International bandwidth issues

Soi Dog

I have a TOT router and although the TOT bandwidth test tells me that I am getting 11 Mbps download speeds, many websites, such as BBC and YouTube, are not responding while local ones such as Nation have no problem. Is any body else experiencing this difficulty?

I use TOT, paying for 10MGB in Mae Onn. Usually very reliable with speeds of 8.56 wifi average. Since Wednesday the service has been abysmal even for local stuff like CM news. Overseas stuff I repeatedly get a timed-out. Am waitlisted with 3BB optical.

in our condo we have proposal from a ISP which has a very fast optic cable to a housing estate in the neighbourhood...they will connect our condo to this optic fibre cable but as it is too expensive to connect every single apartment they will convert this signal to a "box" in the basement near our telephone exchange and then every occupant of the condo can connect to this "box" with the old and normal copper tel line(s) and obtain what is called VDSL with download speeds of 30 Mbps and higher.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/vdsl.htm

Does this really work in Thailand?

in our condo we have proposal from a ISP which has a very fast optic cable to a housing estate in the neighbourhood...they will connect our condo to this optic fibre cable but as it is too expensive to connect every single apartment they will convert this signal to a "box" in the basement near our telephone exchange and then every occupant of the condo can connect to this "box" with the old and normal copper tel line(s) and obtain what is called VDSL with download speeds of 30 Mbps and higher.

Good luck with that.

I have an independant FO line to my house. I get over 40 down and 10 up. When connecting to a site outside Thailand it drops to 2.8 down and less than 1 up.

Fibre Optic will give you faster speed within Thailand, but they do not give you additional bandwidth outside of Thailand.

If you are going to connect X condo owners to a single line, I doubt you will get anywhere near 30 mbps.

BTW.. the link you provided discribes how US providers provide service. They do not restrict BW like they do here in Thailand.

Plus.. connecting to the FO box via copper cable restricts the value that FO brings. JMO

Edited by Jeffrey346
  • Like 2

Good luck with that.

I have an independant FO line to my house. I get over 40 down and 10 up. When connecting to a site outside Thailand it drops to 2.8 down and less than 1 up.

Fibre Optic will give you faster speed within Thailand, but they do not give you additional bandwidth outside of Thailand.

If you are going to connect X condo owners to a single line, I doubt you will get anywhere near 30 mbps.

BTW.. the link you provided discribes how US providers provide service. They do not restrict BW like they do here in Thailand.

Plus.. connecting to the FO box via copper cable restricts the value that FO brings. JMO

Thanks a lot Jeffrey346 : the ISP will come next week to our condo and - as a free test - connect me to their VDSL during 3 days. You warning is most welcome because I bought an IPTV box (brand name PPi) which sends to my television set only "buffering" pictures.. T.I.T I would be happy to pay for 30 Mbps and get only 15 Mbps....but I need by all means these 15 Mbps from oversees servers.

Good luck with that.

Thanks a lot Jeffrey346 : the ISP will come next week to our condo and - as a free test - connect me to their VDSL during 3 days. You warning is most welcome because I bought an IPTV box (brand name PPi) which sends to my television set only "buffering" pictures.. T.I.T I would be happy to pay for 30 Mbps and get only 15 Mbps....but I need by all means these 15 Mbps from oversees servers.

Question the copper wire. Have them connect to MLB in the US. Their website has a true speed test and see what you actually get.

My gut tells me they may provide your condo 50 mbps or better to the box which could compensate for the copper wire and you just may get 15-30mbps.

Regarding your iptv. I am not familiar with PPI. I am currently looking at Maige.

I'm on a True docsis line. Subscription on the invoice says 15Mb down, but I'm getting about 20Mbit down. Of course that is only within Thailand. The connections to the rest of the world is pathetic! Can't watch YouTube without major hick ups and lag. Most likely this will stay for years to come, since Thailand doesn't give a f..k about these international connections!

• Like 1

Good luck with that.

Plus.. connecting to the FO box via copper cable restricts the value that FO brings. JMOus

"BTW.. the link you provided describes how US providers provide service. They do not restrict BW like they do here in Thailand."

That's true, but many servers throttle including Microsoft. I can never get more than 5MB from them when downloading a large file. Lots of companies do that especially during peak times.

I'll say again what I said in the other thread. When I am in Thailand and experience very slow international, I have gotten very convinced that the Thai ISPs weren't buying enough bandwidth from their upstreams. I run ping and tracert so it can't be the browser, and I use google dns. I also ping by IP address to bypass dns.

BandWidth out to the World has unfortunately long time been a common problem here in Thailand. Little, but not much help to have a faster connection line. BW may vary from different areas and at various times, so one day you get both sunshine and tailwind, other days cloudy and head wind, that's the days one shall not try to watch YouTube or other video...

Good luck with that.

Plus.. connecting to the FO box via copper cable restricts the value that FO brings. JMOus

"BTW.. the link you provided describes how US providers provide service. They do not restrict BW like they do here in Thailand."

That's true, but many servers throttle including Microsoft. I can never get more than 5MB from them when downloading a large file. Lots of companies do that especially during peak times.

I'll say again what I said in the other thread. When I am in Thailand and experience very slow international, I have gotten very convinced that the Thai ISPs weren't buying enough bandwidth from their upstreams. I run ping and tracert so it can't be the browser, and I use google dns. I also ping by IP address to bypass dns.

I don't think the issue is not enough BW. My ISP has 1gig down if you want to pay for it.

It has nothing to do with international or local bandwidth. For the last week or ten days I have been getting many time out responses on many of the international news sites, msnbc, bbc, cnn etc. Have also found that dailymail.co.uk is blocked. However if I use something like TOR or another proxy service as a proxy the sites pop right up with little delay. Normally in the past using a proxy is slower than normal Internet, my bet would be it has something to do with the filtering and monitoring that is currently going on or purposely causing DNS delays.in order to discourage Thai's from reading international news that may be critical of the takeover

International routing is horrible, not enough bandwidth nothing more to say. The local DNS (my personal experience is with TOT) are notorious for issues, notwithstanding the filtering that goes on which I'm sure has stepped up a notch. Use a google DNS 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 or buy a DNS masking service, they're pretty cheap, around $50/year or less

International routing is horrible, not enough bandwidth nothing more to say. The local DNS (my personal experience is with TOT) are notorious for issues, notwithstanding the filtering that goes on which I'm sure has stepped up a notch. Use a google DNS 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 or buy a DNS masking service, they're pretty cheap, around $50/year or less

Apparently many of you are not familiar with how the internet really works. First I suggest you take a look at this article explaining the different types of internet connections.

And as for specifying you own DNS address if you do you should also use the IPV6 address protocol as well (these techniques only work if you have a direct connection to the Internet, in Thailand that is rare). Now with that being said if you are using TOT and a DSL connection as I suspect many of you are, (and that is what I’m discussing here) specifying this inside of Windows will make no difference at all and if anything it will cause additional delay’s as you are on the inside of TOT’s firewall. This means even though you have told Windows to use the Google DNS server your internet request is still handled by the TOT DNS server first. (you might be lucky and have a router that will let you specify your own DNS, but still may not work with their server)

The advertised speeds of 10mb or whatever is not the true speed, as DSL (copper lines -POTS Lines) were never designed to carry data and actually have a physical limit of speed in which they can pass data and it’s not 10mb. The advertised speeds are accomplished by using a series of compression techniques and a series of cache servers. So if you request some obscure page or file that has most likely not been cached onto one of their servers already that mean’s their server has to go out find and download the page or file and then pass the data to you.

Now you add in the filtering protocols and the monitoring protocols that are now in place and you have a recipe for clogged Internet pipes.

Sooo apparently the only way for most of us to get our speed back is by by-passing all that in the first place by using a proxy service. There are many TOR is free but there are also many paid ones. Now mostly proxy servers are used for privacy and in doing so a lot of things may not work as you expect, i.e. Java, Flash video, etc… but many of them can be configured to work and operate as a normal browser but by doing so you forgo much of the privacy you expect from a proxy server. Also most governments are aware of most of the proxy services and by using one may automatically put you on their radar, this is true in the USA at least.

Proxy server’s work basically like this:

1. You make a connection to the proxy server, your ISP sees you have made that one connection.
  2. You do all of your web surfing or whatever, the data is collected by the proxy server and passed to you.
  3. Your ISP still only sees that you have made only the one connection. They may be aware (and probably are that it is a proxy service) they see a lot of bandwidth or data being passed but can not read any of the data as it is encrypted until it reaches your computer
  4. You exit the Internet and end your proxy connection, leaving no tracks or traces on your computer unless you did some tweaking to allow other things thus compromising privacy
  • Like 2

Malaysia has very good internet, I wonder if there are good links between Malay and Thailand?

One could use a free proxy in Malasia to boost their internet if Malay and Thai links are better than the usual international links.

Malaysia has very good internet, I wonder if there are good links between Malay and Thailand?

One could use a free proxy in Malasia to boost their internet if Malay and Thai links are better than the usual international links.

The primary cable between Thailand and the rest of the world is the Asia-America Gateway (AAG). There's no special link between Thailand and Malaysia that I know of, so I doubt there'd be any benefit proxying in Malaysia. For traffic routed via Hong Kong it would potentially be worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Well if you want to do real internationnal bandwith test i suggest to use this one :

http://vision-france.com/test_vitesse_internet_iptv.html

And if you can collect some result could be nice for everyone...

I wouldn't trust this test because it was giving me faster than light ping times of around 28ms. But the download/upload speeds seem OK...I got a download speed of 3Mb on True DOCSIS/cable 15Mb plan

n0TeLJC.u86S245.png
From Bkk to the USA done with testmy.net on a ToT line

BTW if you all read your contracts with your ISP you are only paying for the bandwidth from you to their server in Thailand only.

:::.. Internet Speed Test Result Details ..:::
Download Connection Speed:: 23280 Kbps or 23.3 Mbps
Download Speed Test Size:: 26.4 MB or 27008 kB or 27656192 bytes
Download Binary File Transfer Speed:: 2910 kB/s or 2.9 MB/s
Upload Connection Speed:: 4484 Kbps or 4.5 Mbps
Upload Speed Test Size:: 3.8 MB or 3904 kB or 3997696 bytes
Upload Binary File Transfer Speed:: 560 kB/s
Timed:: Download: 9.504 seconds | Upload: 7.133 seconds
Tested At:: http://TestMy.net Version 13
Test Time:: 2014-07-15 08:45:13 Local Time
Client Location:: TH http://testmy.net/country/th
Target:: San Jose, CA US http://west2.testmy.net
TiP Measurement Summary (Download):: Min 7.42 Mbps | Middle Avg 34.29 Mbps | Max 78.55 Mbps | 67% Variance
TiP Data Points:: 7.42 Mbps, 29.66 Mbps, 43.15 Mbps, 45.2 Mbps, 25.06 Mbps, 19.31 Mbps, 41.12 Mbps, 78.55 Mbps, 35.48 Mbps, 28.61 Mbps, 27.59 Mbps, 28.97 Mbps, 31.82 Mbps, 32.46 Mbps, 30.48 Mbps, 30.8 Mbps, 29.41 Mbps, 25.18 Mbps, 14.67 Mbps
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/35.0.1916.153 Safari/537.36 [!]
Edited by joncl

n0TeLJC.u86S245.png

From Bkk to the USA done with testmy.net on a ToT line

BTW if you all read your contracts with your ISP you are only paying for the bandwidth from you to their server in Thailand only.

:::.. Internet Speed Test Result Details ..:::
Download Connection Speed:: 23280 Kbps or 23.3 Mbps
Download Speed Test Size:: 26.4 MB or 27008 kB or 27656192 bytes
Download Binary File Transfer Speed:: 2910 kB/s or 2.9 MB/s
Upload Connection Speed:: 4484 Kbps or 4.5 Mbps
Upload Speed Test Size:: 3.8 MB or 3904 kB or 3997696 bytes
Upload Binary File Transfer Speed:: 560 kB/s
Timed:: Download: 9.504 seconds | Upload: 7.133 seconds
Tested At:: http://TestMy.net Version 13
Test Time:: 2014-07-15 08:45:13 Local Time
Client Location:: TH http://testmy.net/country/th
Target:: San Jose, CA US http://west2.testmy.net
TiP Measurement Summary (Download):: Min 7.42 Mbps | Middle Avg 34.29 Mbps | Max 78.55 Mbps | 67% Variance
TiP Data Points:: 7.42 Mbps, 29.66 Mbps, 43.15 Mbps, 45.2 Mbps, 25.06 Mbps, 19.31 Mbps, 41.12 Mbps, 78.55 Mbps, 35.48 Mbps, 28.61 Mbps, 27.59 Mbps, 28.97 Mbps, 31.82 Mbps, 32.46 Mbps, 30.48 Mbps, 30.8 Mbps, 29.41 Mbps, 25.18 Mbps, 14.67 Mbps
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/35.0.1916.153 Safari/537.36 [!]

It has been written several times...indeed the impressive speed a Thai ISP promises is ONLY to connect to Thai based servers

I did many tests with www.speedtest.net and 100 pct of the time the servers based in Bangkok reported 28 to 30 Mbps download but when connecting to servers abroad you have a very different picture ...

- to servers in the US East Coast, Melbourne and Munich I get most of the time 10 to 15 Mbps

- because I assume the server for IPTV MAIGE were in Shenzhen I did many tests in this direction and this morning at 09.30 I got 29 Mbps ...but usually it is much less

- there in one big exception : every Friday evening the international download speeds from all origins go down after about 4.00 p.m.....last Friday around 7.00 p.m and later it went down to 1 Mbps and even 0.4 Mbps

MAIGE-TV replied to me that the location of their servers is confidential and that I could try their servers in the USA...but if the location is confidential ???

I did many tests with www.speedtest.net and 100 pct of the time the servers based in Bangkok

As said above by Pib, do not use those faster than light speed tests .. use a java based tester like the one I posted above, if I use speedtest.net I get 100mbis on the same test to the USA, compaired to a real tester like testmy.net shows above.. One of them is telling lies and it is speedtest,net 99.9% of the time ..