The best Gay vacation locations?

I am not sure what to say about your friend's situation. He lives in one of the most open, gay places in the world, so taking him to Montreal or New York would be a nice vacation, but I think the only thing that changes is the geography. He is still a shy, overweight introvert.

Actually, he might benefit from a holiday with a different culture where his weight and excess cash can buy him more than just a T-shirt. At least he can experiment around a little and get some physical human contact. A few nights with the local lads at the go-go bar sitting on his lap might just divert his mind from his depression. A few beers on soi 4 and an evening on Soi 2 might make him forget about a number of things.

He won't be getting strange or ignored like he will in NYC or Montreal. He will get a few smiles (we don't have tell them they aren't all sincere). And if he isn't into Asians, so be it. I think he will be by the time he leaves. But I doubt that he will be into white folks from a trip to NYC or Montreal, since my guess is he won't get a 2nd look.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Montreal is not the friendliest place for non Québécois, I'm bilingual/Canadian and am still treated as an outsider, it's the fashion hub in Canada and being overweight wont help his ego.

No clue about the gay ghetto, that sort of thing may not appeal to him, it certainly isn't why I visit any city but if Montreal is still on his list there are lots of great eateries and pubs & since he's not worried about his waistline he has to try poutine (sounds horrible but it's great)

Edited by ToddWeston
  • Like 1

The Blue Moon in Las Vegas has various theme weekends including bears events.

Since he has little travel experience, Thailand could be an eye opener for him. I'm a bear, and usually get approached in the Babylon Bathhouse by very good looking Thai guys that feel quite lucky to have found a hairy chubby bear, especially if he is a bottom. The guys there are mostly middle class and looking for fun. If you chose later to go out with them, many will expect you to pick up dinner and drinks. If you get real lucky, they will buy dinner for you. Some place like Pattaya or Phuket is too money boy oriented for the first timer to handle. However I can't imagine someone with no travel experience getting on a plane to Asia and making his way to a gay bathhouse. If he checks the chat room on Silver Daddies he can probably strike up a friendship with a Thai that likes older men, and be his guide.

I'd suggest flying Deluxe Economy class (Elite) on EVA to Bangkok. More expensive, but much more comfortable.

This is an outlier suggestion ... but I have some bear qualities myself and my general feeling is that Thai gay guys are mostly NOT into that type. HOWEVER, a place where I have been amazed by the (non-commercial) response to my look has been MALAYSIA. Visiting there makes me feel like a movie star! Again I wouldn't suggest such a long trip for a man his age who has NEVER left the USA. I would try international travel out first with a shorter trip.

Edited by Jingthing

Back to the topic, I have had WONDERFUL times in Montreal, multiple trips during different times (and body sizes) of my life and I have NEVER experienced the tiniest bit of hostility from French Canadians for being an Anglophone. Au contraire, actually. I have also been to Toronto and Vancouver which are also great destinations. I have traveled there solo and also with friends, ALWAYS a great time to be had there.

So I do think Montreal would be the top choice for a first time to Canada gay traveler. Also they should stay in the Gay Village specifically in a gay B and B (many many choices of style and price ranges for those) where they are likely to meet friendly fellow travelers. It's lots of fun, near the Metro, in walking distance of lovely older parts of the city, really a top location for any traveler. Architecturally, Montreal is much more touristic than Toronto and Vancouver. I would say EATING is a huge feature of the city, and not only French. Don't forget the Jewish delis! Quebec City is a touristic treasure but not as much a gay destination as Montreal is.

It has been awhile. I'm assuming they still have those "show" dancing bars, right? Big fun but of course tame compared to Thailand.

Of course, there are many exceptions. Like if a traveler is into live English language theater, Toronto would be the choice. More Asian flavored culture, Vancouver. Wonderful scenery? Vancouver Island. Etc.

Edited by Jingthing

This is an outlier suggestion ... but I have some bear qualities myself and my general feeling is that Thai gay guys are mostly NOT into that type. HOWEVER, a place where I have been amazed by the (non-commercial) response to my look has been MALAYSIA. Visiting there makes me feel like a movie star! Again I wouldn't suggest such a long trip for a man his age who has NEVER left the USA. I would try international travel out first with a shorter trip.

I don't have "bear qualities" but I was overweight at the end of my tenure in Taiwan. I blame it on the food; I weighed 81 kg as opposed to my current 68 kg. I liked the Chinese food, and I had no "problem" with my weight.

In Taiwan, I was also approached by cute-looking guys that I had no chance of getting when I was "not much to put the hands on". There is a scene for everything; in Japan I was at a gay club that had posters of naked Sumo fighters all over.

As long as you like yourself, and radiate it, your weight does not matter.

• Like 1

Does your gay "friend"...take selfies in the mirror...and they look a lot like you?

No

In college I was curious, thats actually when I met my friend. Nothing ever happened... I dont hide behind anything for anyone, I am not conventional...

Also they should stay in the Gay Village specifically in a gay B and B

Bed and breakfast?

Edited by ToYoungToRetire

I don't have "bear qualities" but I was overweight at the end of my tenure in Taiwan. I blame it on the food; I weighed 81 kg as opposed to my current 68 kg. I liked the Chinese food, and I had no "problem" with my weight.

In Taiwan, I was also approached by cute-looking guys that I had no chance of getting when I was "not much to put the hands on". There is a scene for everything; in Japan I was at a gay club that had posters of naked Sumo fighters all over.

That rings true regardless of sexual orientation. Confidence is sexy, I'm such an arrogant bastard I have scored many times outside of my "league".

My friend however is not, he's not exactly shy but he's not the outgoing or confident type.

Edited by ToYoungToRetire

Does your gay "friend"...take selfies in the mirror...and they look a lot like you?

Nah I believe he's a bona fide straight dude.

I think so too. I am only worried about his friend Harvey.

Funny enough I had a closet gay friend in the Military named Harvey, if I was ever going to be gay it would have been for him... LOL

• Like 1

I need to know more about this. Anyone else have the same experience in Taiwan... I would certainly go with him if he was going there, it would be fun for both us I think.

Why a muscular strong gay man is not attracted to a soft effiminate (lady)boys, not the ugly aggressive ones?

Why would a gay man be attracted to someone who looks and behaves like a girl?

Gay men are attracted to men. That's a fact. Straight men are attracted to effeminate lady-boys, as they like the femininity. Gay guys are not attracted by femininity.

And no, most gay guys are not aggressive or ugly.

• Like 1

Nah I believe he's a bona fide straight dude.

I think so too. I am only worried about his friend Harvey.

Funny enough I had a closet gay friend in the Military named Harvey, if I was ever going to be gay it would have been for him... LOL

Why didn't you give it a try?

Why a muscular strong gay man is not attracted to a soft effiminate (lady)boys, not the ugly aggressive ones?

Gay men are attracted to men. That's a fact. Straight men are attracted to effeminate lady-boys, as they like the femininity. Gay guys are not attracted by femininity.

You do realise you're beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu ?

It seems some straight dudes can't get the basic concept of MALE beauty. I'm not straight at all, but if a pretty lady was sitting in front of me (wouldn't go out of my way, mind you) I would see her beauty. You don't have to sexualize to see that, gay or straight.

• Like 2

You do realise you're beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu ?

It has to be clarified again and again.

Sent from my A 8+ using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Hotel President Solitaire on Soi 11 Sukumvitt in Bangkok - has its own website, although isn't advertised as such, is Gay friendly - even has a man on man massage parlor - and a bar called the Banana Club - I have many Gay friends that book into that hotel to meet other Gay men - It's a bit pricey, but can book on-line direct as they have many specials thrughout the year....This is not a ashy trashy Hotel, very mainstream, who knows, he might meet the man of his dreams. Plus Soi 11 is a pretty good place to hang out.

• 2 weeks later...