Visa run Jakarta, Indonesia, is it easy ?

I have had a look around and see lots of reports on visas from many places, but I can't find much about people going to Jakarta in Indonesia. I am English, just want to get a single entry 60 day tourist visa to tide me over till I head a different direction. Has anyone ever gone to Jakarta to get a tourist visa ? I read you must have proof of a ticket to leave Thailand after the visa is over when you apply ? Does anyone have any experience in this matter they could tell me about please ? Thank you.

I worked in Jakarta for a couple of years, and it's not so pleasant. KL in my opinion is nicer. Good train to the city

Note that from today, a visa to enter Indonesia is now U$35.00. About an hour to the city by taxi.

As it's now Ramadan, the Embassy office hours might not be normal. Most restaurants closed in the day.

I worked in Jakarta for a couple of years, and it's not so pleasant. KL in my opinion is nicer. Good train to the city

Note that from today, a visa to enter Indonesia is now U$35.00. About an hour to the city by taxi.

As it's now Ramadan, the Embassy office hours might not be normal. Most restaurants closed in the day.

Ever since the stolen visa sticker issue, KL has become super strict and is no longer highly recommended as a place to go for pretty much any type of visa.

Have you given Penang any thought ? I cant honestly recommend Jakarta to anyone who doesnt have to go there, regardless of the nightlife. There are some things that modern man shouldnt have to endure and Jakarta's traffic is definitely one of those things. This is the city that sent a delegation to Bangkok in the hope of finding solutions to the daily gridlock, prompting gales of laughter from some on this board - are you sure you want any part of that ?

188628_620.jpg

Jakarta immigration will probably grill you more than the thai's. Real miserable bastards.

I worked in Jakarta for a few years and am married to an Indonesian. I hate Jakarta with a passion. Especially during Ramadan.

Malls are good though as are the clubs. I prefer (or used to, as I I don't go now) the clubs in Jakarta, a lot more genuine girls and better looking (and rich) who are interested in foreigners, not stuck up like the thai hi so's. If that's your cup of tea

If you've never been before, then you must go just to say you have. Should be easy to get a visa as they won't have many applicants, most embassies are relaxed in jkt

There are a lot more scams in jkt though so be careful and do your research before going or you'll be fleeced or worse. Not many speak English either and taxi drivers are mostly useless and don't know the way anywhere. As you've never been before and can't speak the language Stick with silverbird taxi's if you can and stay in a 5star

Edited by Grindting
  • Like 1

I definitely echo what has been reported before - Jakarta is not a welcoming place - insipid traffic with no alternative to use a subway/skytrain. If you want to visit Indonesia - better you visit Bali instead - and there is a Thai embassy there - but not sure how easy it is to get a visa.

I went to Jakarta last month for a triple entry tourist after emailing the Thai Embassy there.They are one of the few outside UK that issue these visas.Sadly i failed to ask enough about the requirements and was informed when i put my application in that i needed to show 3 travel tickets out of Thailand!.That wasn't doable as i had not made any onward plans.I had to rush back to my hotel and book a cheap flight to Cambodia for a time in the next 60 days,print it off and hand this in with my application to get only single entry.A real ball ache.And it took 3 hrs from airport to Jakarta central,i landed in the afternoon and was fed straight into the traffic chaos.Overall it was the worse experiance ive had obtaining a visa.

Edited by Daz69

Have you given Penang any thought ? I cant honestly recommend Jakarta to anyone who doesnt have to go there, regardless of the nightlife. There are some things that modern man shouldnt have to endure and Jakarta's traffic is definitely one of those things. This is the city that sent a delegation to Bangkok in the hope of finding solutions to the daily gridlock, prompting gales of laughter from some on this board - are you sure you want any part of that ?

188628_620.jpg

Ha ! Jakarta - best city I've ever lived in, maybe not for the faint of heart though. Going there at the end of this month and cannot wait.

I would echo Daz69's comments - you do need the ticket(s) out of Thailand to get a Tourist visa at the Thai embassy in Jakarta.

Edited by londoedan

<snip>

There are a lot more scams in jkt though so be careful and do your research before going or you'll be fleeced or worse. Not many speak English either and taxi drivers are mostly useless and don't know the way anywhere. As you've never been before and can't speak the language Stick with silverbird taxi's if you can and stay in a 5star

Should be pointed out that Silverbirds are the premium priced taxis under the Bue Bird Group of transport companies.

Flagfall is more than double as soon as you step in at 15,000 rp compared to 7,000 fpr Bluebird.

I have used both, but I find for most trips around Jakarta Blue Bird taxis are perfectly acceptable as they are clean, well run taxis and significantly cheaper than their premium Silverbird cousins.

As for the comment about staying in a 5 star hotel if it is your first trip and you cannot speak Bahasa - really?

Plenty of good accommodation options across Jakarta without shelling out for 5 star just because it is your first time.

@londoedan, I've spent the last two months debating whether I really want to put myself through the Jakarta experience again and I've decided I'd rather see Seoul and Tokyo. Possibly out of the frying pan in some respects - the Tokyo subway doesnt look like much fun - but I need to do it before the end of their Summer Also not a huge fan of the ease with which Jakarta floods and ensuing chaos.

Two years ago at the Thai embassy in Jakarta I had probably the easiest go at getting any kind of visa for Thailand after 18 years of such experiences.

For one thing, they actually answer their phones and actually gave me clear and detailed instructions about what they needed and what I would get. I was applying for my first 1 year multiple entry family visit visa and in fact had no idea that any such thing existed. They asked me what I wanted to do in Thailand and gave me the correct recommendation.

The embassy was deserted when I went to apply, so that is a big plus, very relaxing compared to the near to a riot mob situations you'll find yourself at some embassies.

The only downside was a week's wait, tho in my case I was working in Jakarta at the time and applied a month in advance. I don't agree with people saying Jakarta is a total loss. It is a difficult city to be sure. You cannot even walk around anywhere, no sidewalks or even space to walk on most streets and nothing but an intercity bus network, no trains really to get around on. You have to take a taxi everywhere, pretty much. And you can get stuck for hours, it is much worse than Bangkok traffic. Many of the smaller roads in Jakarta are in a bad state, pot holes and totally shattered and deteriorated pavement in many places. Much of the city is so filthy that you are at constant risk of getting cholera. The rivers are the only municipal sewer lines and they are so choked with shit and refuse that you will think you are looking at a garbage dump not a river. Avoid the rivers, you will smell them before you even see them, in fact I found my skin would begin to itch within 200 meters of any sewer/river. There is lots of smoke from burning trash as well.

However, it is a very interesting and crazy place. I found the people I met to be the most witty and engaging people in Asia. Not much of this one word answer, up to mister please be quiet I want to sit quietly about everything that you get in Thailand, Korea, Japan,etc. People seem to have a backbone, and actually enjoy chatting and joking in many cases, very refreshing. They are not beseiged by westerners and other foreigners and are curious and have confidence to speak to you in many cases. Indonesia and especially Jakarta is quite diverse, people from all over Indonesia there, so there is less xenophobia and nationalism and differences seem to be taken in stride, none of the terror struck deer in the headlights syndrome "Oh my god, its a farang!" half the time you try and talk to someone.

Take care as you would in any western city at night, take only Bluebird, Silverbird or Ekonomi taxis and you can avoid rip offs of various kinds. Food also can be good and interesting. I found Kemang to be a nice area of town to have dinner and do a bit of bar hopping.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

@londoedan, I've spent the last two months debating whether I really want to put myself through the Jakarta experience again and I've decided I'd rather see Seoul and Tokyo. Possibly out of the frying pan in some respects - the Tokyo subway doesnt look like much fun - but I need to do it before the end of their Summer Also not a huge fan of the ease with which Jakarta floods and ensuing chaos.

The Tokyo subways are easy fast and clean with many stops. Virtual every where now has English as well as Japanese names and directions. There are good free maps in the airports. If you want any more information just ask before the 26th as I'll be in Thailand then.

Seoul subways are as good and cheaper. There is a very good app for the iPhone for the Seoul system. For japan there is a good online website for travel planning.

But I don't think you will be able to get a visa in Tokyo if you are not a resident (I am). You should contact the embassy to check but they require

4.For non-Japanese applicant, a copy of resident card or certificate of alien registration.

And

7. For non-Japanese applicant, an original guarantee letter must be presented together with a copy of guarantors passport or driving license duly signed by the guarantor.

Also

8. An original copy of bank statement showing the balance at the amount equal to no less than 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family.

That is for a tourist visa.

You will also have to make an online booking though, luckly because of the coup, it is easy to get an appointment. FWIW last year it would have been a minimum of 3 weeks waiting.

From what I can see you should be able to get a visa in Seoul.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

The Tokyo subways are easy fast and clean with many stops. Virtual every where now has English as well as Japanese names and directions. There are good free maps in the airports. If you want any more information just ask before the 26th as I'll be in Thailand then.

Seoul subways are as good and cheaper. There is a very good app for the iPhone for the Seoul system. For japan there is a good online website for travel planning.

But I don't think you will be able to get a visa in Tokyo if you are not a resident (I am). You should contact the embassy to check but they require

4.For non-Japanese applicant, a copy of resident card or certificate of alien registration.

And

7. For non-Japanese applicant, an original guarantee letter must be presented together with a copy of guarantors passport or driving license duly signed by the guarantor.

Also

8. An original copy of bank statement showing the balance at the amount equal to no less than 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family.

That is for a tourist visa.

You will also have to make an online booking though, luckly because of the coup, it is easy to get an appointment. FWIW last year it would have been a minimum of 3 weeks waiting.

From what I can see you should be able to get a visa in Seoul.

Thanks for the info - I wont be chasing a visa. As long as I get a re-entry permit before I leave Thailand it should all be good.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/739743-visa-report-extension-and-non-o-jomtien-3-july-2014/

It all comes down to timing - I dont even want to see snow much less feel an icy wind. Hate the cold with a passion.

Maybe I will change my mind and go to Kuala Lumpur again but I have 1 single entry from there already and I heard they can be difficult about giving out a second one. Anyone have any experience with this also please ? Thank you.

I've never had a problem in Penang - either getting the visa or getting back into Thailand - but I think several people have mentioned that Thai Immigration is looking closely at anyone who uses Penang exclusively for tourist visas. No idea if KL is on their radar.

I went to Jakarta last month for a triple entry tourist after emailing the Thai Embassy there.They are one of the few outside UK that issue these visas.

What are the other ones you are aware of? So far i've read that recently they are available in:

1. Canada...Vancouver & Toronto

2. Vietnam...Hanoi

3. Indonesia...Bali & Jakarta

4. UK

Tickets are required. Not sure if any of the above would accept those for bus, train or boat rather than airlines.

BTW by UK do you mean "England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland" & include every embassy in those 4 countries as offering triple entry tourist visas?

http://wikitravel.org/en/United_Kingdom