Koh Samui Or Phuket?

Taiwandan

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum - actually live in Taiwan - and would like info for a trip I've planned for August (I know, not the best time to go). Problem is that I can't decide whether to go to Koh Samui or Phuket.

I've been both places once a number of years ago and so am undecided.

My concerns are:

1. budget (hotel budget is 2,000 bhat per night)

2. weather (imagine both places are steaming hot, but is either marginally better [cooler] in August?)

3. crowds - both places are in-season in August. Which could be considered the less crowded of the two this time of year?

Thanks for your help! I know these questions / concerns are very general, so I'm open to any suggestions you might have.

Thanks, DAN

you would probably have a larger range of things to do on phuket. Samui is very nice though. Accommodation wise on phuket that more than enough money for a reasonable standard resort.

not sure about samui as only stayed at one resort there, the rest of the time was always just passing through on the way to Koh Tao

My concerns are:

2. weather (imagine both places are steaming hot, but is either marginally better [cooler] in August?)

3. crowds - both places are in-season in August. Which could be considered the less crowded of the two this time of year?

1. More than Ample for a respectable hotel room per night. Especially at that time of year.

2. Difficult to say, its been quite wet here recently but theres been a lot of weather activity coming over from China, September is notoriously the worst month for rain. Its fair to say its goingto be hot and humid with a risk of showers (Always wanted to be a weatherman!)

3. In-Season in August??? LOL - you will find August is the middle of low season for phuket, whilst you might have a slightly higher % of tourists than say June/July its certainly not going to be anywhere near as much as your going to get in December-April.

Depending on the duration of your stay, why not do both? Spend some time in Phuket then hop over to Samui for a few days at the end of your hols? As the poster above said your likely to find more activities/things to do on Phuket, I've never been to Samui but i'm told theres less to do there.

Hope that helps a bit!

Well I love Samui just been to phuket for 5 day honeymoon, no people and plenty of +10% service +7% VAT flying about plus tour prices in US dollars! You know what I mean? Phuket quite nice though bit of a classy feel, but stay central as songtells are expensive to move about on especially at night when they are known to milk tourists, but my vote is for Samui.

Phuket is far more interesting and the seas around phuket are way nicer .... If I were to do the Gulf instead i'd think about Koh Phangan or Koh Tao ...

Samui has just gotten too dangerous over the last 2 years

Ive been to both places quiet a few times. When i go to one i go to both.

I say Phuket is my vote, I think its alittle cleaner and has more to do. Not saying Samui is dirty and boring, but Phuket to me is nicer and has more of a nightlife which is what I love the most

If you are coming in August, there's no question you should go to Samui. This is not because i think Samui is nicer than Phuket, nor are there more things to do. The only important factor is the weather. August is the rainy season for Phuket, whereas its the high season in Samui.

So unless you like rain and rough seas, go to Samui.

My concerns are:

- In Phuket, you would have many choices of hotels around 2,000THB per night (can also be the guesthouse too) while in Koh Samui, the hotels will be more expesive starting from July ( to around Semtember) and of course, all hotels are running high occupancy in Koh Samui in July and Aug.

- It's actually the rainny season already in both places. Cooler sometimes when it rains for sure and of course humid.

- Phuket will be less crowded during Aug comparing to Koh Samui. Phuket will start the busy season usually around October onward.

I agree with the first comment that there are more different things to do in Phuket (on different beaches) while in Koh Samui, people focus just Chaweng beach or Lamai beach.

Hope that gives you some ideas before you finalize your plan. :o

Actually, August is not the rainy season in Samui. There is rain, yes, but that does not make it the rainy season. The rainy season means the wind and the rain comes out of the north and east and that brings heavy rains and high seas, usually beginning in October.

August brings the Pattaya wind (don't ask me why its called the Pattaya wind) which comes from the south west and brings a rapidly blowing high wind and some rain. It quickly blows through however.

I believe the problem in Phuket in August are the very big waves and rip tides experienced off the west coast of the island. These don't occur in Samui until Oct/Nov/Dec.