Calls for Thai TV soap opera to be dropped

webfact

Darn !!! I saw this headline, and I thought that Prayuth had canceled all the insane

Thai soap operas. Would be a great move on his part. They are a poor reflection of Thai society,

and contribute to moral decay. Every show looks the same to me, people living in giant mansions,

crazy women slapping each other, lots of crying, fighting, and gay looking guys shooting each other.

These shows are extensively watched throughout Thailand, and represent a massive waste of

time.......... Every farang here on TV has a wife/girlfriend who is glued to the television watching

these shows like it was the second coming of Christ. Or maybe with the large amount of TV members

that have a hi-so Chinese / Thai wife with family connected to high ranking policemen, their wives do not

watch the soapies. :-)

Don't forget at least ONE GUY dressed up as a woman and the unbelievable OVER ACTING. It's so bad that it's beyond laughable.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thai soaps are appalling they promote all the bad ideals esp brothels and mia nois and fighting and squabbling over money and murder and stabbings , not exactly a good idea even if its true

Aren't all Thai soaps exactly the same, same storyline? Screaming tantrum throwing little rich bitches fighting over one rich guy.

pretty spot on chooka but you left out the ghosts/evil spirits, they seem to have a lot of them in the storylines as well.

• Like 2

I am always astonished by the homes these people have in these soap operas. They make Buckingham Palace appear like a shack in some trailer park. My whole home could fit into one of their kitchens, beds the size of football pitches and ceilings as high as St Paul's Cathedral. And the cars they drive, big custom made 10 million baht Mercs and everything always looks spotlessly clean and new in showroom condition. I often say to my wife, they must have the best housekeepers in the world. The housekeepers are always portrayed as completely subservient almost kissing the masters feet and get on with their jobs without question.

The characters in these soap operas appear to be continuously at war with each other. Sometimes there are scenes where women get raped or beaten by close friends, family members or their bosses and then just brush it off before going onto the next plot. When there are police involved it is always the same 2 guys who seem to appear in every soap opera.

These soap operas do not depict the real Thai way of life whatsoever, but if they do entertain the masses and perhaps make them forget about their own mundane lives for a while and takes them into an imaginary world of high society, scandal and make believe, than why not just leave them and let the viewers have their fun.

Whether these soap operas continue or not in their presents formats should be determined by popular demand and not by the do gooders who think they know better on the behalf of others.

Darn !!! I saw this headline, and I thought that Prayuth had canceled all the insane

Thai soap operas. Would be a great move on his part. They are a poor reflection of Thai society,

and contribute to moral decay. Every show looks the same to me, people living in giant mansions,

crazy women slapping each other, lots of crying, fighting, and gay looking guys shooting each other.

These shows are extensively watched throughout Thailand, and represent a massive waste of

time.......... Every farang here on TV has a wife/girlfriend who is glued to the television watching

these shows like it was the second coming of Christ. Or maybe with the large amount of TV members

that have a hi-so Chinese / Thai wife with family connected to high ranking policemen, their wives do not

watch the soapies. :-)

Great role models indeed.

if the population has the common sense of an ant why feed them trash to make matters worse ? surely they need programs like open university to improve their brains with knowledge instead of dumbing down

I have always thought Thai TV soaps as some form of slow torture of enduring rubbish. Besides when it comes to morals, that is the pot calling the kettle black.

I have never seen so many guns popping out of nowhere to settle a dispute, which is rather inappropriate don't you think ?

Considering that The General is currently collecting war weapons, the script ought to be rewritten. Thinking of shifting to Sonkhran and water pistols :D

Thai soapies make me sick when I watch them. The lack of any real/believable story line or the fact that, as mentioned, they all follow the same ridiculous story line makes me wonder if they have infact followed the same formula the American soapie writters have for many years.

Best thing to do when the missus is watching is tune out!

Have you ever listened to Thai music? they recycle the same words, just change the singer, tempo and rhythm.

Why is the scenery in outside shots totally bleached out? Sometimes it almost looks like snow.

Thai TV scenes, both inside and outside, are usually overexposed and over-lit to make the actors' skin look whiter.

Filmyworld-13-93416Underexposed-Normal-O

Yeah. Its funny sometimes the actors or moderators are so highly brightened you cant even see their face impressions anymore.

What Thailand really needs is some top quality game shows and here is one that should go down really well.......its Family Fortunes and this week its the S.............. faimily from up north playing against the S>>>>>> family from somewhere over the rainbow.

Another one that would go down big here would be ...................Bullseye..................cant beat a bit of Bully and thos efabulous prizes where 2 people share a caravan. We could teach them a thing or two about top quality entertainment and not a bowl of soup/soap in sight!

• Like 1

Thai soapies make me sick when I watch them. The lack of any real/believable story line or the fact that, as mentioned, they all follow the same ridiculous story line makes me wonder if they have infact followed the same formula the American soapie writters have for many years.

Have you ever listened to Thai music? they recycle the same words, just change the singer, tempo and rhythm.

And most Western songs are about what? Sex, Alcohol and Drugs, bitchy relationships.

If you would understand thai language and would really know thai life (not a "farang lives in thailand life") you would know that many thai find them self in these songs. If you like it or not you should accept it.

Music should make people happy. If it makes Thais happy then let them be happy.

And most Western songs are about what? Sex, Alcohol and Drugs, bitchy relationships.

If you would understand thai language and would really know thai life (not a "farang lives in thailand life") you would know that many thai find them self in these songs. If you like it or not you should accept it.

I never mentioned Western music or eluded to it being better.

I have 30 years experience in Thailand and my Thai is very good.

When I mention the subject of my post to Thai's they get a good laugh out of it.

I never said that people shouldn't enjoy music or not be happy

Errr Music doesn't have one purpose only ( to make you feel all nice and warm ). Joy Division, Leonard Cohen, Lou Reed, Velvet Underground, The Stooges anyway back on topic Thai TV Soaps personally I think they aren't so much an insult to your intelligence more an absolute VIOLATION of your intelligence, however and there are some notable exceptions ( House of cards, the new Fargo 1st season and a few more) I really don't think too highly of American and UK TV crappy reality shows ( Have you seen Big Brother in the UK? Jeeez what a pile of ****) cooking competitions and yes crappy soaps. Never liked Corrie or Eastenders, or those imported abominations from down under.

What Thailand really needs is some top quality game shows and here is one that should go down really well.......its Family Fortunes and this week its the S.............. faimily from up north playing against the S>>>>>> family from somewhere over the rainbow.

Another one that would go down big here would be ...................Bullseye..................cant beat a bit of Bully and thos efabulous prizes where 2 people share a caravan. We could teach them a thing or two about top quality entertainment and not a bowl of soup/soap in sight!

I hear Micheal Barrymores quiz shows are cheap as not shown in the UK, so perhaps they could buy them, but don't invite him to your pool party EVER!

• Like 2

The soaps should all be busted more for the lack of creativity, acting, and musical scoring. Currently these programs, with their subject matter and storylines, mixed in with bad timing, acting, mismatched music are more like comedy productions.