* Malaysia 4 month contract

Have possible deal in KL at Malaysia Telekom. I have never been. I'm in Bangkok for 5 years. I will be coming back sometimes obviously to see wife here and she come there some if not whole time.

My apt is 10000 baht here with ut's. I am looking for similar there. Nothing special. Kitchen and W/D and A/C would be nice.

Any help on going there, visa, apartment for 4 months and advice in general would be awesome thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Easy for your Thai wife to join you, 30 days stay visa exempt upon entry, unless your employer is willing to sponsor her for dependants pass. But seeing as your contract is only 4 months I think its highly unlikely as the process "seems" to take an age.

I know guys whose Thai girlfriends visit them regularly for 30 day visits via the airport.

What is your nationality?

With a British passport you will receive a 90 day visa exempt entry, enter on this and your employer will need to apply for employment pass when you are in Malaysia, this also seems to take an age to arrive and without it you can't open a local bank account.

Depending on what your expectations are about living arrangements you will not find a centrally located apartment for 10K baht or 1K Ringgit in KL. You could rent a room in a shared apartment for 1K a month in the central area though.

Where will your employment be based? In KL or the surrounding area?

Try to live close to your place of work as the traffic jams in KL can be chronic. Last Friday evening it took me 1.5 hours to drive about 3 kilometres!

Income tax is stepped up to a maximum of 26%, being capped at 100,000 Ringgit/year. As you will not be in the country for over 6 months in any year you will not gain tax resident status (not that it brings you much benefit inside the country anyway).

KL itself is OK to live in, not exactly heavenly, but OK.

Good luck.

Hi!

I am a US citizen. I am having my $$ sent back to America, so I'm billing them to pay the 10% withholding - not out of my end.

Is it dangerous? I've read things that you have personally said about your wife or gf getting put in a police car so I'm hesitant to let her come there.

Here is the work location: Telekom Malaysia Berhad
Address: Level 40, North Wing, Menara TM, Jalan Pantai Baru, 50672, Kuala Lumpur, WP Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Any ideas around there for accomodation?

• You should stay at Petaling Jaya area which have direct monorail connected to your office, rental a bit far more expensive and beers too.

1 jug 4 glasses cost 350-400 Baht far more expensive due to muslim country, don't drive a traffic jam worst then Bangkok. Good luck!

Hi!

I am a US citizen. I am having my $$ sent back to America, so I'm billing them to pay the 10% withholding - not out of my end.

Is it dangerous? I've read things that you have personally said about your wife or gf getting put in a police car so I'm hesitant to let her come there.

Here is the work location: Telekom Malaysia Berhad

Address: Level 40, North Wing, Menara TM, Jalan Pantai Baru, 50672, Kuala Lumpur, WP Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Any ideas around there for accomodation?

Sorry, not familiar with the area.

Yes, the police extorted money from my Thai wife in the centre of KL because she wasn't carrying her passport, even though she had a valid Malaysian ID card (via a dependants pass).

Police here are worse than Thailand I have found. They are simply not interested in anything other than making money and won't come to your aid, its too much like hard work.

But this was the only time she was targeted in the 2 years we have been here.

Moving back to Singapore in September.

All in all, its generally OK here.

Accommodation, try this site.

http://www.propertyguru.com.my/property-for-rent?listing_type=rent&search_type=district&property_type=N&region_code=MY14&districts%5B%5D=KL038&latitude=&longitude=&interest=&hdb_type_group=&minprice=&maxprice=&minbed=&maxbed=&minsize=&maxsize=&minsize_land=&maxsize_land=&freetext=&minpsf=&maxpsf=&listing_posted=&mintop=&maxtop=&sort=&order=&min_latitude=&max_latitude=&min_longitude=&max_longitude=&is_commercial=&submit=

But for 4 months you are looking at renting a room in an apartment, this you will only find by searching around once you arrive.

The area you mention is not far from (although it would be better not to have to travel to work very far, the traffic is awful) KL Sentral, which is near Little India, there will be loads of rooms for rent there at low prices.

Edited by soihok