Blood tests in Chiang Mai - Is there a hospital with a reputation for being cheaper?

telstrareg

A farang friend needs regular blood tests done to monitor the levels of certain hormones over a period of about 3 months. Has anyone found any of the hospitals/labs to be cheaper than the rest? I wouldn't expect there to be much variation but given that he is on a budget and will need to monitor around 3 hormones every 2 weeks it's worth seeing if some money can be saved.

Send me a private message if you prefer.

Edited by telstrareg

A CBC used to be 140 THB at both Mccormick and Klaimor......lipid panel was 600 at Mccormick three years ago. I heard 800 recently at RAM. Now I live near Sripat, and was considering checking them out, but the more and more I read, the more I am inclined to go back to Mccormick. I've seen the term "zoo" to describe Sripat too many times. Let us know what you find out....prices on specialized blood exams can vary widely. We were discussing this the other night, and I said I had paid "140," the other gentleman from the States said "Dollars?".........

I always have all my tests done at a lab very cheaply. There are plenthy of good labs in all major cities. Then I go to see the doctor at hospital.

They don't like it very much but I am always framk. I tell them I am too old to get insurance and I can't afford to pay the high prices that the lab charges.

A CBC used to be 140 THB at both Mccormick and Klaimor......lipid panel was 600 at Mccormick three years ago. I heard 800 recently at RAM. Now I live near Sripat, and was considering checking them out, but the more and more I read, the more I am inclined to go back to Mccormick. I've seen the term "zoo" to describe Sripat too many times. Let us know what you find out....prices on specialized blood exams can vary widely. We were discussing this the other night, and I said I had paid "140," the other gentleman from the States said "Dollars?".........

why not have them done cheaply at a government hospital. Siripat and Mccormic are private hospitals! Or at a lab

I am using Lanna Lab.
I don't know if other labs are cheaper but I pay more at a hospital.

Just some examples:

100 THB: CBC

150 THB: CBC+GLU

890 THB: CBC+GLU+A1C+BUN+CRE+CHO+TRIG+HDL+LDL+GOT+GPL

If you agree they will send the result by email, so no second visit and faster than the post.

Normally somebody is available with at least basic English.

The location:

in a soi south of Mahidol Rd (=1141 from SuperHighway to Airport), about 300m west of Ping River.

For those who can use Google Maps:
https://maps.google.de/maps?ll=18.763392,98.99282&spn=0.006573,0.010568&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=18.763392,98.99282&panoid=9Wn326x6to1MpDnuN-xEAw&cbp=12,236,,0,1.1

Telephone 053-275131

I am using Lanna Lab.

Just some examples:

If you agree they will send the result by email, so no second visit and faster than the post.

The location:

in a soi south of Mahidol Rd (=1141 from SuperHighway to Airport), about 300m west of Ping River.

https://maps.google.de/maps?ll=18.763392,98.99282&spn=0.006573,0.010568&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=18.763392,98.99282&panoid=9Wn326x6to1MpDnuN-xEAw&cbp=12,236,,0,1.1

Telephone 053-275131

Good lab, good prices

Lipid panel was 600 at Mccormick (late 2010)....you are quoting 890, and someone recently told me it was 800 at RAM.....unless I am missing something, but I don't see anything on the list that wasn't on my report. 100 for CBC is a good deal.

I always have all my tests done at a lab very cheaply. There are plenthy of good labs in all major cities. Then I go to see the doctor at hospital.

They don't like it very much but I am always framk. I tell them I am too old to get insurance and I can't afford to pay the high prices that the lab charges.

Which particular labs do you use in Chiang Mai and are you satisfied with them?

Names and locations would be helpful please.

I went to Sriphat today. I was told cbc=160, urine analysis=100, lipid panel=650. As others have stated; it's a zoo in there. Very busy, lots of people at the outpatient clinic. I think you could get good care there, but it is a lot bigger operation than Mccormick, and no piano in the Lobby. Elevators hold 21 max.....very few farang in there.

Hard working people, that's for sure. Outpatient clinic is on the thirteenth floor.

Edited by Thighlander

Any chance of a response?

it would be very helpful to lots of people. smile.png

Any chance of a response?

it would be very helpful to lots of people. smile.png

I wonder why the reluctance to share with others, where all these good, cheap labs are?

• Like 1

I am using Lanna Lab.

Just some examples:

The location:

Telephone 053-275131

Good lab, good prices

I use Lanna but my Doctor seemed to think that some of the tests they carried out weren't comprehensive enough ( she did go into detail but sort of went over my head) she did recommend another clinic of which I can't find any paper work for but I will carry on looking !!!

You can just go directly to the lab and order what you want. Cut the middleman fees. Here's one: Chiangmai R.I.A. Lab 053-233026

I stopped going to RIA Lab a few months ago.

They are friendly enough but I was never very impressed with their hygiene standards from the start. Last time I went there, the bathroom (where you prepare your urine sample) was filthy, equally so the rag of a 'towel' which hadn't obviously been changed for days. Ugh!

The floor was awash, it stank, and I'll never set foot in there again.

I went back to Ram for my last lot - walked into the lab, gave my hospital number with the list of tests I wanted, had a friendly nurse draw the blood sample, and was told to come back in 2 hours.

I did, and everything was ready. Maybe you pay more, but in my opinion it's worth it for the speed, the reassurance and the professionalism.

Lo Kroh clinic. Very good. Lanna OK but little more expensive

Lo Kroh clinic. Very good. Lanna OK but little more expensive

They're not labs!

One's a doctors office and the other in a hospital.

Where's the cheap lab that you mention?

Address is 20 Rageng St (ถ. ระแกง), a small street just south of the southeast corner of the moat. Their phone is 053-449-142, and they speak some English, so I would try to get near there, and call for help if you can't find them. Closed Sundays, mornings are a good time because they are slow until the blood samples roll in from their hospital customers.

• Like 1

Thanks for this info!

It looks favourable - the current price for a PSA test at CNX Ram is Baht 734 - so with the price listed here of Baht 500 (assuming it is up to date?) the saving would be Bht 234 at CMF Lab.

This is around 35% cheaper. If that applies acrooss the board, it is very worthwhile.

Just a pity that they only have a Facebook page and not a proper web site, which would make them look more professional.

How about the cleanliness aspect?

It is a very clean place, friendly people. By the way, PSA was only 300 bht 6 months ago. They recently bumped up prices. If you spend around 500 bht, try to negotiate a discount. They recently quickly offered one on a set of tests I got that were 500 baht. Knocked it down to 400. Worth a try.