Is it possible to cross over into Tachilek without it affecting a non-b single entry visa? I've heard you can just leave your passport with Thai immigration and it won't be stamped at all. I'm just planning to look around and maybe buy a bottle of whisky.

• 6 months later...

A VIP pass is a temporary entry to Burma that doesn't involve using you passport.

Present your passport to Thai immigration with 2 photocopies of the main page and 100B.

They keep your passport and you pick it up when you come back.

You can find information here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/147481-mae-saitachilek-border-info/page-31

Hi, I would like to know regarding the tachilek immigration, im Malaysian my wife is Burmese. in this Feb I will bring her to tachilek. I scare any troubler in tachilek immigration.

1) when she went back to tachilek from bolder of mae sai, did her need to pay tax in tachilek immigration? or any question problem in tachilek immigration?

2) she holding Thailand visa, she need to apply Thailand visa when she come back to Thailand?

i need your advice...thank you very much

1. If she has Myanmar passport she should not have to pay anything. Not sure why there would be taxes to pay.

2. If she has a visa that allows more than one entry she would not have a problem on entry. If not she would need a re-entry permit or she would loose her current entry when she leaves.

1. If she has Myanmar passport she should not have to pay anything. Not sure why there would be taxes to pay.

2. If she has a visa that allows more than one entry she would not have a problem on entry. If not she would need a re-entry permit or she would loose her current entry when she leaves.

HI ubonjoe,

thank for u replied..can she apply the VIP pass at mae sai Thailand immigration bolder?

http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Travel-g303913-c131885/Mae-Sai:Thailand:Tachilek.Border.Crossing.html

1. VIP Pass

This is the one to use if you do not want to affect your current passport/visa, e.g. you have permission to stay in Thailand for longer than 15 days and want to keep it that way.

Ask the Thai immigration officer at the border about a VIP pass. Passes cost 100 Thai Baht. You will be directed to a local shop and told to photocopy a particular page of your passport. When you return, the Thai immigration officer will give you a VIP pass and keep your passport.

When you arrive at the Myanmar border, you use your VIP pass instead of your passport, the rest of the process at Myanmar immigration is the same as 2 below.

When you return to Thailand you exchange your VIP pass for your passport. There are no changes made to your passport. Your passport does not show you ever left Thailand and if you had 80 days left to stay in Thailand, you will still have 80 days left.

The other way is to use your passport and is described below, and you will be given permission to stay in Thailand for only 15 days (including date of travel to Tachilek).

There have been reports that the VIP pass is no longer a available.

I think that even if it was still possible she would not be able to do it as a Myanmar citizen.

She can get a re-entry permit at immigration for a fee of 1000 baht. If she is on a long term extension she would have to do it at the immigration office where she got her extension.

Can I activate the third entry of my triple-entry tourist visa at Mae Sai currently?

Is it $10 or 500 ฿ on the Burmese side at the moment? My $10 success rate is running at around 60-70%, I reckon.

thumbsup.gif

No problem to use another entry from your visa.

Same price as before.

• Like 1

it has been 10$ OR 500 thb for ages and I have never been forced to pay 500 thb at any Burmese border (in more than 10 years) when showing up with clean 10$ bill (which you can get at any Thai bank).

fyi: current rate 1 THB = 31,3 ks. 1$ = 1029ks. so 10$ = 10290, 500 thb = 15650ks welcomeani.gif

• Like 1

it has been 10$ OR 500 thb for ages and I have never been forced to pay 500 thb at any Burmese border (in more than 10 years) when showing up with clean 10$ bill (which you can get at any Thai bank).

fyi: current rate 1 THB = 31,3 ks. 1$ = 1029ks. so 10$ = 10290, 500 thb = 15650ks welcomeani.gif

Yep. You just have to be nice but firm and then they'll take the US$ bill.

However, in recent times I've generally gone in with visa except one trip to Myawady on a day pass where I paid the US$10, which was preceded just 3 weeks earlier with a visa entry. I'm currently again in Myanmar having crossed the Myawady border with a visa but this time on a longer trip.

op just wants to go in for a couple of hours so does not have visa.

fyi: i'm just back from nearly a month in southern burma and did not even exchange any US dollars. only thai baht for which i got good exchange rate (31.30ks). in dawei i even paid my hotel with thai baht. for the boat from myeik to kawthoung i paid 40.000ks instead of 40$. remaining ks were exchanged again in kawthoung for 31.3 too. so i didn't lose a single baht on selling my ks.

I think that even if it was still possible she would not be able to do it as a Myanmar citizen.

She can get a re-entry permit at immigration for a fee of 1000 baht. If she is on a long term extension she would have to do it at the immigration office where she got her extension.I

In Malaysian Thai embassy , when I apply thai visa for her, I try to request 2 entry for her. If the visa allowed her for 2 entry, then no problem for her to re-entry back from tachilek to mae sai, if they give single entry only, then she need to apply re-entry permit at chiang mai airport when chiang mai airport...thank you

8-tm8-re-entry-permit-into-the-kingdom-application-form.doc

services-20120618-152501-201157.doc

Edited by calvinyong

She can get a re-entry permit at immigration for a fee of 1000 baht. If she is on a long term extension she would have to do it at the immigration office where she got her extension.I

In Malaysian Thai embassy , when I apply thai visa for her, I try to request 2 entry for her. If the visa allowed her for 2 entry, then no problem for her to re-entry back from tachilek to mae sai, if they give single entry only, then she need to apply re-entry permit at chiang mai airport when chiang mai airport...thank you

The only nearby locations that do a 2 entry tourist visa are Vientiane and Savannakhet Laos.

Re-entry permits are available at some airports or at any immigration offices if on a tourist visa if you have a local address to put on the TM8 form.

This is an add on new to this forum and the heading was Tachileik . My wife and I are from USA and spend approx 100 days in Thailand each year . We have achieved this leaglly with various methods through the years . This year we started with 60 days tourist visa and just yesterday got the 30 day extension . Will we be able to go to Tachilek and now get the neccessery 14 as we did last year ? Last year the immigration office was forthcoming suggesting that Mae Sai would be the easiest but upon asking this year I was answeared with "I really don't recomend that" and a bunch of nonsense of visiting embassy of "other country" We are very flexible but don't want to encounter a combined 10,000 baht overstay fee . Any insight or suggestions much appreaciated . Thanks

This is an add on new to this forum and the heading was Tachileik . My wife and I are from USA and spend approx 100 days in Thailand each year . We have achieved this leaglly with various methods through the years . This year we started with 60 days tourist visa and just yesterday got the 30 day extension . Will we be able to go to Tachilek and now get the neccessery 14 as we did last year ? Last year the immigration office was forthcoming suggesting that Mae Sai would be the easiest but upon asking this year I was answeared with "I really don't recomend that" and a bunch of nonsense of visiting embassy of "other country" We are very flexible but don't want to encounter a combined 10,000 baht overstay fee . Any insight or suggestions much appreaciated . Thanks

I think he was suggesting that you visit the Thai embassy (or consulate) in another country, to get a tourist visa, and he was right in saying that.

You should be able to get 30 days (not 14) visa exempt at any border pass, but if they will not allow that, then you can get 7 days extension at immigration, and/or go get a tourist visa in a nearby country to stay legally.

Next time apply for a double entry tourist visa in the US in order to stay 100 days in Thailand.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1