No smoking in public places campaign: Bangkok

webfact

and yet drunk drivers still prevail and directly kill people with their selfishness. And they risk a 500Bt fine.

About time the priorities were adjusted. Attack the drunks first for needless slaughter and let the smokers wait until this is cleared up.

Secondary smoking may be dangerous. Being run over by a drunk driver is way more dangerous,

• Like 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some people have too much time.....Worry if the neighbor smokes and maybe get cancer 30 years later crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

It's the olde puritan genes...they can't stand the fact that someone may be happy smoking.

The problem is it takes 30 years. If the smokers would drop dead a lot sooner I would not care if they smoke. Why should a smokers happiness cause me to be unhappy and unhealthy? It's alright it's a miserable way to die it takes a long time. It would be a lot cheaper and more humane to die by a bullet.

I think smokers are some of the most selfish inconsiderate people on the planet. They walk around blowing poison chemicals all over the place trying to make everyone sick. They then cost everyone money with all of their health problems later in life. Why should the healthy tax payers subsidize the health care of some idiot that got sick from smoking? I think anyone that smokes should have to pay for their own health care. Why should I have to pay for cancer treatment, oxygen tanks when I chose to care about myself by not smoking. Smokers also age at an fast pace they start looking really sickly at the age of 40 their skin wrinkles, they have bad breath and their teeth are stained yellow. I often see them struggling to breath from years of personal neglect. What a pitiful miserable existence a smoking addict has by consuming poison on a daily basis with no concern for his/ her health or the health of others. It's just as bad as an heroin junkie putting needles in their arms. Only this addiction kills at a much slower pace, so everyone has to suffer for a longer duration.

• Like 1

I think smokers are some of the most selfish inconsiderate people on the planet. They walk around blowing poison chemicals all over the place trying to make everyone sick. They then cost everyone money with all of their health problems later in life. Why should the healthy tax payers subsidize the health care of some idiot that got sick from smoking? I think anyone that smokes should have to pay for their own health care. Why should I have to pay for cancer treatment, oxygen tanks when I chose to care about myself by not smoking. Smokers also age at an fast pace they start looking really sickly at the age of 40 their skin wrinkles, they have bad breath and their teeth are stained yellow. I often see them struggling to breath from years of personal neglect. What a pitiful miserable existence a smoking addict has by consuming poison on a daily basis with no concern for his/ her health or the health of others. It's just as bad as an heroin junkie putting needles in their arms. Only this addiction kills at a much slower pace, so everyone has to suffer for a longer duration.

I pay for my own healthcare. I'm sick and tired of non-smokers who work in high-polluting industries, drive cars that spit toxins over everyone, whining about a habit which does them zero harm in an open outdoor space. That's zero harm. Heat rises, smoke is hot, it goes up - not into your lungs. Primary school physics for the win.

• Like 1

Nothing said about the bus drivers who smoke whilst driving. I see them everyday and have never heard any passenger complaints.

nothing said about the buses smoking either,i'd rather have second hand smoke from a ciggy than a face full of black belching diesel exhaust

"The campaign was organised after it was found that there are about 80 per cent of smokers in the total population in Thailand"

If the above statement is true, their anti-smoking campaigns don't seem to working that well. Why don't they canvas the government (?) and make it illegal outright, as it should be, if all the facts about it being the cause of all the diseases it is claimed to be responsible for are true?

Or would the tax generated with the sales be stronger than the welfare and health of the population?

Anyway, we know this isn't going to happen.

At least the anti smoking people are sticking with the right ratios for a democratic country, the minority making decisions for the majority.

Canvas what government? There isn't one in Thailand, just the dictatorship. But even if there was a government what use would it do canvassing them if 80% of them smoke (according to the survey)?

"...many smokers ignore the prohibitions against smoking in public places."

Gee....Could that have anything to do with the fact that the ban on smoking is not enforced? I see policemen, monks and military personnel, together, smoking at bus stations right under the "No Smoking/2,000 baht fine" sign. The town near which I live has signs and banners stating "No smoking and No drinking of alcohol on the streets". Yet at least one quarter of the people, all farangs, are smoking and drinking. Just about every restaurant has people smoking in them, or if they don't smoke inside, where the sign is, they are smoking by the entrance, where everyone entering has to suck up the poison air, and the smoke drifts inside the restaurant.

Fortunately, in the small village where I live, the monks from the local wat started a no smoking campaign, putting up signs entering the village and flags in front of every house, stating no smoking on the streets. This has worked beautifully. Since this campaign started, I have not observed one person smoking on the streets or in any of the small restaurants. I feel fortunate to live in a village where the monks at the wat still practice traditional Buddhism and not the "reformed Thai style" of Buddhism. It is amazing what can be accomplished when those who are supposed to be the examples of morality take their responsibility seriously.Unfortunately, this seems to be the exception and not the rule in a world, both east and west, where profits are put above all else.

I don't think monks going around telling people not to smoke in the village as being a 'traditional Buddhist practices' as a matter of fact I would say that trying to police what people do legally (and smoking on the street is legal) is anything to do with Buudha's teachings.

This thread is just another major whinging spot for those who choose not to smoke.

I believe that the Buddha preached not to hurt others, and second hand smoke kills others. War is legal, does that make it a Buddhist practice? Think before you speak, unless that is your level of thinking.

Most of the monks in my village smoke and drink, makes them popular,one of the crowd

• Like 1

beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAubeatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAuWhat is with the levels of hate on here? Why as non smokers would you wish another human being dead? Dont get it at all! I am someone who smoked became an ex-smoker for years, fell off the wagon and smokes again. I think it stinks, damages my health, but like all addicts I still do it again! I dont like inflicting my habit on others. I will not smoke indoors anywhere. I make a concious effort to blow my smoke upwards when outside, and hold the things away from people as I pass. I don't think I am bad, evil or a 'selfish bastard who should die'. I do think that people who would wish someone else death over a cigarette needs some professional help, I am sure the mental health section of TV could benefit you greatly. Rotting away in the Prem for murdering a smoker might be much worse than lung cancer whistling.gif

On a serious note, and back to the post- if they seriously wanted to reduce smoking then why ban e-cigs and vaping. I know 40 year smokers who have stopped over night. These produce no 'bad chemicals' and obviously work. Seems to me as previous posters have already said, the tax and income generated is much too large, making smokers a powerful lobby group in this country!!

• Like 2

Why do smokers always cart out the same three arguments?

1. Name-calling/typecasting of those who dare oppose their dirty habit: e.g. Anti-smokers are akin to Nazis - telling us what we can and can't do, e.t.c.

2. Use projection - cars are just as bad, going on the tube is like smoking 10 cigarettes a day, e.t.c.

3. Tell us that old chestnut about their great gran who smoked and lived till 91, bless her.

Let's break it down to make it simple for those smokers who can't get their head around the issue:

1. Smoking is harmful - your smoke harms not just you, but those around you. Everyone should have the right to not have to breathe in the smoke of smoker. There is NO debate here - smoking in public places - that means anywhere that someone else may have to suffer your smoke - is unacceptable. To suggest you have a god given right to do what you want while harming others is slightly more 'Nazi-esque', than someone trying to rightfully fight against which is unequivocally wrong.

2. That other things harm us is not the debate here. Are those other things essential in the world we live in? In most cases yes. Is smoking essential? Obviously not.

3. 91? Great - I'm happy for you. She would've lived a bit longer if she didn't smoke though.

Smokers don't have a leg to stand on (sadly some literally don't due to the gangrene) when it comes to their rights to smoke in any public place (i.e. anywhere outside their smelly, brown-stained hovel). Thankfully they are a dying breed.

Smokers pay for their own healthcare (a lot over it actually) with the duties, rights, taxes aso levied on tobacco sales, get your facts straight! Do you realise that a box of 20 cigarettes costs in itself costs about 5Baht, the most costly item in it being the see-through wrap, the profits and income taxes from the producing(!) company included? I remember buying the big red-and-white brand in cartons of 10,000 American(!) cigarettes, from wholesalers for my DF shop, for less than 250USD., that's for 500 boxes of 20. The prices are higher today, but not that much, try to figure out who's cashing in the rest of the money...? According to your 'logic' all heavy smokers should get a VIP treatment at hospitals, and you stay together with 19 other poor beggars.

• Like 1

1. Name-calling/typecasting of those who dare oppose their dirty habit: e.g. Anti-smokers are akin to Nazis - telling us what we can and can't do, e.t.c.

2. Use projection - cars are just as bad, going on the tube is like smoking 10 cigarettes a day, e.t.c.

3. Tell us that old chestnut about their great gran who smoked and lived till 91, bless her.

Let's break it down to make it simple for those smokers who can't get their head around the issue:

1. Smoking is harmful - your smoke harms not just you, but those around you. Everyone should have the right to not have to breathe in the smoke of smoker. There is NO debate here - smoking in public places - that means anywhere that someone else may have to suffer your smoke - is unacceptable. To suggest you have a god given right to do what you want while harming others is slightly more 'Nazi-esque', than someone trying to rightfully fight against which is unequivocally wrong.

2. That other things harm us is not the debate here. Are those other things essential in the world we live in? In most cases yes. Is smoking essential? Obviously not.

3. 91? Great - I'm happy for you. She would've lived a bit longer if she didn't smoke though.

Smokers don't have a leg to stand on (sadly some literally don't due to the gangrene) when it comes to their rights to smoke in any public place (i.e. anywhere outside their smelly, brown-stained hovel). Thankfully they are a dying breed.

ERM.... read my post- didnt do 1, 2 or 3 and pretty much agreed with your numbers 1 and 2 in the second batch. Can you explain why your happy about some 'HUMAN BEINGS' dying?you don't know me, or half the others you are wishing death upon.

The only issue I cannot get my head around is your almost sociopathic need for someone you don't know to die?

Why do non-smokers always trot out the same tired arguments?

1. There is no evidence (in the world) that suggests if I smoke outside it harms you in anyway.

2. It's mightily convenient for you to ignore the facts that much of everything else is more harmful than smoking. It makes you feel better about putting pressure on smokers rather than lobbying government for mandatory public transport and the end of wombats driving their children to school in 4 x 4's every morning. Trust me on this global warming is way more significant to most people's lives than other people's smoking.

3. How do you know? Many smokers don't get sick from smoking. In fact 3 out of 4 smokers die of non-smoking related illnesses (you see, smokers are people and people just plain aren't built to be immortal; whatever twisted fantasy the non-smoker carries in his/her head).

Note to non smokers. Your energy and attitude would do far more good if your directed your angst against the particulate pollution caused by the internal combustion engine ,trucks ,lorry's and buses in particular.

Note to non smokers. Your energy and attitude would do far more good if your directed your angst against the particulate pollution caused by the internal combustion engine ,trucks ,lorry's and buses in particular.

For the non smokers it has nothing to do with clean air. Only bashing a group of smokers.

If its about clean air they have to sell their car, motorbike and any other air polluting machinery and they dont want to give up on that.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Some people have too much time.....Worry if the neighbor smokes and maybe get cancer 30 years later crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

Don't really give a rap about a smoker getting cancer in 30 yrs... just worry whether or not I will get cancer from someone else's smoke!

Ever smell the breath of a smoker, especially one with bad teeth? Smells worse than the dirtiest Isaan squatter toilet! Disgusting!!

Don't really give a rap about a smoker getting cancer in 30 yrs... just worry whether or not I will get cancer from someone else's smoke!

Ever smell the breath of a smoker, especially one with bad teeth? Smells worse than the dirtiest Isaan squatter toilet! Disgusting!!

You'll probably get cancer from red meat, alcohol, traffic fumes, too much fat in your diet, pollutants in your drinking water, or whatever else.

And frankly I wouldn't give a toss about you either.

• Like 1

Nothing said about the bus drivers who smoke whilst driving. I see them everyday and have never heard any passenger complaints.

My gf complained on a bus in Bang-Na. She got really dirty looks from conductor, driver (smoking) and passangers.

I find it difficult to complain as I was a smoker.

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

Surely, the biggest smokers in Thailand are the farmers who burn the fields and cause immense problems.

As a matter of priority, this should be way ahead of pandering to the non-indiginous anti-smokers.

Like most smokers who managed to give up, am pretty anti-smoking in confined public places like restaurants, buses, trains and cinemas, etc. But let's have a sense of proportion when it comes to smoking out of doors in places like public parks. I know how addictive nicotine is and we need to consider those hooked on the habit, as well as non-smokers, and make sensible concessions in their direction. Being heavily fined for a quick drag in Lumpini is way over the top. Do we really want Thailand to end up like squeaky clean, repressive and incredibly boring Singapore?

• Like 1

Wow the nanny nation is coming to Thailand. Its what is destroying USA. There are public parks in the states you cant smoke s cig in. <deleted>?????

I have never seen a death certificate thats says cause of death was second hand cig smoke. If these people want to do something good for the people of Thailand then they can start with regulating the thick black nasty exhaust that comes out of the public buses and leave us cig smokers alone.post-94380-14047433248944_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

• Like 2

It's fair enough, but I remember going out with staff on a night out and them going outside to have a smoke, police stopped them and asked for a fine because there was a small hanging roof over their heads.

These kind of "crack-downs" just gives more power to the wrong people to extort money from who they see fit.