Chonburi: Schoolgirl escapes 'gang assault' in classroom

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is no one pointing at the Sattahip district office signboard?

What a pathetic & inappropriate remark........

Two out of three ain't bad. I meant it to be arrogant as well.

Edited by Payboy

Biggest load of BS about rape is this idea of a universal motivation. Rape is not always the same and not always about power.

It depends on the culture, it depends on the age of the aggressor(s).

I have never understood the motivations for those who are passionately against the notion that rape is about power.

Biggest load of BS about rape is this idea of a universal motivation. Rape is not always the same and not always about power.

It depends on the culture, it depends on the age of the aggressor(s).

I have never understood the motivations for those who are passionately against the notion that rape is about power.

Well as I predicted, there are those who simply do not want to hear what the whole of legal and academic and psychological study on the subject is telling us.

I suspect the objection comes from the same sources telling us a few unpleasant facts about other forms of sexual interactions.

I'm only surprised how quick the denial came.

And it is not just here in Thailand this happens so let's be fair with the comments. I hope the full force of law is used against these boys who attacked this girl at her school

Correct, but let's also accept that this crime is endemic in Thailand and often goes unpunished because of very specific issues in Thai society.

I have personally assisted a Thai colleague press charges against a male Thai colleague who subjected her to a serious sexual assault and have witnessed first hand precisely how a victim of sexual assault in Thailand is attacKed by the very people who should be offering help and support.

Correct, and we and they (Thai members) should be discussing these "specific issues in Thai society" out in the open, without fear of them losing face. Otherwise, NOTHING EVER GETS CORRECTED OR IMPROVED. I witnessed that attitude over 5 years in China also.

So what are these "specific issues"? Anyone brave enough to start?

The mistake many are making here is to direct their anger/frustration against the individual perpetrators in this particular case.

DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND THIS POINT (though I am sure some will).

The boys in this particular case do need to be investigated and absolutely should face punishment if the report is proven correct. Children of that age behaving in such cowardly and clearly planned/conspired vicious behaviour need dealing with.

Will they be dealt with - Well as we all know the horse trading is going on as we rant.

The punishment they receive or do not receive will depend entirely on a bunch of power plays relating to who their families are and who the family of the victim are - it is an extremely brave family that tackles the excesses of power in that game.

However, this only deals with this particular case - The question needs to be asked why is sexual violence so very prevalent in Thailand and how have these boys been influenced by this facet of Thai society.

Let us first put one myth to bed.

A common argument made in favour of legalised prostitution is that it reduces the incident of rapes - Very clearly in Thailand the wide spread availability of prostitutes has done nothing to abate the incidence of rapes.

Ask around the Thai women you know, rape and sexual assault is a far too common experience for Thai women.

The underlying cause of rape in Thailand is exactly the same underlying cause of rape across the planet - not sex - power.

Addressing the power imbalance between women and men in society, particularly power over young women in Thai society requires a challenge to the very reasons why many foreigners came to live in Thailand in the first place.

So Elzach, you are entirely right - Who dares go there.

I guarantee, the issues raised in addressing rape in Thailand do not make comfortable reading for a lot of expats - many simply do not want to hear it.

I understand what you're trying to say. However, with all due respect, I think you're not going "far enough".

Yes, "power over young women" would not be a favorite topic among expats/tourists to discuss. But I think matters in Thailand (and most of SE Asia and China, for that matter) are a little more sinister than that.

Sexual violence in Thailand very frequently starts, and is done, by family members. Also, turning a blind eye to prostitution, or even encouraging part-time prostitution, again by family members. We all know the attitude here, "if we don't talk about it, it's not happening, it's ok". Are young girls in Thailand, INHERENTLY, second-class citizens, with NO rights, to be used as sex-objects at will? To me that is the question that many Thais need to answer.

And btw, I doubt any foreigner in Thailand, with a Western upbringing, considers anyone second-class citizen. "Supply and demand" yes. Maybe you can see my point.

Edited by elzach
  • Like 2

And it is not just here in Thailand this happens so let's be fair with the comments. I hope the full force of law is used against these boys who attacked this girl at her school

Girls are gang-raped in the class room when attending their education. And you worry that the comments about the young men/boys raping her will get to harsch comments !!!!!!

Edited by larsjohnsson
  • Like 2

A good old pillory should be used for rapist and pedophiles .

Give these scumbags to the people for a day before putting them in jail .

The victems are scarred for life .

IMHO rape is one of the worst crimes mankind can do .

Yep, because medieval punishments were so effective in deterring crime, right? Ah, the good (really) old days...

I have never heard of any criminal that has been executed ever being a bother to society again. Not all criminals can reformed. To incarcerate some one for life is equally heinous. Perhaps some of the new way and some of the old way might strike a proper balance

I was talking about deterrence, meaning the effectiveness with which a punishment discourages others from committing a crime. Violent crime in Europe has gone down by several orders of magnitude since the medieval period (which saw much more severe--and public--punishments)...

Girls are gang-raped in the class room when attending their education. And you worry that the comments about the young men/boys raping her will get to harsch comments !!!!!!

I believe the concern was regards comments about Thai society in general (i.e., not tarring all Thais with the same brush), not comments about these thugs.

A good old pillory should be used for rapist and pedophiles .

Give these scumbags to the people for a day before putting them in jail .

The victems are scarred for life .

IMHO rape is one of the worst crimes mankind can do .

Yep, because medieval punishments were so effective in deterring crime, right? Ah, the good (really) old days...

I have never heard of any criminal that has been executed ever being a bother to society again. Not all criminals can reformed. To incarcerate some one for life is equally heinous. Perhaps some of the new way and some of the old way might strike a proper balance

Before we start hanging people read a few Thai Visa discussions on the police and the reliability of justice in Thailand - Oh they'll hang someone for sure - but who will they hang and will the person they hang be the person that committed a crime?..... And let's not even start on rich brats killing by means of running people over at bus stops or dragging police officers down the road under their car.