, like her beauty…. She can have a baby but her ability to breast feed maybe not possible as she lost such organs due to abuse,” Preeda said.

“I think it is very good precedent for those who want to bring lawsuit against perpetrator,” she said about the case.

Source: http://www.irrawaddy.org/burma/thai-court-awards-abused-karen-girl-140k-compensation.html

--Irrawaddy 2014-07-02

• Like 1

A case like this would go a long way to educate in the schools what 'civil duty' is.

I can only think, 'a brave little girl'. She has a lot more operations ahead of her, together with the pain and suffering these operations will bring. I hope one of the major burns hospital takes on the girls future care and rehabilitation.

My daughter is 11.

The perps need to spend plenty of time in the new max prisons, but they also need to do work with people affected by major burns.

• Like 1

So why is that couple on the run now? They were so big and bad when they had to do what they did. So why not take responsibility for it now?? Two little b.... es.

There is no running away from good old karma. It's gonna catch up with them. I hope they are comfortable with that fact.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

What is wrong with you Thailand? You would think this would create an uproar in Thailand....the couple would have been hunted down/captured quickly. But no, the police and population in general don't really care.

This is Thailand, the land of smiles

I do not have the tech skills nor experience with social networks to do this but I think this disgracefull unforgivable act of cruely AND the lack of action from the local police should go viral on ALL the worlds social networks so at least those that had the power to act and those that now have the power to act will be shamed into acting NOW to help this poor young child.

She will never forget the pain and suffering she had to endure all those years, and for the pain and suffering she has yet to endure

At the very least catch the criminals and punish them and those that harbour them to the full extent of the law!

What about if each and every member of TV living/visiting Thailand ( I can't as I am currently not in LOS) print an A4 poster or 100 and put them up in every 7/11, Family Mart, Post Office, pub, bar, resturant, travel agents, laundries, massage parlors, parks, libraris, street vendors carts, in fact any <deleted> where (all with the proprieters/owners permission of course) and help to spread the word throughout Thailand.

Those business that don't give permission can be named and shamed and then you can chose to make it known that you and your friends will take your business elsewhere!

Maybe even have the images of those wanted animals can be printed on T'Shirts, cofffe cups, hats etc etc, and sell them and the profits then go into a fund for her future health care. Just a thought!

Or can the powers that be in TV Forum organise some sort charity or collection for her? I dont even know if its legal!

I am just <deleted> andry and ranting off here so if it does not make sense then so be it. I just felt it had to be said!

• Like 1

“In the criminal case, police officers already have proved their findings to the prosecutor. Now the investigation file is in the hands of the public prosecutor. As of now, they [the couple] are not present and not arrested, and there is no criminal lawsuit against them,” Preeda said.

It remains unclear why the Thai prosecutor has not yet opened a criminal case to prosecute those responsible for the horrific abuse of the child, but her status as an unregistered migrant from Burma could have affected the case as Thai authorities are sometimes loath to act in defense of migrants.

This sums it all nice up for Thailand.

Thailand, the Land of Smiles where nobody is allowed to smile on any official document.

Hey Prayudth, what do you have to say about this?

You seem to do so much for the country but nothing for a case that is biting you in the ar.....

Confused scum, shut the f... up.

I think that you perhaps never suffered at the hands of a vindictive person, in which case, you should not come on here spouting off as if you have something valuable to contribute.

I was beaten up, not brought up, and I have the marks to back this up...!! So my sympathies are with the terrible pain that this poor young girl has endured. My suffering was over 45 years ago, and it still haunts my dreams. Sadly, I feel that she will endure the same pains when she is 60 years old.

This has nothing to do with General Prayuth. If you want to blame anyone, then blame the police force and judicial system that existed under the Shin "government" (and I use the term very loosely) who conveniently turned a blind eye to what was going on here...!!

If you are incapable of reading such a story and finding compassion in your heart, as opposed to condemnation for someone who wasn't even involved, then you should get the f*** out of this forum...!!

• Like 2

What I also find disgusting is that they disrobed her and paraded her naked in front of photographers so they could all "get their shot". Totally dehumanizing for the girl. But, wait, she's Karen, not Thai, so it's okay I guess. Yeah, right!

+1000 Humiliating.

• Like 1

Forget the <deleted> police, there's nothing in it for them, get the army on the case. Waiting for someone to chime in with it doesn't just happen here blah blah. Perhaps not but the shambles with the police and the rest of it is Muang Thai - 'Buddhist' haven - all over. Disgusting!

Did they not arrest them and release them on bail ? Maybe I`m wrong.

Correct. They were arrested and taken to court. The police told the court they were not a

flight risk. Their lawyer posted the bail of 700,000 the same day, so they did not

spend a single night in jail. Then they immediately fled the country.....

• Like 1

No words can describe this. This isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened in this country, but it is by far the worst I have ever seen.

Broad international exposure will bring more substantive action than the judicial system ever will. We must do our part to bring this to the attention of international media.

FYI, EyesWideOpen posted an image of the perpetrators in this other thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/739104-abused-karen-child-maid-awarded-bt46-million-in-damages-kampaeng-phet/?p=8045462

Yes, they look like next door neighbors.

Edited by puuchaibaa

If she was a Thai citizen who was treated like that in Burma, Thailand would be screaming

bloody murder. To that end, I would love to see Burma step up to the plate and demand

action on this case. To that end, just threaten to cut off gas supplies to Thailand until the couple

that are the abusers are brought to justice. Thailand would send a commando team to

Cambodia and have this couple rounded up in three days......

They should show the photo's of the people who did it not the victim.

Here is what monsters look like.....

xThai_couple_abusers-621x340.jpg.pagespe

I’m surprised they look so normal, only a truly cruel sadistic psychopathic personality could inflict that kind of demonic torture on a 12 year old child. The child’s body scaring is so horrific it took me a few seconds to figure out what exactly I was looking at when I saw the picture. These people are a danger to the planet they must be permanently removed from society, as soon as possible.

• Like 2