Teaching English informally (unpaid)

I'm not sure about this but I know that there are very many knowledgeable people on this forum, and I do hope that I'm posting in the right place - if not, mea culpa.

What is the situation in Thailand regarding informal unpaid voluntary English language teaching?

I'm living in a condo in Bangkok with my (Thai) wife. I spend one month here and then one month back in London as I have things there that also keep me busy. Anyway, I was approached last night by a Thai lady who lives here at the condo to ask if I'd be willing to help her sister's kids with English lessons. I'd be interested in doing this as it would fit between Thai language lessons that I'm taking.

However, my understanding is that to teach in Thailand even as a volunteer requires a work permit, so I would not be allowed to provide even informal English sessions?

My background? I took early retirement as headteacher of a school in south London a couple of years ago, I hold UK qualified teacher status (QTS), and I'm also TEFL qualified at postgrad level, so do I need authorisation such as a work permit to work with these kids, even on an unpaid basis? I hasten to add that I still have appropriate UK Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) clearance and I'd most certainly not allow anyone near any kids anywhere without taking appropriate safeguarding measures. Would I need a Thai teacher's licence or the equivalent of UK QTS - I also hold a UK MA degree in Education?

In short, would it be permissible in the eyes of the Thai authorities for me to be able to undertake such regular informal and unpaid teaching work here in Bangkok?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Also you are aware that with your credentials you could probably get a job here in an international school earning well in excess of 100k per month.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 1

If you feel bad about accepting money and the parents feel bad about your teaching their kids for free, then you can always barter trade, like maybe a lesson for a home-cooked meal or the fruit in season. From my own personal experience, Thais do not really feel comfortable with freebies.

Hello TomThailand, I asked this question to the Siam lawyer a couple of months back and he said that yes, I would need a work permit. He also said that if I did this informally and did not create a classroom, did not do this on a regular basis, did not upset any Thais in the area, did not advertise the fact, that I could get away with it without having a work permit. He told me to say, if anyone asked, that I was only helping the children with their homework. Discretion seems to be the name of the game.

If you are going to do this on a regular basis and are going to create a class, then I would get a work permit before you start in order to protect yourself.

In general, Thailand has a lot of laws which are very vague, I assume that this is deliberate, so that they can then choose when to enforce them, and when not to.

As a result, it's the policy from the associated government department which really dictates whether something is illegal or not. At present, to the best of my knowledge, the department of labour doesn't have any policies to actively check work permits from any teachers, in any capacity (Whether it be at schools or in private tutoring).

I also teach the kids in my soi. While it is illegal there is not going to be any blow back unless as stated you upset the wrong person or get too big.

One thing i would suggest though is to charge for your service and not do it for free.

I charge a small amount for each one hour lesson not because i need the money but because it then makes it more important.

let's face it we know that if something is free it is not worth doing or worry about. If mother and father have to dish out money they will make damn sure kids pay attention and take it seriously.

With the money you can buy treats for the kids or something so do not worry and the chances are that mom and dad can afford 50 baht an hour or so.

i think rather than charge them money you may be safer if you make them buy books to read or use, that way someone could not say you are working for money. Small point but may make a difference in the unlikely event of a problem

• Like 1

This is an interesting question because here in Thailand you never really know what they want or what they are going to do or what bit of paper they suddenly decide to ask for. On any given day depending on the person and the place the rules seem to change just like that.

However, the rule is, any type of work paid or not paid you need a work permit.

In your case you are not working for a school, non profit or running your own business so I am not sure what sort of documentation they would require from you. For sure your teachers qualifications would be good enough but would they still require a waiver from the teachers council. Sounds silly I know but you never can tell.

Really in your case you could pass it off as simple recreation or fun with the kids, doubt anybody would worry unless you really upset someone.

Also be aware that if word gets out that you are giving lessons for free you will have a million and one people knocking on your door.

If it was me I would keep my mouth shut and just do it. Have fun

This is an interesting question because here in Thailand you never really know what they want or what they are going to do or what bit of paper they suddenly decide to ask for. On any given day depending on the person and the place the rules seem to change just like that.

However, the rule is, any type of work paid or not paid you need a work permit.

In your case you are not working for a school, non profit or running your own business so I am not sure what sort of documentation they would require from you. For sure your teachers qualifications would be good enough but would they still require a waiver from the teachers council. Sounds silly I know but you never can tell.

Really in your case you could pass it off as simple recreation or fun with the kids, doubt anybody would worry unless you really upset someone.

Also be aware that if word gets out that you are giving lessons for free you will have a million and one people knocking on your door.

If it was me I would keep my mouth shut and just do it. Have fun

If you make those who can buy books it will bring it down to reasonable limits. You can always not make someone who cannot afford it pay.

Keep it informal and you should have no problems. I doubt helping a few kids out with there English Homework is a crime even in Thailand. Only Heaven knows how many times I helped out my Wife, or her kid brother occasionally when he is stuck.