Thai junta chief faces some big decisions

webfact

If the reforms are successful and yields results, he will have the thai peoples backing, even if he is in a double role. Thailand needs to copy Singapore's model of success, which was pragmatism through HONEST authoritarian rule. It is no better way.

Why can't Thailand issue an international arrest warrant for Thaksin through Interpol? That's what other countries are doing when reign in their fugitives. We can understand why the last government didn't do it, but I can't understand why Abishit didn't.

An international arrest warrant does not mean that the arrest and the extradition will automatically be executed all over the world. Instead the arrested person will go through the legal system of the country he was arrested in. In the case of Dubai I assume the verdict would be "not guilty under Dubai law" (if it came to an arrest in the first place). The sytem makes sense. Before the iron curtain fell East Germany issued international arrest warrants for "Republikflucht" (fleeing from East- to West-Germany). What a sad joke.

Furthermore, I doubt that anybody wants Thaksin in a court room anyway. At least not now when things are running smoothly and everybody is a good boy and loves General P. soooo much XOXO. Giving the north and the norteast a martyre is probably the last the military wants to do. Well, that is how I would explain it. Pure speculation of course (not the first part, though).

I love the naive assumption by certain individuals here that only the politicians are corrupt. Get rid of them and "problem solved".

Is there really no corruption in the army system?. So how do you get to join the military top brass?

Don't tell me, "Brilliance at military strategy and bravery on the battle field". Just like Eisenhower, Patton, Zhukov, Montgomery, Rommel etc.

Yeh, right!

• Like 1

I hope when/if Prayuth stands aside or down as army chief, he refrains from cronyism and his successor is someone there on performance rather than him just passing it to a close 'aide' or one of his buddies in the same regiment which is whats been happening the last few times.

Practice what you preach boys.

I hope so too. We had enough cronyism in the Thaksin years to last a lifetime.

If the reforms are successful and yields results, he will have the thai peoples backing, even if he is in a double role. Thailand needs to copy Singapore's model of success, which was pragmatism through HONEST authoritarian rule. It is no better way.

Why can't Thailand issue an international arrest warrant for Thaksin through Interpol? That's what other countries are doing when reign in their fugitives. We can understand why the last government didn't do it, but I can't understand why Abishit didn't.

An international arrest warrant does not mean that the arrest and the extradition will automatically be executed all over the world. Instead the arrested person will go through the legal system of the country he was arrested in. In the case of Dubai I assume the verdict would be "not guilty under Dubai law" (if it came to an arrest in the first place). The sytem makes sense. Before the iron curtain fell East Germany issued international arrest warrants for "Republikflucht" (fleeing from East- to West-Germany). What a sad joke.

Furthermore, I doubt that anybody wants Thaksin in a court room anyway. At least not now when things are running smoothly and everybody is a good boy and loves General P. soooo much XOXO. Giving the north and the norteast a martyre is probably the last the military wants to do. Well, that is how I would explain it. Pure speculation of course (not the first part, though).

If Thaksin is in Dubai the courts will do whatever the ruler of Dubai tells them to do. The only moderating factor on him is the Abu Dhabi royal family who prop Dubai up.

Most countries have a process for deciding if an extradition request will be complied with, taking HR issues etc into account. They can't re-try someone and declare them not guilty. However, they can claim all sorts of reasons to deny the request or seek assurances of the individuals treatment on return first.

If Thaksin is in Dubai the courts will do whatever the ruler of Dubai tells them to do. The only moderating factor on him is the Abu Dhabi royal family who prop Dubai up.

Most countries have a process for deciding if an extradition request will be complied with, taking HR issues etc into account. They can't re-try someone and declare them not guilty. However, they can claim all sorts of reasons to deny the request or seek assurances of the individuals treatment on return first.

Emphasis on "under Dubai law". It would not be a re-trial. It would be a trial in regard of the arrest warrant and the extradition.

Of course, it depends on the legal system of the respective country. I do not know how it works in Dubai (I agree, probably an order by the ruler of that country, whoever that is). It was just an example how it could work. In some countries they face a complete trial (would the arrested be sentenced in our country, if he had done the alleged crime here?) and the outcome would determine the extradition, also taking into account human rights. Other countries might just put him on a bus and load him off behind the border. What I am saying is that there is no automatism and that Dubai will hardly follow up on an international arrest warrant for Thaksin.

Just found out that there is no treaty on mutual extradition (if that is the correct term) between Thailand and Dubai, anyway. But Thaksin might travel and then the aforementioned points could apply.