Bangkok taxi drivers seldom know the right way to go

kurnell

I take a taxi to and from work every day, so I am familiar with the traffic conditions and the quickest route. 10% of the drivers know the shortest route, but the rest just don't have a clue, even when I tell them, the logical shortest route which is relatively free of traffic. I also have access to google maps which shows traffic conditions ahead, so it is pretty fool proof.

As for other destinations, the drivers know motorway only and generally are very skilled at finding the thickest traffic in Bangkok. Since they are running their own business they would logically make more profit taking the shortest route rather than sitting for an hour in traffic.

"Oh ho tit!", one hour into the trip. These dudes even have access to traffic conditions through the radio. I guess it's much easier on the brain not to think too much

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Kurnell,

You've answered your own question! Bottomline is maximizing their profit and I don't blame them!

You've misread me. There is no profit sitting in traffic. That is why taxis don't take passengers going into heavy traffic

Logic? Common sense? Taxi drivers? How dare you suggest those 3 subjects in the same train of thought. I love my google maps navi. It has taken me through some deep dark sois to get out of traffic and it was amazing. Works every time.

Most drivers are from issan and would know the way around Buri Ram better than Bangkok

Indeed. Give those guys a break. It is a s*** job and don;t forget that Bangkok taxis are considerably cheaper than in pretty much any city in the world. Sure, taxis in say Berlin all have GPS's but the clock starts at 180 Baht and clicks over very, very quickly.

Kurnell,

You've answered your own question! Bottomline is maximizing their profit and I don't blame them!

You've misread me. There is no profit sitting in traffic. That is why taxis don't take passengers going into heavy traffic

Yes there is, do you really think that if your taxi is stationary for, say, 10 minutes, the meter fare dose not increase? If the taxi is travelling at less than 6kph the meter rate increases. That rate is laid out on the "fare for the distance travelled" laminate that some taxis have hanging from the back of the front seats.

Kurnell,

Yes there is, do you really think that if your taxi is stationary for, say, 10 minutes, the meter fare dose not increase? If the taxi is travelling at less than 6kph the meter rate increases. That rate is laid out on the "fare for the distance travelled" laminate that some taxis have hanging from the back of the front seats.

Sigh. You are telling me things that my 4 year old knows. YES I know that the meter rolls over. Did you not read the part where I said I take a taxi daily?? I can't give you some mathematical equations showing that numerous shorter, trips are more profitable that 1 long trip if you like???