Singapore Airlines plane has near hit over Houston Airport

webfact

Singapore Airlines plane had near miss over Houston Airport

Singapore-Airlines-3-wpcf_728x413.jpg

SINGAPORE: -- A Singapore Airlines plane had a near miss with another aircraft while leaving Houston on Thursday night, according to reports reaching The Straits Times.

According to NBC News, a Singapore Airlines flight took off shortly before 7 pm on Thursday from Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental and the pilot did not level off when he reached 4,000 feet as required.

This resulted in the outbound plane being less than 2,000 feet (610 metres) away from a Delta Air Lines flight which was preparing to head into Houston for landing. The incident happened about 10 miles (16 km) north-east of the airport, the reports said.

“The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is investigating a loss of required separation that occurred Thursday evening between two jetliners while in airspace controlled by the Houston Terminal Radar Approach Control,” the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) said in a statement.

“An air traffic controller noticed the deviation and issued traffic alerts and instructions to the pilots of both aircraft.”

The FAA said it did not yet know exactly how close the two planes came.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/singapore-airlines-plane-near-miss-houston-airport/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-07

Hi,

Lots of potential threats flying around the world. Communication being high on the list.

Non native English speakers being given a last minute change to an expected clearance can cause issues. Rapid fire communication from the controllers in the USA is a challenge, even to an experienced crew.

Hand flying the departure in busy airspace can put a huge workload onto the other pilot. Call sign confusion, weather, unfamiliarity etc all add in to the potential for making mistakes.

• Like 1

Near miss (safety)

A near miss is an unplanned event that did not result in injury, illness, or damage – but had the potential to do so. Only a fortunate break in the chain of events prevented an injury, fatality or damage; in other words, a miss that was nonetheless very near. Although the label of 'human error' is commonly applied to an initiating event, a faulty process or system invariably permits or compounds the harm, and should be the focus of improvement. Other familiar terms for these events are "close call", or in the case of moving objects, "near collision", near hit or Gift.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_miss_(safety)

• Like 1

Near miss (safety)

A near miss is an unplanned event that did not result in injury, illness, or damage – but had the potential to do so. Only a fortunate break in the chain of events prevented an injury, fatality or damage; in other words, a miss that was nonetheless very near. Although the label of 'human error' is commonly applied to an initiating event, a faulty process or system invariably permits or compounds the harm, and should be the focus of improvement. Other familiar terms for these events are "close call", or in the case of moving objects, "near collision", near hit or Gift.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_miss_(safety)

latest example?

I've been on a flight that had to execute a go around for the same reason.

I was on a flight from Taiwan landing in Bangkok and we were just about to land and then the pilot started heading up again. While it allowed me to get a great view of the new Suvarnabhumi airport I was understandably a bit concerned. The guy in the seat next to me was just as confused as I was, while also enjoying the view.

After a minute or so the pilot told us all over the intercom that he had to execute a go around as there was another plane getting off the runway too slow and air traffic control urgently told him not to land.

Fun times.

I bet this happens more often than we'd think.

My plane probably wasn't as close to an impact as these two were, but I have no idea how close we were to the other plane, at all.