Thai editorial: Death penalty is not the solution to rape

webfact

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bigger the case the more people want to be in the photo op including the higher ups..

I guess that is why they holding this one in the carpark, no room to fit in everyone indoors.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Punishing convicted rapists with the death penalty will not address the root causes of the problem."

No your right. But for sure he will not be release from jail someday to do it again.

• Like 2

Rapists are everywhere, there is no appropriate deterrent and never will be. You see the death penalty doesn't deter drug sellers and smugglers.

You catch one, give him life in prison but then the tax payer has to foot the bill for his food and lodging for the rest of his life.

The trouble is the crime is unstoppable and the rapist unrepentant, some courts can be harsh on the victim as well.

"Death penalty is not the solution to rape"

But Chemical Castration is!! and would send a serious message to the serial rapists in this country who think that rape is a normal part of Thai culture and accepted through the male Thai society.

• Like 2

Good job Khaosod!

Anyway it's never a good idea to speak about this subject the day something so horrific happened.

Do not relate your opinion to a special crime, just tell: "Are you in favor of the death penalty or are you abolitionist?"

IMO, there are two kinds of people on this planet (the pro death penalty and the cons) and these two kinds can drink together, can make love but CANNOT discuss the topic, they CANNOT understand each other.
I'm against the death penalty and I will NOT try to convince you. Just, don't try either.

• Like 2

" Thailand's justice system is not reliable enough to be responsible for decisions about life and death."

Says it all, really.

I don't believe any justice system in the world is responsible enough for such decisions. The legal system is a game played by lawyers for profit, not justice.

And political gain.

• Like 1

Possibly the reactionary idea of passing the accused over to the victims family might well be an innovative idea, one would no doubt see a dramatic drop in the crime of rape if this course of judgemental action was to be followed..

As a parent, and grandparent, I have always thought this a good idea, with no reprecussions to family when done with the guilty one.

I think the punishment should fit the crime and people who rape and murder children definitely in my opinion deserve the death penalty.

The state cannot and should not decide whether someone should live or die. If the state kills him, then they are no better than the murderers themselves, whether they deserve it or not. If anything life imprisonment would give him hell for the next 60 years, prisoners don't really go easy on child rape and murderers.

• Like 2

"Punishing convicted rapists with the death penalty will not address the root causes of the problem."

How about addressing the :"Male Entitlement" culture? From the earliest age, males seem to be conditioned to believe that can do whatever they want and not be punished. In fact, they are rewarded. The spoiled boy running around causing havoc, while mum is chasing him, trying to spoon feed him his dinner. I have heard stories about boys saying that if a girl is walking by herself, then a boy has the right to rape her. Although I can't corroborate this, I am not willing to dismiss it as being false, after observing male behavior in Thailand.

The root of the problem appears to be that males are not held responsible for their actions. Combine this with a subculture that appears to accept males drinking and using drugs (yabba, in the case of the assailant of this 13 year-old girl) while women are expected to support them, one can see why many males believe they can commit any act they wish to and not be held responsible.

It is a lot more difficult to change the culture than to enforce the death penalty. As the saying goes, "There is always a solution that is fast, convenient, and wrong".

Could not agree more. I see heaps of thai women who not only accept this garbage from their young as in sons but also from their partners and others. It’s normal to see a high percentage of thai women treated like garbage by thai males of all ages yet they cling to them like they are Buddha's gift. IMHO it has a lot to do with the lack of social security status and social equality in Thailand that has been available in western cultures that has allowed western women to not tolerate the same level of garbage from western males. What is leading me to that belief is seeing large numbers of thai women with security of residency or citizenship in my country but still heavily or partially reliant on the local thai community rejecting that thai male garbage be that from within personal relationships or broader friendships and work relationships. That western social structure security is worth a lot. Compared to back in Thailand it is chalk and cheese. Thailand has a long way to go in social equality let alone moving beyond the patronage system that allows also the rich and powerful to treat all including women like dogs.

The victim's family should choose what route the punishment should take if convicted . . . death penalty, castration, life imprisonment, stoning, or being left with all the victims family in a quiet place at night for an hour alone.

• Like 2