Thai EC may commission study into rewarding people who vote in elections

webfact

It is not interesting at all who votes after being paid for it.

It is the people who pay all the way up to.......

May be the EC does not want to know.

The can of .... might be TOO big to handle.

"The idea was brought up by Election Commissioner Thirawat Thirarotwit, who suggested that EC officials find out more about such measure implemented abroad."

Where is it done abroad?

in Australia you get fined if you don't vote ( if you are on the electoral roll ) and don't have a good excuse

And is Australia doing the right thing? I think not. It just forces ill-informed people to vote on something they no zilch about. Most of the people that vote because it is mandatory probably only read the sports pages and even that would be a stretch.

Don't knock the Aussies. Wars have been fought just to get the right to vote. It is a valuable and precious thing to have.

I was going to say this is unbelievable but it makes perfect sense and fits right into the establishment playbook.

After 12-18 months of populist policies the (mainly jaded, apathetic) people are induced to vote by being paid for it. I wonder which party they'll vote for - maybe it'll be the one most closely aligned to the 'happiness-giving' junta, the Dems maybe? - just a guess.

Subversion of the democratic principle that PTP would have been proud of. But then again, they didn't have the big weaponry and even bigger bosses on their side. Nuff said, unfortunately.

Maybe all those that don't vote would have to sit through the civic duty classes with thier kids at school. If they didn't vote again, then they would be invited for attitude adjustment. I think eventually you would get an informed public who would vote for the right people. This would surely bring even more happiness to those who already have so much of this country.

What about first go punish people who disallowed others to vote.

Suthep etc ring a bell?

I have no doubt that he will be severely punished by the junta for his role in threats, intimidation etc of those wanting to vote.

He will have to hold out his hand and have it sharply rapped with a ruler, that will teach him!

Forgot, he has already had a verbal warning, that should suffice!

• Like 1

No thats not going to work! I mean paying for a vote is crooked.

The people must be able to vote where they live.

Voting needs to be compulsory!

Yes it will take a long long time for that to be accepted but its better to start now under the military rule.

Start teaching the teachers first

Then start teaching the students.

In 20 years time there may not be anymore coups.

And that folks, is Thailand in a nutshell. Not educating the population as to how and why a democratic system works - voting for those whom you feel represent the best ideas as to how your country should be run, no! Give them a tip for turning up to mark a piece of paper they have no idea about and even less interest in unless there's a financial reward. Brilliant blink.png

When eventually proposed, along with only graduates can vote, 1 bkk vote = 2.5 country votes, dark skinned plebs don't qualify and candidates who swear allegiance to the Military have priority, we can all rejoice and congratulate the nutters on Thaivisa who think it's a good idea.

What about first go punish people who disallowed others to vote.

Suthep etc ring a bell?

I have no doubt that he will be severely punished by the junta for his role in threats, intimidation etc of those wanting to vote.

He will have to hold out his hand and have it sharply rapped with a ruler, that will teach him!

Forgot, he has already had a verbal warning, that should suffice!

And he had to postpone his promotional fund raising dinner........

Oh, the injustice.....

• Like 1

I was going to say this is unbelievable but it makes perfect sense and fits right into the establishment playbook.

After 12-18 months of populist policies the (mainly jaded, apathetic) people are induced to vote by being paid for it. I wonder which party they'll vote for - maybe it'll be the one most closely aligned to the 'happiness-giving' junta, the Dems maybe? - just a guess.

Subversion of the democratic principle that PTP would have been proud of. But then again, they didn't have the big weaponry and even bigger bosses on their side. Nuff said, unfortunately.

You may be right, however the norm will probably apply with people accepting the dosh and then voting for who they want anyway.

End result another government unacceptable to the powers that be.

Most likely out come I think will be a massive rearrangement ( gerrymandering ) of constituencies to ensure "the right folks win".