Savannakhet Non-Imm O Visa Multiple plus Bus Travel

Have just returned from Savannakhet where I received a Non-Imm O visa multiple.

For those that are unaware, it's now same day service. I left Mo Chit Monday evening and arrived Savan Tuesday morning where I applied for visa at Thai Cons and collected same day at 1530hrs. Many buses to Mukdahan to BKK arriving here at 0600hrs this morning.

Recommended VIP bus which leaves Mo Chit at 2030hrs every day and operated by Sahaphanroied Co.Ltd. 32 seater with plenty of leg room costing only B620. The VIP buses operatated by Transport Co Ltd which cost B899 are aimed at the Farang and are no different to the ones costing B620, just fewer seats.

Documents submitted

1. Khor Ror 2 in lieu of original marriage cert

2. Copies of: Marriage Cert, translation of, proof of finance, my passport, wife's ID card, house book and all signed together with B5,000.

Enjoy.

That is new info about same day service. Thanks for the info.

Has the consulate moved to their new office or are they still close to the river.

Hi ubonjoe.

On Tuesday morning travelling on the Int'l bus (Mukdahan to Savan) we passed the new Thai cons at approx 09.15hrs but alas, no movement outside of the building and no, this is not open as yet. The same old building applies.

Although I submitted proof of funds, original and updated Thai bank book and copy, this was returned to me as much to say, why did you submit this? In other words, proof of finance is definitely not required (as of yesterday).

Cheers

Edited by hathairat2711

Has the consulate moved to their new office or are they still close to the river.

Ubonjoe, i think you are getting slow, because someone mentioned the same day service a couple of weeks back. Another applicant mentioned that it was just temporary, but this could just rumour, so i wouldn't go booking your return bus tickets. Consulate is still by the river as of yesterday. There have been many changes since i went last year, so i will follow with more details.

There have been a number of changes since i went last year:

1) as mentioned already, pick up is on the same day at 3.30pm.

2) if you are planning to take U.S dollars for your laos entry visa, you are probably wasting your time, because they are using the 'old bills' excuse to make you pay in baht, because they make more money.

3) they are no longer using the tannoy to call numbers when pick-up, so make sure you are at the front, because the queue was massive. this could be because locals are now required to get visas/permits.

4) previously at border checkpoints, the locals would fill in forms and crossing with just id cards, but this time everybody seemed to have passports. on the way back at lao immigration, the immigration officer got very irate and banging the desk, and shouting 'visa, visa'. many locals in the queue looked puzzled and getting out 200 baht to give to the officer. i couldn't understand what was going on, but the crackdown seems to be affecting the locals as well as westerners.

I asked one of the consulate staff whether the one day service was permanent or temporary and he confirmed permanent although we will wait and see.

As far as bus travel is concerned, obviously the applicant would only book bus one way travel. Ample time in Mukdahan to book a return.

Two nights on the bus, as in my case or, two nights on the bus and and one night in the sleepy town of Savannakhet, if indeed it changes back to two day visa service.

I asked one of the consulate staff whether the one day service was permanent or temporary and he confirmed permanent although we will wait and see.

As far as bus travel is concerned, obviously the applicant would only book bus one way travel. Ample time in Mukdahan to book a return.

Two nights on the bus, as in my case or, two nights on the bus and and one night in the sleepy town of Savannakhet, if indeed it changes back to two day visa service.

Where is the Sahaphanroied Co.Ltd ticket booth at Mor chit bus station. i couldn't find it, so went with the other company?

2) if you are planning to take U.S dollars for your laos entry visa, you are probably wasting your time, because they are using the 'old bills' excuse to make you pay in baht, because they make more money.

3) they are no longer using the tannoy to call numbers when pick-up, so make sure you are at the front, because the queue was massive. this could be because locals are now required to get visas/permits.

4) previously at border checkpoints, the locals would fill in forms and crossing with just id cards, but this time everybody seemed to have passports. on the way back at lao immigration, the immigration officer got very irate and banging the desk, and shouting 'visa, visa'. many locals in the queue looked puzzled and getting out 200 baht to give to the officer. i couldn't understand what was going on, but the crackdown seems to be affecting the locals as well as westerners.

Ref you paras

1. Confirmed by consular staff although that could change.

2. I paid in dollars whether they were old or new, that I don't know, but were accepted.

3. Correct. Regardless of what ticket number you have, mine was 79, a Canadian guy whom I was talking to was 200+, it was a mad scramble to the visa No 2 window and then to queue to be told, in a single file

4. I travelled on my own and all I had to pay was the Lao visa fee. There was no other fee involved as like previously stated, B40 for the stamp.

Ubonjoe, i think you are getting slow, because someone mentioned the same day service a couple of weeks back. Another applicant mentioned that it was just temporary, but this could just rumour, so i wouldn't go booking your return bus tickets. Consulate is still by the river as of yesterday. There have been many changes since i went last year, so i will follow with more details.

Thanks for the infos.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/737701-visa-report-non-immigrant-o-family-visa-savannakhet/?p=8029448

Where is the Sahaphanroied Co.Ltd ticket booth at Mor chit bus station. i couldn't find it, so went with the other company?

I booked thru Thai Ticket Major for the onward journey but on the return journey I booked at Mukdahan bus terminal situated at the front of the building, the left window.

I booked thru Thai Ticket Major for the onward journey but on the return journey I booked at Mukdahan bus terminal situated at the front of the building, the left window.

Yes, i saw a Thai ticket master booth at mor chit bus station. It could be that you can only book through them, and the bus company does not have it's own booth.

I can vaguely recall that it was mentioned in a post on a ongoing topic but may of discounted as a one off occurrence.

If you were going through as many topics as I have been going through lately you would also have a memory lapse.

Ref you paras

1. Confirmed by consular staff although that could change.

2. I paid in dollars whether they were old or new, that I don't know, but were accepted.

3. Correct. Regardless of what ticket number you have, mine was 79, a Canadian guy whom I was talking to was 200+, it was a mad scramble to the visa No 2 window and then to queue to be told, in a single file

4. I travelled on my own and all I had to pay was the Lao visa fee. There was no other fee involved as like previously stated, B40 for the stamp.

number 4) only applies to local Thais/Laotians. Do not pay the 40 baht - it goes straight into the pocket of the border officer - and you are not required to do so.

Forgot to mention that there was a police checkpoint just prior to Mukdahan, and an officer check everybody's id. I have done over 50 visa/border runs and this is the first time this has happened - thought it was an urban myth. Could just be coincidence that it happened with the new rules on overstay coming into effect, but if your passport is not in good order, i would go to the airport.

Forgot to mention that there was a police checkpoint just prior to Mukdahan, and an officer check everybody's id. I have done over 50 visa/border runs and this is the first time this has happened - thought it was an urban myth. Could just be coincidence that it happened with the new rules on overstay coming into effect, but if your passport is not in good order, i would go to the airport.

Would be interesting to hear about the continuing or sporadic presence of these checkpoints near road borders around the country, for .... reasons.

Would be interesting to hear about the continuing or sporadic presence of these checkpoints near road borders around the country, for .... reasons.

Yes, it would be interesting to know if it is happening at other borders and related to the crackdown. I occasionally hear stories about visa run buses getting stopped, but never any first-hand stories, so thought it was just to scare overstayers. Normally, police checkpoints usually stops cars and motorcycles to get on the spot fines, and check traffic in both directions, so was surprised when they stopped a bus load of people. This time it appeared they were only stopping traffic to Mukdahan, because they had barriers with neon lights on just one side. The officer asked everyone to get ids out, but ignored the people with id cards, and only checked passports.

G'day to you all.

To my personal knowledge that Police "Check Point" has been operative on a permanent basis for over 18 months. I pass through regularly but have only ever had a random Driver's Licence check, never asked for Passport. Seems to be quiet if raining or midday lunch time.

Regards from PEAP

Yes, it would be interesting to know if it is happening at other borders and related to the crackdown. I occasionally hear stories about visa run buses getting stopped, but never any first-hand stories, so thought it was just to scare overstayers. Normally, police checkpoints usually stops cars and motorcycles to get on the spot fines, and check traffic in both directions, so was surprised when they stopped a bus load of people. This time it appeared they were only stopping traffic to Mukdahan, because they had barriers with neon lights on just one side. The officer asked everyone to get ids out, but ignored the people with id cards, and only checked passports.

Been stopped once ona bus on the way to Mukdahan and everyone had to show ID card but no me, no need for Farang.

Going to the border in Surin or Sisaket by car its more normal than not I have been stopped by police or military and asked where I came from and where I am going. Usually stopped both going to the border and returning.

Jeez. Getting busy there nowadays. Ticket no. 200 in a queue? I went there last december, no queue, in and out inc filling forms out in 10 minutes. Next day leisurely pick up, can't have been more than 5 people in front of me. The good old days are gone. <deleted>.

That's very interesting news about the same day service.

What are the chances of picking up the passport and making a 7:45 flight from Ubon, I am going to guess very slim to none?

if you get yourself near to the front of the queue, you should be out by 4.00pm. don't know how long it takes to get to the airport.

Not sure it's new but the Thai customs put all luggages in Xray machine when crossing the border...

They were using the x-ray machines last year, but they seem to be enforcing more this time round

Sad, it was a good place to bring back more expensive wine than necessary <3

• Like 1