Driving from Chiang Mai to Chanthaburi..in one day?

sendbaht

Wife and I want to take a car trip and thinking of going to Chanthaburi, then to Kho Chang.

We are in no real hurry but do you all drive straight though, or break it up like 1/2 way?

Plus any cool places to stay in Chanthburi that you all recommend? Thanks in advance.

We have the Kho Chang resorts covered.

Well, it's about 900km, so it's a fair drive.

Depends what you want in Chathaburi? Do you want to stop in the main town, explore the gem market etc? Or head down to the beach areas like Laem Sing?

What sort if budget and type of accommodation are you looking at?

Well, after all this...we have decided to head to Pai...little closer. Will safe the Ko Chang trip for a little better weather...Thanks so much mrtaod....

Koh Chang is better between November to April really, lot of rain at the moment.

Enjoy the trip to Pai

• Like 1

Depends what you want in Chathaburi? Do you want to stop in the main town, explore the gem market etc? Or head down to the beach areas like Laem Sing?

12 hour drive..Its a snap.thumbsup.gif

Maybe back in your home country, but here, wow....get off the main roads and it can be a challenge. Pot holes the size of small cars, scooters going the wrong way without lights (same with farm vehicles), trucks overtaking in the opposite direction and forcing you off the road.

I'm worn out after only 6-7 hours! 555555 I'd do that drive in 2 parts.

wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Maybe stop by and see that fantastic Khmer temple on the way? Hotels are nearby and mornings are a great time to visit this place:

http://www.renown-travel.com/khmertemples/phanom-rung.html

• Like 2

Well we decided to go to Fang (yes i know how exciting) then to Chiang Rai to see the grand kids...but yes, 12 hours on roads here is tough...or tougher then driving up PCH..

Thanks for all the reply's.

Edited by sendbaht

I have often done Chiang Mai - Surin in one go, 11 hours, but with no regard for the speed limits,expect to pay 400 Baht in 'Fines'

I do it all the time. 1000k is no problems. Get out and see Thailand.

Maybe back in your home country, but here, wow....get off the main roads and it can be a challenge. Pot holes the size of small cars, scooters going the wrong way without lights (same with farm vehicles), trucks overtaking in the opposite direction and forcing you off the road.

wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Maybe stop by and see that fantastic Khmer temple on the way? Hotels are nearby and mornings are a great time to visit this place:

I drive 1000k a day threw out Thailand with no problems..

• Like 1

Ive done 600 in one trip but was titingg, due to the idiotic driving more than anything else. Koh Chang to Kanchanaburi. Never again.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Depends on the roads and your stamina! 55555

I did a route not long ago where it was tough to do over 70kph. A good part of the day was much slower. But if on the highways, and you don't mind driving in the dark, then its possible...but very tiring. Why rush when there are soooo many interesting places to see!

I don't drive at night for a variety of reasons. Just not worth it.

When you have time why in one day? There are lots of interesting places to stay overnight at little costs. F.i. the nice place called phayao. Fueniture country around Uttaradit and Phrae. Have some fun !

wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

you are crazy !!!!

Well we decided to go to Fang (yes i know how exciting) then to Chiang Rai to see the grand kids...but yes, 12 hours on roads here is tough...or tougher then driving up PCH..

Thanks for all the reply's.

Continue up the road a short distance to Thaton, along the Kok River, rather than staying in Fang itself.

• Like 1

wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

you are crazy !!!!
done that, too. Not exactly fun but if it has to be done it's doable.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

you are crazy !!!!
done that, too. Not exactly fun but if it has to be done it's doable.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The wife drives half of the time but its getting to the point were laying over for a night.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say that anyone who thinks they can drive from Chiang Mai to Chantaburi in 12 hours is kidding. There are a number

of spots where traffic and/or current road conditions will simply overwhelm any attempt to drive the required 140kmh let alone100. If you did a longer stint on Day one you could leave yourself 5 or 6 easy hours the second day, probably stop around Lop Buri to do that, check out the monkeys or something.

When you get to Chantaburi itself the beaches can be a bit bleak this time of year, but as you are not doing it anyway it

doesn't matter

• Like 2

Sakon Nakhon to chantaburi, I stopped overnight along the 304 after Korat. If it were a proper motorway then its doable.

Pattaya to Phuket I done in 15 Hrs, silly me, never again.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What bunch of whiners. Do this kind of driving 1000 km in 12 to 14 hours threw out Thailand on a steady bases.

Agreed. It's not THAT bad.

Last December, I drove from Cha-am (Phetchaburi) to Buriram, stayed there a few days.. went on to Maha Sarakham and Roi Et for two days.. headed to Sakon Nakhon next

Sakon Nakhon to Chiang Rai non-stop (only for pit stops) and after 3 days returned from Chiang Rai to Phetchaburi non-stop (again) on my Honda Wave

I'd have to say that "somehow" the distance/average speeds (80 km/h average) didn't add up... or there is something wrong with GPS

Chiang Rai - Phetchaburi took me much longer than you would imagine.. I would have assumed the trip to take average of 15 hours with stops for the 950km trip but it took more like 22 hours.

^^^^^^^^^

You done all that on a Honda wave?

Why not. People do it all the time.

I wasn't implying there was anything wrong with doing it on a Honda wave, my response was more of a 'hats off to you' .

Didn't think you were.wai2.gif Not my cup of tea sore arsh.facepalm.gif As you said hats off.thumbsup.gif I seen this threw out Thailand and riding their waves into Cambodia to Siem Reap threw Chong Chom.biggrin.png

• 3 weeks later...

Why would anyone in their right mind want to ride a Honda Wave non-stop (fuel of course) for 22

hours, or regularly drive 1000km in 12-14 hours. Oh I forgot, you can brag on this forum about howmuch of a hero you are for doing ridiculous things which in no way can be proven. You can of

course do these things if you pursue them with single minded fanaticism and all the erratic

behaviour that goes with it, but I hope you dont cross my path on the road. Top efforts. Try

changing hands.

Why would anyone in their right mind want to ride a Honda Wave non-stop (fuel of course) for 22

hours, or regularly drive 1000km in 12-14 hours. Oh I forgot, you can brag on this forum about howmuch of a hero you are for doing ridiculous things which in no way can be proven. You can of

course do these things if you pursue them with single minded fanaticism and all the erratic

behaviour that goes with it, but I hope you dont cross my path on the road. Top efforts. Try

changing hands.

Friend just did 900 km CNX to Kap Choeng 12 hours CBR 250. Not me but he is Oz .whistling.gif

Averaging 75km including whatever stops were made. That is above what I average driving say from Chantaburi to Phuket on good highway all the way. I don't drive slow, maybe 100 -120 and I don't stop for long but I can only average about 70 by the time you take traffic and such into account. This doesn't take into account the overnight stop at Prachuap of course. Which makes me think your friend must be riding like a lunatic to get a CBR 250 to average that speed. I haven't ridden a new CBR 250 but from experience riding a lot of bikes I don't think it would sit comfortably above 120 especially under Thai road conditions. You'd be revving the guts out of it and all sorts of wacko's would want to drag you. Good luck to him, he'll need it.

Averaging 75km including whatever stops were made. That is above what I average driving say from Chantaburi to Phuket on good highway all the way. I don't drive slow, maybe 100 -120 and I don't stop for long but I can only average about 70 by the time you take traffic and such into account. This doesn't take into account the overnight stop at Prachuap of course. Which makes me think your friend must be riding like a lunatic to get a CBR 250 to average that speed. I haven't ridden a new CBR 250 but from experience riding a lot of bikes I don't think it would sit comfortably above 120 especially under Thai road conditions. You'd be revving the guts out of it and all sorts of wacko's would want to drag you. Good luck to him, he'll need it.

Took the words out of mouth.w00t.gif

• Like 1