Best USB 3G dongleer

cmjc

No mobile, or ADSL line, so which is the best dongle to use on my laptop in Lanna?

I don't see any True, BBB, AIS, or dtac carrier signal where I'm currently located North of CRai.

What carrier signals are you picking up right now where you are?

This must be a common question for visitors to the North, so let's pin down some data.

I use AIS 3G and set up my computer to use my iPhone as a wireless modem via the "personal hotspot" function. Using this I actually get better speed than the TOT Landline I have too.

If total download capacity is an issue this may not work for you though.

On our drive to town there used to be a few villages where we would lose the signal completely. I have noticed some new towers and now those same areas have AIS 3G with a strong signal. If none of the carriers have a signal in your area then you are out of luck until someone puts in a new tower.

As far as using you laptop away from home, I am with AjarnP in recommending AIS 3G, as they probably cover a broader area. In a specific area one carrier might be better than another but that would be on a case by case evaluation.

I recently switched to TOT Wi-Net after they set up a new tower 2km from my house with direct line of sight. I got the 13 meg package and get lighting download speeds now, compared to what I used to have on ADSL.

Edited by villagefarang

Thank you for those replies.
Keep in mind the thread is for the temporary visitor with no mobile or land line.

I do not see any of those carriers reaching me.

In fact the strongest signal is from an enterprising satellite dish salesman. He has his own red and white repeater pylon and sells WiFi access, but requires a box on a pole at your location to bounce the signal to.

A knowledgeable pal says it's highly unlikely this pylon is legal. So he could either jack up his monthly rates, or have his pylon demolished when he gets sussed by CAT/General d'jour. Either way a poor prospect.

I have the TOT wifi leaflet, but their website totwifi.com is dead, and no whiff of any carrier signal here. Looks like I'm stuck then.

Keep the reports coming to help others :)

T

No mobile, no SIM, just a venerable but sturdy Apple iBook.

"I don't see any True, BBB, AIS, or dtac carrier signal where I'm currently located North of CRai."

OK, I'm confused. how can you 'see' or look for a mobile carrier signal when you don't have a device for receiving a mobile carrier signal?

When you mentioned BBB (3BB) along with a couple of Mobile GSM/Data carriers I wondered it you were talking about WiFi Hotspots or Mobile Carrier 3G DATA Internet.

As mentioned already in the thread, the three big Mobile GSM Carriers are building out new 3G 2100 spectrum services throughout Thailand, and have many towers already deployed in Northern Thailand.

If you purchase a so-called "Carrier Unbranded" USB dongle then you can pop in any Thai GSM/3G DATA carrier SIM cards and try their service out.

As for WiFi Hotspots, your only hope there is to be near a Coffee Shop, 7/11, Shopping Complex, or Hospital as those are usually the only places those get deployed.

Mobile = mobile phone.

Laptop detects carrier signal.

"WiFi Hotspots or Mobile Carrier 3G DATA Internet": Either would be adequate for temporary visitors, if available.

No sign of any local 3G 2100 spectrum services, so it looks like slow coffees for visitors to Lanna.

I shall pop into my TOT office, and ask about their totwifi service.

Edited by cmjc

When I travel, purchasing a temporary sim card for my iPhone seems to work really well, providing both phone and data connectivity. My laptop only detects WiFi, and not cellular signals, so I am a little confused. If the choice is between purchasing a phone or a dongle, I would choose the phone as a more flexible tool.

• Like 1

cmjc,

Please confirm you understand,

WiFi and 3G are two different and separate technologies for delivering Internet to a device

WiFi is short-range -- best if under 35 m (115 ft) indoors and 100 m (330 ft) outdoors

3G is longer-range -- best if under 25 km (15.5 miles) outdoors

Your laptop is capable of detecting/using WiFi

Your laptop (as is) is not capable of directly detecting/using Mobile 3G DATA as it lacks this technology

Though, if you purchase a 3G DATA MiFi (3G Wireless Router), or a USB 3G DATA stick, or a 3G DATA tethering-capable Mobile Phone then you can connect one to your laptop to utilize Mobile 3G DATA Internet (after selecting/purchasing an Internet Subscription Package)

3G Wireless Router:

SS-HUAWEI-E5331-DATACARD3.JPG

USB 3G Data stick:

huawei-e1756c-wcdma-3g-usb-wireless-mode

Last month I ditched my AIS USB aircard for the latest AIS pocket wifi

http://www.ais.co.th/pocketwifi/

Works very well, and for all my devices that are not USB compatible (like Android Tablet and smart phone). Also can relay from a WiFi connection, although I see no point in that given your device would be able to connect direct to that WiFi station.

• Like 1

This is probably a dumb question. But, are AIS pocket speeds anywhere close to what's advertised?

Given a solid 3G connection the pocket wifi is very fast. To be honest I have not speed checked. i would not expect live video download speeds. Never tried. Good enough for average browsing.

Not in Chiang Rai but I purchased the AIS 3G 2100 branded 'latest' SIM/USB dongle and got what they advertised and more. However, the tower is pretty much line of sight, less than 700 m from the house.

If the OP has a mobile phone (of any ilk) there are apps that can detect and triangulate towers and display signal strength. I haven't heard of any laptop being able to do that unless it has SIM hardware installed. I had an Asus laptop 5 years ago that had a built in SIM slot for standalone connectivity.

Hi Darkside,

I can't really understand that AIS web page.

Can you confirm what I think... You put into this device your simcard, then it receives the 3G signal (you pay for it) and then it transmits a wifi signal, yes??

And is that strong enough to reach for example the room next door??

Thanks

Thank you for those reports.

I checked carefully today at Central; both AIS and TOT Staff shook their heads apologetically, neither their dongles or pocket WiFi would function in my location.

But they'd all work at CR Bus Station!

I didn't bother asking at the True desk; I'm sure I'd collect the same response.

Btw: I scouted the local red and white 3G pylon I mentioned previously: It's definitely non-kosher, planted stoically in a bucket of cement held up by guy-wires in his back garden. (He must have bunged the Poo-Yai)

But keep those reports coming: Kindly REMEMBER; this thread is aimed at visiting tourists without a mobile phone, just a laptop looking for a Lanna dongle.

[...]

I checked carefully today at Central; both AIS and TOT Staff shook their heads apologetically, neither their dongles or pocket WiFi would function in my location.

But they'd all work at CR Bus Station!

[...]

But keep those reports coming: Kindly REMEMBER; this thread is aimed at visiting tourists without a mobile phone, just a laptop looking for a Lanna dongle.

THREAD TOPIC: Best USB 3G dongleer

I apologize if I seem abrupt in this or my previous posts. I'm very confused on two of your points.

1. Are you asking for yourself, asking so you can help the next lost tourist, or just posing the question for something to do?

2. Are you asking about WiFi Hotspots, Mobile 3G Data, or both. As your quote, "But they'd all work at the CR Bus Station!" sounds specific to WiFi Hotspots and makes no sense when discussing 3G Data Dongles.

Could you please answer the questions I posed in post #11.

Also, if you could provide a more accurate location we could access Internet Provider Tower and Access Point maps in your specific area and give you a clear idea of where and what services are said to be available near you for BOTH 3G Data AND WiFi Hotspots.

Hi Darkside,

I can't really understand that AIS web page.

Can you confirm what I think... You put into this device your simcard, then it receives the 3G signal (you pay for it) and then it transmits a wifi signal, yes??

And is that strong enough to reach for example the room next door??

Thanks

Correct. When you buy it comes with a new simcard, or you could use your own simcard. You prepay some money in the card. I pay 200 baht/month for unlimited use, although there is a limit on the 3G connection, then it goes to Edge. You can pay more for unlimited 3G, but I only use as a back-up and when away from home base. Yes, it transmits a wifi signal, To be honest I don't know the range. So far I have only used in same room.

• 2 months later...