Adopting a new born.

kevc

We're going to adopt a new born Thai baby, we've lived here for ten years my wife is Thai with UK citizenship. Has anyone gone through the procedure that can give us some pointers. We've heard that it's easier to go for a Thai adoption will there be any problems adding me as the adoptive father being a foreigner. In the future we would like to go for an international adoption so as too be able to get the baby a UK passport.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Start right away with the international adoption, as it will take time and they might require you go through an international adoption straight away to give the child the benefit of also having a British passport.

Thanks for replying, we were thinking about that too but thought we'd go with the easier Thai version first and get settled down as we've no plans to go back to the UK just yet but worth considering

Thanks for replying, we were thinking about that too but thought we'd go with the easier Thai version first and get settled down as we've no plans to go back to the UK just yet but worth considering

I would strongly recommend you reconsider that plan before deciding to go ahead. There is no capability to "start" with a Thai adoption and then move to an international one later. In fact, human trafficking laws are specifically written to prevent you from doing this. If you ever want an international adoption, you may need to go this route from the beginning. The only way to get an international adoption later will likely require getting the Thai adoption anulled first, because it was not done according to international rules. You will then be in a position where you have spent a substantial amount of time living with the child you are trying to adopt. Fine if you are married to a child's biological parent, but a serious human trafficking violation otherwise. You may find yourself disqualified from ever adopting the child. Sound ridiculous? Do some research. The laws were constructed to protect children from being sold to families who would later adopt them after bonds had formed. Agencies look very poorly on this type of arrangement.

I think you should give serious consideration to doing the international adoption now if you think you might ever want to move to the UK. Thai domestic adoptions are only practical for people who will live in Thailand until the child matures. If this isn't you, then just accept the bureaucracy and do it the right way.