Block Stolen Mobile By Imei Number?

stub

Can anyone confirm or deny if it is possible to block a handset from accessing the local mobile networks using the phone's IMEI number?

I know this service is offered in some countries for the last several years to stop people being able to use stolen mobile handsets, but the AIS call cantre didn't know what I was talking about. I'm unsure if it can't be done here yet or if I just wasn't clear explaining myself.

DTAC will also help.

They will also issue you a new SIM card, with the same number and credit,

whilst blocking the old card. So there is no need to change number or lose money.

Yes & try to go to an AIS main center/office to do it.

AIS told me to go to Telewiz to get a new SIM card made with my old number. SIM card is fine, but the staff looked confused when I tried to give them the IMEI number as well and after I explained that I wanted to get the handset barred so it could not be used I was told that it could not be done (again :-( )

If anyone has had success doing this, can you tell me the address to go to?

Yes & try to go to an AIS main center/office to do it.

AIS told me to go to Telewiz to get a new SIM card made with my old number. SIM card is fine, but the staff looked confused when I tried to give them the IMEI number as well and after I explained that I wanted to get the handset barred so it could not be used I was told that it could not be done (again :-( )

If anyone has had success doing this, can you tell me the address to go to?

At this point I wouldn't bother. Even if you somehow convince AIS/One-2-Call to block the IMEI of your lost phone it really won't have much of an impact. The phone could be used on other networks (DTAC/TrueMove/Hutch), and/or the IMEI could be hacked. Or they'll get the IMEI number wrong and block somebody else's phone. :o

I think some countries have made it a requirement that all operators block reported lost/stolen phone IMEI's? Maybe Autralia?

At this point I wouldn't bother. Even if you somehow convince AIS/One-2-Call to block the IMEI of your lost phone it really won't have much of an impact. The phone could be used on other networks (DTAC/TrueMove/Hutch), and/or the IMEI could be hacked. Or they'll get the IMEI number wrong and block somebody else's phone. :D

I think some countries have made it a requirement that all operators block reported lost/stolen phone IMEI's? Maybe Autralia?

If it is done properly, the blacklisted IMEI numbers are shared between the local providers or even globally if they use a central registry. eg. the one England uses is talked about at here. IMEI numbers can be changed on some models of phones, but not all. The more recent your phone model is, the less likely it can be changed.

I'm suspecting in Thailand you are correct and there is no shareing between providers even if you can get one of them to blacklist a handset. If it was available it would be better known :o In countries where the providers sell handsets they profit from phone theft so I can understand them dragging their feet. I guess here the providers just don't care, which is a real shame given how expensive phones are to the average Thai and the market in second hand phones being large enough that they are an ideal target for thieves.

I'll try going to the AIS main office when I get a chance and see what happens.

At this point I wouldn't bother. Even if you somehow convince AIS/One-2-Call to block the IMEI of your lost phone it really won't have much of an impact. The phone could be used on other networks (DTAC/TrueMove/Hutch), and/or the IMEI could be hacked. Or they'll get the IMEI number wrong and block somebody else's phone. :D

France does.

If it is done properly, the blacklisted IMEI numbers are shared between the local providers or even globally if they use a central registry. eg. the one England uses is talked about at here. IMEI numbers can be changed on some models of phones, but not all. The more recent your phone model is, the less likely it can be changed.

I'm suspecting in Thailand you are correct and there is no shareing between providers even if you can get one of them to blacklist a handset. If it was available it would be better known :D

I'm almost sure there isn't. Hey, that would force too many phone shops in MBK and elsewhere out of business :o

In countries where the providers sell handsets they profit from phone theft so I can understand them dragging their feet. I guess here the providers just don't care, which is a real shame given how expensive phones are to the average Thai and the market in second hand phones being large enough that they are an ideal target for thieves.

Amen to this...

I'll try going to the AIS main office when I get a chance and see what happens.

Good luck. Your patience is going to be exercised a lot...

--Lannig

When an IMEI is blacklisted the same mobile shops that will remove everyones sim lock that people find so convienient to scam the telco providers will usually also replace / reflash a new IMEI..

Back in the old days when Thailand used to charge large import duties a phone would only work with a specific Thai IMEI and you would need to have it flashed when you arrived to get a Thai sim to work in the phone even if the Sim was not network locked.