Chicago police: Gun laws blamed for weekend killings

webfact

Chicago police: Gun laws blamed for weekend killings

CHICAGO: -- Chicago's police chief has blamed weak gun laws after a string of shootings over the holiday weekend that killed at least nine and injured dozens.

"It's Groundhog Day here in Chicago," Superintendent Garry McCarthy told reporters on Monday.

Supt McCarthy said there was a "greater sanction" for gang members to have their gun taken away from them by their own gang than for being arrested.

There were dozens of shooting incidents over the long weekend in the city.

The Chicago Tribune called it the "greatest burst of gun violence Chicago has seen this year" and said the number of fatalities was actually as high as 14.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28204940

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-07-08

• Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chicago has the most restrictive laws in the USA regarding the legal possession of firearms.

Therefore only criminals have guns as criminals per se do not respect laws.

How many of the shootings were gang-related?

Perhaps the police should catch and the courts punish lawbreakers?

While Chicago itself has what some may call strong gun laws on the books, the surrounding areas do not. Guns pass easily between states and cites.

• Like 1

Blame weak gun laws for holiday violence, Chicago's top cop says
By Michael Pearson, CNN

(CNN) -- Chicago's police superintendent lashed out at what he called lax state and federal gun laws after a violent Fourth of July weekend that saw more than 60 people shot and nine killed in a city already known for frequent shootings.

"There has to come a tipping point where this changes," Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said Monday of the violence. "The illogical nature of what's happening here -- that government can intercede and prevent this from happening is overwhelming. And I refuse to think otherwise in a great country like America that we can continue to allow this to happen -- not just on a state, but on a federal level."

McCarthy, reciting the criminal histories of several of the suspects in this weekend's violence, noted gang members face tougher consequences for losing their guns from their gangs than from authorities.

Full story: http://us.cnn.com/2014/07/07/justice/chicago-shootings/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2014-07-08

Yeah just ignore that one of the intended victims was a CCW permit holder and was able to defend himself against his assailant. <deleted> you gun grabber.

Please post the article...it has some interesting details about events surrounding the shooting.

Chicago Tribune:

"It was just one of dozens of shooting scenes across Chicago over the long Fourth of July weekend. In all, at least 82 people were shot, 14 of them fatally, since Thursday afternoon."

"Many of the long weekend's shootings were on the South Side, clustered in the Englewood, Roseland, Gresham and West Pullman neighborhoods that rank among the most violent in the city."

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-80736131/

Edited by ClutchClark

Chicago has the most restrictive laws in the USA regarding the legal possession of firearms.

Actually, Chicago has been issuing CCW permits since February of this year.

Chicago, New York all of the major cities in the US have extremely tight gun control laws. In NY the new mayor stopped the stop and frisk rules for the police and murders immediately went up. I am from the US and am very familiar with gun control, the criminal control is the problem. We let these gangs come in from different countries and they control the streets. If you look into the cause of street violence that is what the problem is. The problem with the mass shootings if looked closely enough is that most of the people do not take into consideration that all were on some type of drug prescribed by doctors. Also most used stolen or someone else's guns.

I cannot believe that people that do not know about the law's of the USA comment on our problems mainly caused by inept politicians, and there feel good attitude towards crime, immigration and drugs. I am in Thailand and I do not know the laws here about ownership of guns but is see gun violence daily in the news. &lt;deleted&gt; are everywhere in the world and it will be always be so, guns are everywhere.

I wonder if "3D Printing" technology will ever reach the point where guns can be "printed". Find the digital file online somewhere, obtain the raw materials somewhere, and...? Even if the materials were expensive and hard to find, or even if the product were useable for only a limited number of rounds, the essential fact is that such a "self-manufactured" firearm would have no serial number or other history and be untraceable.

Chicago, New York all of the major cities in the US have extremely tight gun control laws. In NY the new mayor stopped the stop and frisk rules for the police and murders immediately went up. I am from the US and am very familiar with gun control, the criminal control is the problem. We let these gangs come in from different countries and they control the streets. If you look into the cause of street violence that is what the problem is. The problem with the mass shootings if looked closely enough is that most of the people do not take into consideration that all were on some type of drug prescribed by doctors. Also most used stolen or someone else's guns.

I cannot believe that people that do not know about the law's of the USA comment on our problems mainly caused by inept politicians, and there feel good attitude towards crime, immigration and drugs. I am in Thailand and I do not know the laws here about ownership of guns but is see gun violence daily in the news. are everywhere in the world and it will be always be so, guns are everywhere.

What newspaper are you reading where you see gun violence daily in Thailand?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I wonder if "3D Printing" technology will ever reach the point where guns can be "printed". Find the digital file online somewhere, obtain the raw materials somewhere, and...? Even if the materials were expensive and hard to find, or even if the product were useable for only a limited number of rounds, the essential fact is that such a "self-manufactured" firearm would have no serial number or other history and be untraceable.

This has already been done and a pistol was made and assembled with I think 13 parts but the files were removed from the web by the feds.

By law, (a little help here neversure) a firearm can not be made 100% of composite materials so one part was made with an alloy that will set off the metal detector at the airport or the Federal courthouse or anywhere else some nutjob want s to go kill people.

Edited by ClutchClark

Interesting thing about that CCW shoot-out.

The group of four people went to a party in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Chicago. They left the party after midnight and the female driver in the group noticed a drink container on the roof of her car and yelled to a group of 20-year old gangbangers to get it off her roof. One of the gangbangers and the group of four exchanged words and the gangbanger went into his residence and came back out shooting. Apparently, the CCW holder was already positioned and ready for action.

If the group of four did not have a CCW permitted member of their group would they have been so bold?

They could have avoided a problem by not going to one of the most dangerous hoods in chicago after midnight. They could have avoided a problem by not making an issue of the drink container on the car roof.

They could have avoided an issue by driving away when the gangbanger started to approach them, again when he turned towards his house, again when he entered his house. But they did not try and avoid conflict.

The CCW permit holder exchanged fire with the gangbanger and shot twice and hit his target twice--commendable shooting.

The gangbangers two buddies then took out their own pistols and fired numerous additional rounds at the car of the partygoers as they sped away. The woman who got angry about the open container on her car was hit twice.

All of this could have been avoided if they had made simple obvious choices at any time leading up to the gunfight.

• Like 1

I cannot believe that people that do not know about the law's of the USA comment on our problems mainly caused by inept politicians, and there feel good attitude towards crime, immigration and drugs. I am in Thailand and I do not know the laws here about ownership of guns but is see gun violence daily in the news. <deleted> are everywhere in the world and it will be always be so, guns are everywhere.

Almost all the gun violence in the OP was black-on-black. They were not from different countries...but you are most likely correct that most of the firearms were stolen. Maybe the thing to do is to make harsher sentences for gun owners who allow their firearms to be stolen.

The group of four people went to a party in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Chicago. They left the party after midnight and the female driver in the group noticed a drink container on the roof of her car and yelled to a group of 20-year old gangbangers to get it off her roof. One of the gangbangers and the group of four exchanged words and the gangbanger went into his residence and came back out shooting. Apparently, the CCW holder was already positioned and ready for action.

If the group of four did not have a CCW permitted member of their group would they have been so bold?

They could have avoided a problem by not going to one of the most dangerous hoods in chicago after midnight. They could have avoided a problem by not making an issue of the drink container on the car roof.

They could have avoided an issue by driving away when the gangbanger started to approach them, again when he turned towards his house, again when he entered his house. But they did not try and avoid conflict.

The CCW permit holder exchanged fire with the gangbanger and shot twice and hit his target twice--commendable shooting.

The gangbangers two buddies then took out their own pistols and fired numerous additional rounds at the car of the partygoers as they sped away. The woman who got angry about the open container on her car was hit twice.

All of this could have been avoided if they had made simple obvious choices at any time leading up to the gunfight.

Interesting. Where does it say she yelled at the gangbangers? The article uses the verb "asked". The article also says "As Mickiel fired at the victims’ vehicle, the military member retrieved his gun and took cover near the vehicle’s front fender, according to Hain". You say "Apparently, the CCW holder was already positioned and ready for action."

Did you read a different account of this shooting or have you simply altered it to suit your agenda.

It reads like a drunken thug reacted when asked to remove a drink he placed on someones car. Ego fueled by drugs. He got a reaction he didn't expect and has rightly been charged with attempted murder.

Your suggestion that all this could be avoided by avoiding areas and not antagonizing drunks, bullies or ganbangers doesn't work. Standing up to them does.

I wish other countries respected the rights of citizens to protect themselves and family as America does.

• Like 2

Interesting. Where does it say she yelled at the gangbangers? The article uses the verb "asked". The article also says "As Mickiel fired at the victims vehicle, the military member retrieved his gun and took cover near the vehicles front fender, according to Hain". You say "Apparently, the CCW holder was already positioned and ready for action."

Did you read a different account of this shooting or have you simply altered it to suit your agenda.

It reads like a drunken thug reacted when asked to remove a drink he placed on someones car. Ego fueled by drugs. He got a reaction he didn't expect and has rightly been charged with attempted murder.

Your suggestion that all this could be avoided by avoiding areas and not antagonizing drunks, bullies or ganbangers doesn't work. Standing up to them does.

I wish other countries respected the rights of citizens to protect themselves and family as America does.

I suppose we should ask the woman who is in critical condition with two gunshot wounds how well standing up to someone over a beercan worked out for her.

You don't get it--the first step in avoiding gun violence is situational awareness. These people lacked that and it could have turned out even worse than it did.

Oh dear...

His carreer prospects suddenly do not look good for speaking common sense.

Did he not know that the the gun-rights lobby outspend, out-organize and out-manoeuvre gun-control advocates at both the state and federal level. sad.png

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 1

Likely all black gang members. Not saying this to be racist, as the victims are likely black too. They don't usually shoots whites who are customers of their drugs and it's bad for business. It is a shame but gun laws are already in place and only half measures. These thugs could careless about gun laws.

And if they just keep letting them back on the streets what good is it to even arrest them?

Many towns have as many guns and do not have this violence. It is a social issue and an economic one.

I cannot believe that people that do not know about the law's of the USA comment on our problems mainly caused by inept politicians, and there feel good attitude towards crime, immigration and drugs. I am in Thailand and I do not know the laws here about ownership of guns but is see gun violence daily in the news. <deleted> are everywhere in the world and it will be always be so, guns are everywhere.

Almost all the gun violence in the OP was black-on-black. They were not from different countries...but you are most likely correct that most of the firearms were stolen. Maybe the thing to do is to make harsher sentences for gun owners who allow their firearms to be stolen.

Gun owners who allow their property to be stolen should be punished? That's rich. You must be in politics.

• Like 2

After a knee jerk reaction to a school shooting in the UK the Government banned all handguns and several rifles as well. Did it make any difference ? YES But not in the way the Government expected. It simply ensured that the only people to have guns and still use them were the bad guys. Children and innocent bystanders are killed in gang shootouts and gang on gang shooting deaths are at an all time high.

Banning guns isn't the answer but just what is the answer ? blink.png

I bet the woman shot for complaining about a drinks container on her car wishes she had just put it on the sidewalk and driven off and not given it the big I am !

Gun owners who allow their property to be stolen should be punished? That's rich. You must be in politics.

Gun ownership is a responsibility with deadly consequences for carelessness.

Many american gunowners do not take that responsibility seriously.

"WASHINGTON About 1.4 million firearms were stolen during household burglaries and other property crimes over the six-year period from 2005 through 2010, according to a report released today by the Justice Departments Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS). This number represents an estimated average of 232,400 firearms stolen each year about 172,000 stolen during burglaries and 60,300 stolen during other property crimes." http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/press/fshbopc0510pr.cfm

"WASHINGTON Slightly more than 190,000 firearms were reported lost or stolen across the country last year, according to a new report by the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives...Individuals (who) steal firearms are more likely to commit violent crimes with stolen guns, transfer stolen firearms to others who commit crimes and create an unregulated secondary market for firearms,'' the ATF report stated."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/06/17/atf-firearms-lost-stolen/2432447/

"Shortly after midnight on April 13, Spring Township police arrested a 19-year-old homeless man for entering an unlocked car along Grandview Avenue and taking a .45-caliber pistol and ammunition.

Police said the suspect also admitted to taking a pistol from another unlocked vehicle the night before on Lancaster Avenue in Cumru Township."

http://readingeagle.com/news/article/when-your-guns-are-gone-perils-of-stolen-firearms&template=mobileart

How do you define "responsible" gun ownership?

Cheers

Any politician who stood on that platform would never make the primary ;-)

However, laws like this are being created at the local level in various US municipalities.

There is some question about the laws efficacy and the NRA is fighting like crazy to prevent anything similar at a state or federal level.

Well,

Here we go again. The experts in this matter, ie: Police Superintendent, will tell us how it is and then all the nay sayers and gun slingers will race in and litter this spot with some more tosh and hyperbol.

The american laws and systems are killing its own people. When will they ever learn?

How much blood has to be spilt unnecessarily?

What a shame, a damn shame.

RIP to all those men, women and children that are being slaughtered so needlessly in the streets. Is this 2014?

Tell everybody about Port Arthur neverdie, and the changes that led to in Oz. They need our laws in the States desperately.