Threatened with murder, Italian stab victim now under Phuket police protection

Lite Beer

Threatened with murder, Italian stab victim now under Phuket police protection

Alasdair Forbes

1404619862_1-org.jpg

Antonio Papaleo (right). Photo Tony Boyd/lavoce.sk

PHUKET: The Italian man who was stabbed by a member of a gang of young thugs during a robbery in Karon is now under police protection in a hospital ward because of concerns he may be the target of an assassination attempt.

The Italian, 44-year-old Antonio Papaleo, was stabbed twice during the attack, early on Thursday morning (July 3), by a gang composed mostly of teenagers, at least one of them a girl. The two wounds wrecked his spleen, which was removed in an operation on Friday.

Most of the gang were caught and the ringleader, Ekawat “Ek” Nilaku, 20, confessed to carrying out the attack, and another one on a Russian woman tourist about half an hour later in Kata. She, too, was stabbed, though little damage was done.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-stab-and-rob-man-needed-money-for-younger-sisters-education-47207.php

Mr Papaleo is an investigative journalist who runs the Italian-language news website La Voce della Slovacchia (The Voice of Slovakia). He is also a key witness in the Hong Kong trial of Slovak national Juraj Jariabka, charged with running a money laundering ring that stretched from Eastern Europe to Dubai and Hong Kong.

In 2012 Mr Papaleo infiltrated the ring by pretending to be a corrupt journalist, “Tony Corleone”, addicted to alcohol and drugs. The gang used him to open companies and bank accounts for use in money laundering. Using a pinhole camera he captured video evidence essential to the prosecution.

Since his true role came to light, he has been subject to threats, not just from the gang – who would be happy to see him dead – but even from a Beijing-based Slovak diplomat.

The organisation Reporters Without Borders (RSF) issued an appeal on June 23 for authorities in Slovakia, Italy and elsewhere to give Mr Papaleo protection.

It explained, “After travelling to Hong Kong to open two bank accounts for this purpose, [Mr Papaleo] tried to report what he had learned to the Czech and Slovak authorities, and to Interpol, on his return but they showed little interest.

“So Papaleo went back to Hong Kong and reported his findings to the Special Bureau for Narcotic and Financial Crimes, which took him seriously and began an investigation.

“After the Hong Kong police arrested the head of the ring in May 2013, Papaleo received several death threats. Since then, the Hong Kong police have been asking the European authorities in vain to provide him with protection.”

So when he was stabbed on Thursday in Phuket, his first thought – and the first thought of people who knew about him – was that the gang had tracked him and this was an assassination attempt.

After the attack, and after being alerted to his background, The Phuket News and other English-language news operations in Phuket decided not to disclose his name out of concern for his safety.

Then, in the press conference staged by police a day later to announce the capture of his attacker, Mr Papaleo’s name was announced. The police had no way at that time of knowing his circumstances.

Mr Papaleo decided that, rather than hide, his best chances of avoiding a murder attempt as he lay helpless in a bed in a public hospital ward would be to get as much press coverage as possible.

He told The Phuket News yesterday, “I’m not very well, basically. The operation was fine from what they tell me but they had to remove my spleen because it was totally ruined.

“I’ve been under morphine for four days so I’m not very bright and sharp.”

Asked about his decision to go public, he explained, “The point is very simple. Either I’m the most unlucky person in the universe to be robbed and assaulted in Thailand – which is possible – or this is somehow connected with my guys – my bad guys – searching for me.

“In either case I don’t think that revealing my name and location will put me in more danger than I am in now.

“I just finished talking with Benjamin [ismail, the head of the RSF Asia-Pacific desk] and he was for keeping my name hidden.

“But I don’t think this will make any difference, frankly.”

When told that his name had already been revealed in the press conference he said, “That’s another reason not to be concerned about keeping my name hidden.” All things considered, he added, he felt that full exposure would keep him safer.

When The Phuket News spoke with him, he was in a public ward. The newspaper contacted the island’s chief of police, Pol Maj Gen Krajang Suwannarat, to acquaint him with the circumstances.

Mr Papaleo, The Phuket News has been told by the hospital, is now in a private room with police protection.

He is likely to spend at least another week in hospital, and another two weeks convalescing until he is in shape to travel comfortably.

The Hong Kong Newspaper, the South China Morning Post, has run a number of stories about the trial and the threats against Mr Papaleo. With his support the newspaper this morning published a story about the Karon stabbing, naming him.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/threatened-with-murder-italian-stab-victim-now-under-phuket-police-protection-47215.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-06

someone will be on a flight to Phuket as we read...Patong police and protection.....is that the monthly fee kind the bars pay

What does Patong police have to do with this?

• Like 1

So he knows he is on a deathlist, but still goes out walking alone at 03.00 hours? Not very smart.

On the positive side, I very much doubt this youth gang has been hired by the Hing Kong mafia.

Agreed, putting these two things together is a HUGE reach.......

Phuket like the rest of Thailand is the midst of a boon for rising gambling debt, during the Football World Cup season, even though those affected will be reluctant to acknowledge it in fear of reprisals also.

With that said, plenty of gangs down on their luck so far will be quiet pleased to take up any bounty contract’s right now, so you can imagine this won’t be the last incident.

Edited by MK1

Is that a positive or a negative for the victim that he's under police protection ?

The answer to that lies with you, in your lying in his bed for a moment. Then which would you prefer?

• Like 1

I think I have seen this guy on a couple of occasions in Singapore. His behavior is quite bizarre in that he appears to be totally spaced out when I have seen him in ex pat bars, but when I have spoken with him I have found him to be anything but that - just like with the flick of a light switch from druggie to investigator !

• Like 1

I think I have seen this guy on a couple of occasions in Singapore. His behavior is quite bizarre in that he appears to be totally spaced out when I have seen him in ex pat bars, but when I have spoken with him I have found him to be anything but that - just like with the flick of a light switch from druggie to investigator !

bit like most expats when they are inebriated

• Like 2

bit like most expats when they are inebriated

Yeah - but the strange bit is his ability to just switch back to Mr Sober from someone who seems to be away with angels - judging by his antics !

Corleone is a rat ?

In fact no, and let me say you have one the the best mafiosa names I have heard for a long time.

The Corleone family name as such doesn't exist and never did. Vito Andolini, the youngest son of an Italian family living in the town of Corleone in Silicily was the youngest and only surviving son of his family when the local mafia Don had his father killed and also his elder brother, fearing a revenge attack when the then teenage boy was older. The Don, who's name escape me, also tried to have the young Vito killed also, but him mum had him smuggled out of the country to the US in the '30's. However Vito couldn't speak any English and only had a paper tag around his neck that said his name and home town. As the immigration officials couldn't speak Italian they listed him as Vito Corleone and he became eventually Don Corleone of the Corleone crime family, otherwise known as The Godfather.

I don't remember a Tony (Anthony probably) Corleone, just Michael, Santiago (aka Sonny) and Fredo (later killed on Michael's orders)

Regard

SDM

PS Like it quickly because although answering a question it's off topic and will be deleted !!!!

Edited by SDM0712
  • Like 2

Dude looks like Christopher from the Sopranos

I think the dude looks more like a poor man`s Mr Bean and like Mr Bean he is living in a dream like fantasy world.

If the said gang had any connections with those apparently after him for his apparent master spy secret under cover activities, than why did they also stab the Russian tourist?

Sorry but I do not believe one word of this guy`s story. A fantasist if ever I heard one.

post-110219-0-46279700-1404645113_thumb.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

as italian,i find it difficult to believe. a newspaper for italian people resident in Slovakia(how many readers 200 maybe?) with an investigative journalist,who infiltrates a ring with popular name Tony Corleone from the Godfather?

smells like pathological lying

I guess he just came up with a story to get upgraded to single VIP room, if half of his story was true he would be somewhere in the Andaman sea bottom with a pair of cement shoes already.

Corleone is a rat ?

In fact no, and let me say you have one the the best mafiosa names I have heard for a long time.

The Corleone family name as such doesn't exist and never did. Vito Andolini, the youngest son of an Italian family living in the town of Corleone in Silicily was the youngest and only surviving son of his family when the local mafia Don had his father killed and also his elder brother, fearing a revenge attack when the then teenage boy was older. The Don, who's name escape me, also tried to have the young Vito killed also, but him mum had him smuggled out of the country to the US in the '30's. However Vito couldn't speak any English and only had a paper tag around his neck that said his name and home town. As the immigration officials couldn't speak Italian they listed him as Vito Corleone and he became eventually Don Corleone of the Corleone crime family, otherwise known as The Godfather.

I don't remember a Tony (Anthony probably) Corleone, just Michael, Santiago (aka Sonny) and Fredo (later killed on Michael's orders)

Regard

SDM

PS Like it quickly because although answering a question it's off topic and will be deleted !!!!

Tony aka Anthony Vito Corleone was the son of Michael and Sonny's given name was Santino not Santiago

Tony aka Anthony Vito Corleone was the son of Michael and Sonny's given name was Santino not Santiago

Yep, quite right on both. Tony was Michael and Kay's boy, became a musician or something. I clearly need to bush up my Godfather.

S

Edited by SDM0712

someone will be on a flight to Phuket as we read...Patong police and protection.....is that the monthly fee kind the bars pay

What we have seen from the NCPO thus far, and especially their efforts in cleaning up the Phuket cesspit that was replete with corrupt coppers, gives me some confidence that the new regime will do their duty.

Had the shinawatras still been in power I wouldn't have given you tuppence for his mortal coil