No US ban of Thai products despite labour-rights issue

Lite Beer

Petchanet Pratruangkrai
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Commerce Ministry insists that the United States has not banned Thai products after the Kingdom was downgraded in its "Trafficking in Persons" report last month.

To ensure smooth trade relations in the future, Thailand is scheduled to send a mission to Washington and some US states this month.

Boonyarit Kalayanamit, spokesman for the ministry, said the US had not banned any Thai products, but only suspended some cooperation and assistance in certain sectors, such as support for an educational and cultural exchange programme.

He said the US could not cite non-trade issues such as environmental or labour protection to sanction Thai products as that could breach the World Trade Organisation's rules.

However, to ensure smooth growth of trade growth with the US in the short and long runs, the ministry's overseas trade representatives have sent open letter to trade partners and trade associations in each market outlining Thailand's good labour practices and labour-protection measures.

The ministry has also collaborated with private agencies to open a Facebook page to deal with questions people might have about labour issues.

The government will also formally ask the US government not to ban any cooperation with Thailand.

Late this month, a team consisting of representatives from both the government and the private sector will be sent to the US to clarify the labour issue.

By the end of the month, the government will also invite major importers such as Costco, Wal-Mart and Tesco to visit Thai seafood plants and inspect supply chains from upstream to downstream.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/No-US-ban-of-Thai-products-despite-labour-rights-i-30237778.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-05

The fact is its somewhat irrelevant whether the US bans products or not it will be the actual consumer who will decide whether to purchase Thai products or not because of the labour rights issues

If consumers don't buy the product, retailers will not supply the product ergo its the same as "banning" the product

The fact is its somewhat irrelevant whether the US bans products or not it will be the actual consumer who will decide whether to purchase Thai products or not because of the labour rights issues

If consumers don't buy the product, retailers will not supply the product ergo its the same as "banning" the product

I have several customer and that are already the more educated one who mix up Thailand and Taiwan. So I doubt that many customer read the international news and select specific exotic countries to boycott......If I see vodka from Uzbekistan I wouldn't know if I support it because they have a wonderful government or if I should boycott it because their vodka industry uses slave labor.

I don't think Walmart customers would care...or even know what or where Thailand was!

• Like 1

Im not quite sure Thailand will see any effect of the downgrade. Consumers will still buy cheap products. I'm from EU and some years ago we had I big problem with jeans and of course nike! Using child labour , dangers chemicals. There was a lot about it in the media, but no effect and 1 month later nobody was talking about it. People was still buying. I think the same will happen to thailand.

No effect

From the OP:

The Commerce Ministry insists that the United States has not banned Thai products after the Kingdom was downgraded in its "Trafficking in Persons" report last month.

This is correct as Tier 3 sanctions will be not announced until fiscal year beginning 01/10/2014. I believe US State Dept Tier 3 sanction options, do not include trade bans.

• Like 1

I don't think Walmart customers would care...or even know what or where Thailand was!

May be not walmart but 100,000 people are having a say to the big stores, social media can make them sit up and listen http://www.walkfree.org/thai-slavery/

And here

http://www.antislavery.org/english/campaigns/campaign_stop_slavery_in_thai_fishing_industry/take_action_to_end_slavery_in_thai_fishing_industry.aspx

Edited by kmj

Petchanet Pratruangkrai

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Commerce Ministry insists that the United States has not banned Thai products after the Kingdom was downgraded in its "Trafficking in Persons" report last month.

To ensure smooth trade relations in the future, Thailand is scheduled to send a mission to Washington and some US states this month.

Boonyarit Kalayanamit, spokesman for the ministry, said the US had not banned any Thai products, but only suspended some cooperation and assistance in certain sectors, such as support for an educational and cultural exchange programme.

He said the US could not cite non-trade issues such as environmental or labour protection to sanction Thai products as that could breach the World Trade Organisation's rules.

However, to ensure smooth growth of trade growth with the US in the short and long runs, the ministry's overseas trade representatives have sent open letter to trade partners and trade associations in each market outlining Thailand's good labour practices and labour-protection measures.

The ministry has also collaborated with private agencies to open a Facebook page to deal with questions people might have about labour issues.

The government will also formally ask the US government not to ban any cooperation with Thailand.

Late this month, a team consisting of representatives from both the government and the private sector will be sent to the US to clarify the labour issue.

By the end of the month, the government will also invite major importers such as Costco, Wal-Mart and Tesco to visit Thai seafood plants and inspect supply chains from upstream to downstream.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/No-US-ban-of-Thai-products-despite-labour-rights-i-30237778.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-07-05

DANCING DRIVER

May be not walmart but 100,000 people are having a say to the big stores, social media can make them sit up and listen http://www.walkfree.org/thai-slavery/

And here

http://www.antislavery.org/english/campaigns/campaign_stop_slavery_in_thai_fishing_industry/take_action_to_end_slavery_in_thai_fishing_industry.aspx

No measurable amount of people in the US will be not buy Thai products because of the downgrade. Most people in the US are clueless about what goes on outside the US except for what the see or hear on CNN, FOX and MSNBC and if any of them reported on this (which I highly doubt) it would have been a blip in coverage and forgotten quickly.

What most people in the US probably think about Thailand is that it is a third world country where tourists go to have sex with young girls -- this report hasn't changed that.

If folks like Thai rice they are going to continue to consume it in the US and if another Thai product is available they like or at a cheaper price than one from another country they will buy that and never even look to see where it was made.

So, unless the US actually bans imports - it will have absolutely no measurable effect. Not to mention the US is not keen on bad mouthing Thailand in the US, this downgrade was more for show for folks outside the US.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn
  • Like 1

And here

No measurable amount of people in the US will be not buy Thai products because of the downgrade. Most people in the US are clueless about what goes on outside the US except for what the see or hear on CNN, FOX and MSNBC and if any of them reported on this (which I highly doubt) it would have been a blip in coverage and forgotten quickly.

What most people in the US probably think about Thailand is that it is a third world country where tourists go to have sex with young girls -- this report hasn't changed that.

If folks like Thai rice they are going to continue to consume it in the US and if another Thai product is available they like or at a cheaper price than one from another country they will buy that and never even look to see where it was made.

So, unless the US actually bans imports - it will have absolutely no measurable effect. Not to mention the US is not keen on bad mouthing Thailand in the US, this downgrade was more for show for folks outside the US.

PS- As for Walmart shoppers ... many many more serious violation of human rights as well as labor violations (including in the US) have been widely publicized for many years about Walmart. Anybody who was going to stop shopping there would have long ago.

"The Commerce Ministry insists that the United States has not banned Thai products after the Kingdom was downgraded in its "Trafficking in Persons" report last month."

The U.S. has not banned products from China due to its government's policies and working conditions. Has not banned products made in Bangladesh due to slave-like/deadly working conditions, or from any other nation where working conditions tend to be abhorrent. The bottom line is that most Americans want cheap products and do not care from where or how they were manufactured.

The Commerce Ministry should not feel relieved that Thailand is was spared having its products banned. It is not in the best of company. This should not be an issue of economic gains, but an issue of conscience and morality.

Totally agree. The same rational applies to the EU as well as the US.

• Like 1

But that won't happen... Americans want cheap/quality products. Thailand is the #1 sort for that sort of product.

I do wish an import tax could be added to push Thailand to make changes faster. Honestly, it would only help Thailand in the long run.

Truly, Americans don't care. Americans want cheap products and they will buy whatever is on the shelves. If we buy Chinese products, we will certainly buy Thai products. I am happy to see that the USA is taking a stand both against the whole Junta Government and human trafficking. Not sure what the USA can do to continue to motivate Thailand to change / improve human trafficking, but whatever they can do, continue!

According to what was in the media a month or so ago, technically, the guy is right, the products haven't been banned. But a key word is missing in the statement and that is that they have not been banned yet. As I recall, the US said any ban would be announced in October.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

And here

Agreed. The real fear of Thailand should be regard the power of social media. If some American do-good organization sinks their teeth into this slavery issue, they could put a hurt on Thailand from

the consumer side. No need for a government based punishment....

• Like 1

And here

Agreed. The real fear of Thailand should be regard the power of social media. If some American do-good organization sinks their teeth into this slavery issue, they could put a hurt on Thailand from

True, if someone wanted to push this issue in the USA on the TV and social media, many large box retailers would have a hard time justifying buying from Thai products.

Americans will not knowingly support this sort of thing IF the become educated to the facts.

True, if someone wanted to push this issue in the USA on the TV and social media, many large box retailers would have a hard time justifying buying from Thai products.

Americans will not knowingly support this sort of thing IF the become educated to the facts.

Yes trouble like that is the last thing big box retailers want. Instead of spend millions of

baht on a silly junket to America, Thailand should hire a bunch of Thai people that can actually

write grammatically correct English. Put them in a room with high speed computers, and have

them scour the social media sites for any hints of trouble, and then head it off with defensive statements.....

According to what was in the media a month or so ago, technically, the guy is right, the products haven't been banned. But a key word is missing in the statement and that is that they have not been banned yet. As I recall, the US said any ban would be announced in October.

Sigh. After post after post about those stupid and clueless and witless and uninformed and ignorant Americans.

Mr Postman: US law on human trafficking *forbids* trade sanctions of any kind over human trafficking. There *will be* no ban on Thai products because of what happened "a month or so ago". After Oct 1, the US *might* but probably won't oppose any Thai request for a loan at the IMF/World Bank, which Thailand probably won't make anyhow.

But the point for this thread: There will be no US ban on the import of Thai products because of the human trafficking report, including before, during or after October.

Well... except that up until today they always have, including "this sort of thing" right on American soil and wide coverage about it in the US media - the L.A. slave factory, the Hawaii slave farms, the Washington state apple-picking slavery and the like. And that's only the Thai cases, and doesn't cover the huge amount of Latin American-centered slavery on farms, for example. American people are very, very, VERY aware of this and they haven't stopped eating California vegetables, say - or Mexican vegetables either.

I'm not a fortune teller but I would expect the same thing that has happened hundreds of times — that consumers do NOT boycott over slavery and the like — will continue to happen again. Why do you think it might change?

Edited by wandasloan
  • Like 1

The fact that the West have not imposed sanctions is no surprise to most of us foreigners but of course does not gel with the 'Hate all Farang' message that is being bleated by childish petty minded Thais outraged that others should expose some deficiency.

Instead of bleating and complaining like kindergarten children, perhaps they should concentrate on fixing issues that any sane person understands are wrong. Human trafficking, slavery, corruption and a lack of a functioning efficient and fair justice system.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

This requires a certain level of introspection. And the use of face here often times prevents introspection, or the ability to look within for the source of the problem. In this case, it is the need to look within Thai society, to see why human trafficking, corruption, and slave labor are allowed. Is that taking place? Will it take place? Probably not unless the guilty industries or individuals are "outed". And with the silly, churlish, childish, and immature defamation laws on place, when or how is that going to happen?

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1