Now i am going! hope to stay 6+ months from september

gameyey

I wanted to come for 2+ months from February, however it ended up just being a package tour and just got one week in Chiang Mai during Songkran. But now in September it's time, and i have booked a one-way flight!

In february i made this post:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/702144-when-should-i-come/

I mentioned earning at least 300$ a month online, but i am happy to say it's now in the range of 1000-2000$.

And with additional savings, i am now certain i will not end up homeless on the streets of Thailand.

I'll listen to the advice of Anonymouse on the last post. I am doing my best to do everything transparent and completely legal, but it just doesn't seem to be any practical solution. I will just have to pay tax in my home country and travel as a tourist or student.

I also made this post:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/737533-tourist-visa-how-can-3-entries-within-90-days-become-270days/

It somehow changed track to be about retirement visa, but i am 27 so i won't be able to get that.

I will simply get a triple entry visa, and if i decide to stay longer or skip border-runs, i'll probably go for the language-school ED-visa option.

Most minor-nuisances should be sorted.

Now i have been looking everywhere at good apartment offers, and seen a lot of great things, but i am not sure if i should try to get something in advance or just have a look in person when i am there. I am also not completely sure what i am looking for or my budget, but i am thinking my total monthly budget could be less than 50.000baht. And it should be possible to find a decent apartment around 15k a month, so i'll at least spend less than 20.000 on everything apartment related, and have about 1.000 a day to enjoy life wink.png

My hardest requirement is internet access, i am hoping to get at least 5mbit by cable directly to my apartment, not a shared/unstable wifi.

This is what is hard to figure out on house/condo listings, extremely few have internet directly mentioned in the offer. If the ad doesn't mention it and don't have a phone line, can i still expect to get decent internet access?

Also i can't stand bugs, i would wish to try an apartment for at least a night or two before signing a 3 or 6 month contract, to make sure there are definitely no bed-bugs, cockroaches, or anything else keeping me up at night. Would that be reasonable to ask?

I would also like to live central, perhaps in Nimman. Seems to be a vibrant community of people doing interesting work from coffee-shops etc, if you are one of them, send me a message! I am definitely looking for friends in the area. I am leaving friends and family for a long time, and i would very much appreciate a few PM's about socializing/hanging-out.

I am also considering trying to get at least a 1 bedroom just so i could invite couch-surfers. A studio is a bit intimate for that.

I noticed people getting private offers, and condo suggestions in other posts, i would love to get some too! i would like a kitchen that has at least fridge and cooking plates, some kind of veranda, and furnished with somewhere nice to sit and work for many hours a day, preferably facing out a window where i could notice people and something nature'ish.

Edited by gameyey

Check out Airbnb.com You have real apartments, condos, homes that are up for rent. Most if not all, will let you rent for 3 or 4 days to get an idea about the place. If you like the place, I'm sure they'll negotiate a long term contract with you.

For internet, a 3G aircard may be your best option. I have both True (which is someshat unstable where I live) and DTAC (which works very well where I live). I also have AIS 3G service on my phone and it works well.

The Visa thing though may be difficult. Thai Immigration has really been cracking down this year on people abusing the Tourist Visa / Visa Waiver privileges, specifically targeting people who are not coming for legitimate tourism and / or plan to stay indefinitely - if they suspect you are doing that they can refuse to allow you to re-enter when you go for a border run. Also it is a requirement when coming for tourism that you can show proof of having a round trip air ticket back home, though they do not often check for that. Further you are prohibited to work in Thailand when on a tourist visa - so if they suspect you are doing that, you can expect trouble.

If arriving as a tourist on the 30 day visa waiver, they will only allow you to do a border run and re-enter 3 times. After that they will send you away and tell you to apply for a visa before coming back to Thailand.

You might be able to get the Education Visa, though they have been cracking down on people abusing that as well.

The US Embassy this week sent out notices to Americans residing in Thailand about the Immigration crackdown, and also mentioned that if you are denied a visa or re-entry, they cannot help you.

Yes, i will definitely spend a day or more at punspace, and other co-working places, looking forward to it!

Airbnb is usually more expensive on long stays, but probably a good idea to make a reservation there in the beginning, and try to get a better deal later.

I will get a tourist visa in advance, and take 2 trips to other countries during my 6 months. I will happen to be earning some money online, but not working for any organization and also visiting for tourism purposes, so it should be all good. I believe i don't need any further tickets when i arrive on a valid tourist visa, (triple entry, not 30day exemption) but please correct me if i am wrong on this.

Yes, i will definitely spend a day or more at punspace, and other co-working places, looking forward to it!

Airbnb is usually more expensive on long stays, but probably a good idea to make a reservation there in the beginning, and try to get a better deal later.

I will get a tourist visa in advance, and take 2 trips to other countries during my 6 months. I will happen to be earning some money online, but not working for any organization and also visiting for tourism purposes, so it should be all good. I believe i don't need any further tickets when i arrive on a valid tourist visa, (triple entry, not 30day exemption) but please correct me if i am wrong on this.

You used to be able to make a triple entry tourist visa last 9 months although it has been a while since I've had to do this so things may have changed - someone with more recent experience may be able to colorectal me if that is the case

Towards the end of your first 60 days go to the local immigration office and get a 30 day extension (for 90 days in total) - after the 90 days go to another country - on your return you'll get 60 days again

Towards the end of the second 60 days got to immigration and get another 30 day extension

This next bit requires getting the timing right at the end of the second 90 days but before your visa expires leave and re-enter the country to get another 60 days - the wording on the visa such something along the lines of "must enter the country before"

So if you get a triple entry visa on say 1st January then the 3rd entry will need to be made before say 30th June

So if you make your 3rd entry on say 29th June then you don't have to leave until 60 days after the 29th (and again you can extend this by an additional 30 days)

Edit: the cost of the 30 day extension used to be 1,900 THB so may be cheaper than visiting a second country if you only want to stay 6 months instead of 9

The guys (and gals) in the visa forum should be able to provide more up to date information on this

Edited by narkeddiver