A&E fund / co-op for ex pats

mccw

You can't use the BKK Bank policy to cover your deductible; that will start after the bank policy is maxed.

According to www.hcc.com website: Home for a US citizen is always the US, regardless of where you reside. For others, it is where they reside/receive their mail.

Fortunately, I haven't made a claim; I did familiarize myself with the ratings of the company, and checked it's reputation on the internet. And, as I mentioned, I hold a signed letter confirming coverage by the oldest insurance company in the world. Compared to the BKK Bank Policy; I am paying 6 times more per year, but I am getting 1000 times the coverage!

• Like 1

I fail to see why you couldn't use the Bangkok Bank policy to cover the deductible, especially if you pay the charges out-of-pocket and then file with the insurance companies.

Yes, Thighlander your policy definitely does offer more coverage, on paper, but it will be interesting to learn of your experience after you file a claim. We weren't able to keep our U.S. Blue Cross policy if we lived out-of-country for more than six months of the year. The fact that "home" for a U.S. citizen is always the U.S. for the purposes of income tax is irrelevant to insurance companies.

I know at least a dozen people who have claimed on the Bangkok Bank policy, successfully -- although admittedly I don't know anyone who has used it in conjunction with another insurance plan with a high deductible. All the stories I've heard have been for cases where the Bangkok Bank policy was the only policy involved.

Edited by NancyL

I fail to see why you couldn't use the Bangkok Bank policy to cover the deductible, especially if you pay the charges out-of-pocket and then file with the insurance companies.

Yes, Thighlander your policy definitely does offer more coverage, on paper, but it will be interesting to learn of your experience after you file a claim. We weren't able to keep our U.S. Blue Cross policy if we lived out-of-country for more than six months of the year. The fact that "home" for a U.S. citizen is always the U.S. for the purposes of income tax is irrelevant to insurance companies.

I know at least a dozen people who have claimed on the Bangkok Bank policy, successfully -- although admittedly I don't know anyone who has used it in conjunction with another insurance plan with a high deductible. All the stories I've heard have been for cases where the Bangkok Bank policy was the only policy involved.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/HCC:US

market cap: 5 billion

revenue: approximately 3 billion per year

I actually found 24 complaints against them on BadBusinessBureau....19 were resolved to customers satisfaction, BBB determined that HCC had acted in good faith on the other 5. Billions of Dollars in sales and 5 dissatisfied customers? A lot of bars in Chiang Mai have quite a bit more dissatisfaction than that.....

As far as using one policy to pay your deductible, I was going to do the same thing, but I actually called my company at the time and asked them about it...another Lloyds backed company in the US.....that is where I got that piece of information. Spend 9 per month to save 30 per month....nope.

Whi mentioned income taxes? The company made the statement because folks from some countries Canada and Australia for example, have to be in their home countries to insure with HCC. For US Citizens it doesn't matter. I am also covered in the US for every 3 months of coverage for 15 days, however, with a little planning I can buy a US specific short term policy for the specific days that I will be there. A Blue Cross policy for the US, with a 250 deductible would cost me over 500 usd per month....and there would be restrictions on travelling abroad...that's why I never use them.

Edited by Thighlander

I agree with your thoughts MCCW and have searched for cover with a very high deductible (say US$20k -or more) without success.

I am happy to self insure to a reasonably high level but would like (non--accident cover) for stuff like heart transplants, really costly cancer treatments and other critical illnesses, but that doesnt seem an attractive area to insurers.

Odd really, because the high deductible takes them out of semi-fictitious claims (whiplash etc) and admin costs, associated with smaller stuff.

Maybe there is just not enough demand to give them the numbers to generate a decent aggregate pool to cover claims- and profit!

USD 20,000 I don't know (and haven't looked), but William Russell offers an excess of up to USD 10,000. This halves the cost of the insurance itself if I remember correctly.

I have accident insurance with Bangkok Bank. Each year the cost is around 3,500 baht. 100,000 baht maximum claim per accident. 1,000,000 baht if death by accident.

2 years ago a 10 year old girl decided to do a U turn in front of me. I ended up with 2 cracked bones in my arm. Went to Bangkok International Hospital and my insurance paid all costs and back up treatments too.

Interesting. Were you on a motorbike? as Dave2 found they refused to pay-see post before yours.

re

Interesting. Were you on a motorbike? as Dave2 found they refused to pay

wooa up there ... i didnt say that !

as nancy L says ... i actually read the small print after talking to her and any accident i had while i was on my motorbike weather my fault or theirs ( and that was the whole point of the policy for me )

didnt cover me for anything but ive never had an accident here so ive never claimed

therefore bangkok bank have never refused to pay anything !

someones told me this company will insure me for motorbike accidents but its had to wait till i freed up my 800 odd thousand for the new one year visa that i got a

week ago

so hopefully ill be trying to sort this out soon :)

dave2

pic ... doi suthep 15 mins ago !

post-42592-0-90359900-1404994020_thumb.j

post-42592-0-51538500-1404994052_thumb.j

Bangkok Bank do an accident insurance around 2-4k a year depending on cover. Over 60s accepted, you get a card to keep with you to show the hospital. Go into any branch they will be delighted to sell you cover.

When you say over 60's accepted what is the cap .......70 ?

Up to 100 years old (senior plan)

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/BuildYourWealth/Bancassurance/NonLifeInsurance/Pages/PA1st.aspx

People would do well to look at this clause. Insurance companies have a proven track record of digging deeply and finding a way (however tenuous) of linking the smallest things to a claim, rendering it invalid.

• The insured person must have a good health record and not be disabled, already injured or have a serious sickness or chronic disease at the time of the application.

re

as nancy L says ... i actually read the small print after talking to her and any accident i had while i was on my motorbike weather my fault or theirs ( and that was the whole point of the policy for me )

didnt cover me for anything but ive never had an accident here so ive never claimed

someones told me this company will insure me for motorbike accidents but its had to wait till i freed up my 800 odd thousand for the new one year visa that i got a

week ago

so hopefully ill be trying to sort this out soon smile.png

dave2

Sorry Dave! When I read your comment about a certain well known lady, and you then said ' and she was rtight' I wrongly assumed you tried to claim- but I guess you just read the small print! My mistake.

I've know people who need to use a cane to walk and seem rather frail who have been able to obtain this Bangkok Bank policy and have later been able to file claims without any questions being asked. They understand the risk they're taking in writing a policy that covers up to age 100.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

re

week ago

so hopefully ill be trying to sort this out soon smile.png

dave2

Sounds very interesting for frequent motorbike taxi passengers, depending on the costs. One assumes they cover the other more usual risks as well...

Do you have a link for that company?:)