Difficult to have hard saddlebag mounts fabricated?

So I have a 'vintage' FZR400R in Bangkok, which is this thing

fzr400rr.jpg

For the longest time I wanted hard, lockable saddlebags for it. Seemed it would be incredibly useful as I could carry things, and actually lock stuff in the bike.

So I was thinking of getting these things:

749048414_o.jpg

was going to refurb them. Paint them white (I guess it would match the 'vintage' style of the bike), and have them installed on the FZR.

When the FZR came out, there were no hard saddle bag mounting kits. These saddlebags were made for a different bike, and the mounting kits aren't readily available anymore. The mounts on the bags look like this:

749048427_o.jpg

So the question is do you think it would be hard to have saddlebag mounts custom fabricated in Thailand (particularly BKK), and does anyone know of someone who may be able to do it? Thx.

you can get saddle bad mounts done in Bangkok, no that hard.

they do custom job or all kinds of adventure bikes here.

check big bike shops from mocyc.com and ask them. especially the ones working on kawasaki versys and honda cb500x.

prices also not that bad.

cool bike you have there. do you use it for long time?

Actually Casualbiker, your mounts look kind of promising. Givi makes mounting hardware for the FZ6 (which is a related model to the FZR400) http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIVI-YAMAHA-FZ6-2004-06-SIDE-CASE-MOUNT-KIT-PL351-/201117481534?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ed3893a3e&vxp=mtr

I like the Givi cases, but they're kind of pricey. The ones I was looking at are less than $40 for the pair.

What bikes does your mounting kit fit?

Edited by submaniac

check big bike shops from mocyc.com and ask them. especially the ones working on kawasaki versys and honda cb500x.

Hi, and thank you. Yeah, I've had it a while. Got in in the days when you couldn't get the larger cc bikes in Thailand, and all you could get was the old style cbr150. Suits my puposes. I like a high revving Japanese i4, and its a nice small size that I can manuever, even in BKK.

Still love it, really. Suits my purposes great. Just wanted the hard bags to turn it into kind of a mini sport tourer.

• Like 1

Actually Casualbiker, your mounts look kind of promising. Givi makes mounting hardware for the FZ6 (which is a related model to the FZR400) http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIVI-YAMAHA-FZ6-2004-06-SIDE-CASE-MOUNT-KIT-PL351-/201117481534?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ed3893a3e&vxp=mtr

I like the Givi cases, but they're kind of pricey. The ones I was looking at are less than $40 for the pair.

What bikes does your mounting kit fit?

It is parts of the universal kit. I think it was to fit an Er6. I had it on a VX800 and was going to fit it to a cbr. Just look at the E21 bags.. cheap as..

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Dr bike made me a custom bracket but it wasn't all that cheap

About 10k I think

If I had known the price in advance I'd have probably switched my choice of luggage lol but he said it was difficult to make it and they spent a lot of time on it, even though I guess the mechanics still get 300 a day lol

it has to be much more cheaper than 10 k thb. But it depends on your sub frame as well. if they need to do a lot of modifications, then price might go up.

I remember, they do custom protectors and pannier mounts all over cb500x for 5000 - 6000 thb.

5-6k I could live with. 10k is pushing it, but may be worth it. I will have to check it out. Thanks everyone.

5 - 6 price is also for protectors connected all over the bike not only pannier mounts.

Mounts only has to be cheaper.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

5-6k I could live with. 10k is pushing it, but may be worth it. I will have to check it out. Thanks everyone.

it was discounted to 8k from 10k in the end but they wouldnt go any lower than that

apparently they had to use a 3rd party shop to fabricate one of the pieces with a laser metal cutter etc

and his head mechanic had to spend an entire day making things fit etc

still too much imo ,i was expecting 5-6k too but you live and learn i guess

always always always agree the price first before you let them take a spanner near your bike :)

• Like 1

I have saddlebags on my PXS, they are not lockable, I bought them from Amazon, I just sling them over the passenger seat and clip them on under the topbox. I suppose they could be stolen at a place like Lotus, but the would be thief would need to take some time finding the clips and unclipping them, and anything in my saddlebags that are stolen can easily be replaced, like groceries, although that's never happened yet.

My helmet gets locked under the seat which has plenty of room, or locked in the topbox.

Just get a rucksack it looks much cooler.

no rucksacks!!! I'm tired of rucksacks!!! When I go to tesco or something I have to carry it inside and everything. I would love to be able to leave stuff locked inside bag on the bike.

Just get a rucksack it looks much cooler.

no rucksacks!!! I'm tired of rucksacks!!! When I go to tesco or something I have to carry it inside and everything. I would love to be able to leave stuff locked inside bag on the bike.

55555 Thought you were going on tour. I just send Mrs. ATF shopping. On the rare occasion she makes me accompany her we take the car.