Evdo Cdma

joka

Hello !

I have been reading about Hutch-ToT's CDMA EVDO venture, and am wondering if anyone knows the coverage of this service.

Right now, there is no Hutch service available here in Nakhon Si Thammarat province, and no mention of it in the future in the articles I read. However, I actually live closer to Surat Thani (the city) than I do to Nakhon Si THammarat. And there is mention of a Hutch office in Surat Thani. Now I am living in Amphoe Khanom, which is a village on the mainland directly across from Koh Samui, about 30 km's from Don Sak, the ferry depot.

So, in my search for a fast internet connection, I am wondering if I could possibly use this service in the near future, they are saying it should be fully operational by January 2007.

I guess I could scout around and see if Hutch is building a cell tower in the area? Or do you think they are confining this service to the major cities? This wouldn't make too much sense, as they already have ADSL service already, but this is where most of the customers might be.

I thought CAT was the original CDMA 400/850 service, but could be mistaken. The building or fence usually says something like CAT CDMA. This is not a GSM service, so you won't see it on your phone.

With the hattrick of providers you should stand a reasonable chance of getting Hutch some day. I'm just not sure what the carrier's incentive to expand is here. As much as I would love to have good Edge coverage on Koh Tao, and I know that it would be used by the significant farang base that can't get a phone line... it doesn't seem like it will ever come. We do have ADSL on the island now though... so never rule it out...

that's what really flips my wig, i know they have adsl on koh phangan and koh tao, yet they can't service me because i am 6KM's from the exchange, as the wire lies. Yet I am less than 2 KM's as the crow flies. Guess I'll wait another 6 months or so .... %^}