Between APIS and NIS for a 4 year old which would you pick?

bvn346

We're moving here from California in November and we have been told there are spaces at American Pacific International and NIS for our son. We will find a place to live close to the school. How are the schools different from each other in their reputation? As far as neighborhoods, how different is the north from the south? One school is in San Sai, the other in Hang Dong. Thanks so much for your feedback. I've found this forum to be an invaluable resource in planning our move.

What are your long term plans for your child's education? Here in CM for a long term? If not, a year at either school at that age would probably be about the same. APIS may have an edge but it will depend mostly on the teacher your child ends up with. Neighborhood options are similar. Consider the Montessori School south of town if they are not full. If you are not paying the tuition, consider Prem.

NIS because it's much nearer the centre of town, on the 2nd ring-road to the North, whereas APIS is quite remote up in the mountains on the Southern route to Samoeng, which is why they have lots of boarders.

Presumably you've also considered Grace & CMIS, both American system, although I'm not sure how important that is for a 4-year-old ?

Oh, and Welcome to Chiang Mai ! thumbsup.gif

NIS because it's much nearer the centre of town, on the 2nd ring-road to the North, whereas APIS is quite remote up in the mountains on the Southern route to Samoeng, which is why they have lots of boarders.

Presumably you've also considered Grace & CMIS, both American system, although I'm not sure how important that is for a 4-year-old ?

Oh, and Welcome to Chiang Mai ! thumbsup.gif

This is not true. APIS Kindegarten is close to city area also. Up in the mountain is Elementary, Middle and High School Campus. Also APIS have new building for elementary school close to the city area from coming new school year.

When I considered the same myself about three years ago, I was put off by the attitude of the NIS two senior NIS adminstrative staff I talked with (including one who was the headmaster if I recall correctly, an obese woman with an unattractively strong "my way or the high-way" attitude). Seeing how rigid and inflexible they were concerning the first two-three try-out days we had in mind, I could only imagine things to get worse after we had enrolled and paid our dues.

APIS kindergarten department on the other hand were a pleasure to deal with, both before and after enrolment. The teacher at the time was also great.

• Like 1

PlanetX - love the idea of picking based on the neighborhood - which do you think is nicer, north or south? I've been told the north is more scenic and also easier to find rentals. We like the idea of being outside of town, maybe a community with a pool, etc.