News organisations 'need a regulatory body'

Lite Beer

News organisations 'need a regulatory body'
Khanittha Thepphajorn
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- With the National Press Council of Thailand (NPCT) marking its 17th anniversary, chairman Chakkrish Permpool highlighted the need to bring the increasingly disparate media outlets in the country under the supervision of one regulatory body.

"Maybe we can do it in the form of a confederation." Chakkrish said yesterday.

He said many NPCT co-founders had already played a prominent role in several types of media outlets.

"It's time we established a regulatory organisation for all media, especially in terms of news. Some young members of news media clearly lack solid understanding of the principles governing mass media," he said.

To mark its anniversary yesterday, the NPCT held many activities, including a seminar on the new media landscape.

Media personalities from several organisations participated.

Korkhet Chantalertlak, chairman of the News Broadcasting Council of Thailand, said news reports relayed via online media often displayed the personal attitude or comments of the re-senders. The media's role as a gatekeeper has accordingly changed considering the participation of different members of society as well as the factor of technology.

Sometimes media outlets publicise specific reports as they want to boost their ratings, which will help them win new advertising, he said.

"People who consider themselves media professionals but who do not do their jobs responsibly are the ones causing problems," he said. "The idea that anybody can be a journalist just because he or she can share information faster is totally false."

Suphap Kleekachai, who chairs a national digital terrestrial television club, said media professionals had to change the way they work, as research showed that the number of newspaper readers will drop significantly as many dailies had invested in digital television and were using their publications to win viewers.

Chaipranin Visudhipol, former president of the Advertising Association of Thailand, said Thai media had to adapt to technology and realise that readers did not necessarily have to read news from a newspaper but could do so from their smartphones or tablet computers.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/News-organisations-need-a-regulatory-body-30237810.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-05

According to the Reporters Without Borders press freedom ranking, Thailand comes 130th out of 180 countries - a little worse than Afghanistan, a little better than Zimbabwe, so obviously what the country needs is more censorship of the press.

As there is zero tolerance at the moment hardly a surprising statistic.

Thai journalism is the bottom of the barrel. True bottom feeders. Now using filler, because they are muzzled.

Censorship isn't the only issue. I remember an occasion when a friend was reading my copy of Private Eye* and I asked whether there was any similar magazine in Thailand. He replied "No. If there were the editor would quickly be killed." He then paused and corrected himself. "Actually, they usually kill someone related, the wife or a child."

I was quite shocked being new to living in Thailand at the time. Particularly shocked by the word "usually".

* An English satirical magazine containing investigative reporting that the mainstream newspapers won't publish.

According to the Reporters Without Borders press freedom ranking, Thailand comes 130th out of 180 countries - a little worse than Afghanistan, a little better than Zimbabwe, so obviously what the country needs is more censorship of the press.

Well a little off base there as those figures were from several years ago.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Unlike some I check my facts before posting.

The figures are from 2014

http://rsf.org/index2014/en-index2014.php

If its " Off Base" as you state,can you update us please?

I guess I am naive but I would hope that regulatory body mean rules governing news publishing to look after people's and corporate rights etc and not to apply censorship as such. ;o)>

This is not about censorship. This is about controlling access to the Media Club.

What really scares them is 'new media' taking over the business.

So long as the long standing players control access to their privileges they don't give a flying fart about censorship.

If its " Off Base" as you state,can you update us please?

Well I can't really since I don't think the latest statistics, covering the current period, will be out for a while yet. The point is the figures relate to the period before the junta so really shouldn't be used. However I would go along with you if you were to say press freedom is temporarily restricted.

So what?

Many journalists are total scumbags anyway. They hold themselves in such high esteem too.

Newspapers, tv news - its all a business and all are slanted one way or another, so what you get is half news and half opinion. What each organisation doesnt report says as much of them as what they do.

The fifth estate? Maybe 50 years ago there was some integrity but not any more. Mostly sensationalist, divisive crapola.

Honestly, I sometimes think they believe their own BS about how important free press is any more.

Free to do what???? From what I see, free to print biased garbage.

I mean - just look at the name of this organisation "reporters without borders" lifted straight from "medicines sans frontiers" - really? They put themselves on that level?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by pedro01

I stand corrected. That accepted the process of sending out questionnaires, compiling the data and website would almost certainly cover Responses from a period before the coup and therefore part of my original, flawed reasoning still applies.

I stand corrected. That accepted the process of sending out questionnaires, compiling the data and website would almost certainly cover Responses from a period before the coup and therefore part of my original, flawed reasoning still applies.

Hell when you're wrong just hold your hand up and say so, don't bleat because you were correctly called out...

So what?

Many journalists are total scumbags anyway. They hold themselves in such high esteem too.

Newspapers, tv news - its all a business and all are slanted one way or another, so what you get is half news and half opinion. What each organisation doesnt report says as much of them as what they do.

The fifth estate? Maybe 50 years ago there was some integrity but not any more. Mostly sensationalist, divisive crapola.

Honestly, I sometimes think they believe their own BS about how important free press is any more.

Free to do what???? From what I see, free to print biased garbage.

I mean - just look at the name of this organisation "reporters without borders" lifted straight from "medicines sans frontiers" - really? They put themselves on that level?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

While not the greatest fan of gutter journalism, journalists with integrity and a sense of justice, free from political bias are an essential aspect of any free society.

Reporters Without Frontiers is made up of such people and is a wholly laudable organisation. They believe in the truth and the peoples right to hear it, as well as seeing the press' role as being to create/defend/protect an open and fair society.

Edited by Bluespunk