Buying online from USA Europe - Tax question

CNXBKKMAN

I am in the early stages of putting a bike together hopefully buying all the bits and bobs domestically within Thailand. I am looking for Schwalbe Big Apple 29 x 2.3 tyres which I can't find here and some 29 rims with a 25mm or more width to support these fat tyres( if anyone knows where I may get these locally great).

If I just go ahead and order these from Jenson or whatever. What is the deal when they arrive to me Chiang Mai? Google says 40 % import tax! Has anyone got a friend to buy stuff from back home and post it over as a gift? Does that work? Any advice appreciated.

I would begin by contacting the Schwalbe distributor here in Thailand to see what tires are available:

Cycle Sport Co.

Bangkok

Tel: 0262172235

EM: [email protected]

Web: www.cyclesport-th.com

I can tell you from personal experience that they are not importing the entire Schwalbe line. I am a touring cyclist and I have to order my Schwalbe Marathon Mondial tires from outside the country. In the past it was hit or miss with customs. However, it appears that customs is tightening up and they have hit me for tax on every package coming into the country. I believe the import duty ranges from 30-40% and that's computeed after VAT is applied. Bicycle Thailand is a great english language site which lists bike shops throughout the country. I would take a look there to see if you can locate a shop which may carry the rims you're looking for. A Thai cycling friend is riding a Merida with 29" rims so I'm sure they're available here.

You can also check with a bike shop here in Udon Thani mto see if they can get the rims you want. The owner (Peter) is a long time cyclist who speaks English very well. tel: 0867709991 and is very helpful. He may be able to order the rims for you or point you in the right direction. Feel free to use my name as Peter knows me veryt well.

BTW: sending the parts through the mail marked as a gift will probably also be taxed at the same rate.

I hope this helps

Mike

Edited by fdimike

For sure. The 29er is just coming into the market around these parts. I'm riding 26in wheels simply because finding a replacement tire out in the boonies is easy in comparison to a 700c etc. You can pretty much locate a 26in tire anyplace in SEA should you have a tire problem. Here's an MTB forum which may be of help to you. Unfortunately, it's in Thai but Google translate can help out. http://www.thaimtb.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=90 Lots of things for sale on this site. However, with the large number of bike shops up your way one of them must be able to source a 29er wheel and tire for you.

Edited by fdimike
  • Like 1

Yes there are quite a lot of decent bike shops in Chiang Mai all not too far from each other. I have a Surly Ogre frame coming up from BKK next week. Basically need everything but a seat which I have already have.

Please note that 40 % duty doesn't mean that you pay 40 %. You will pay much more.

First they use a different exchange rate.

Second the 40 % are from the bike AND the shipping costs.

Third the VAT is calculated from the bike+shipping costs+duty (yes you pay VAT on the duty).

And you may or may not need a clearance agent who cost you.

• Like 1

CNX

I assume you bought the bike from Piriya (distributor) in BKK. Did you happen to check with them to see if they have the wheels & tires that you want? I just looked at their website and they seem to carry quite a lot of products. I also bought my Surly LHT frame from them and fitted it out here in Udon Thani.

h90

I don't think he's talking about an entire bike. He's talking about wheels/tires for the bike. He would not need a clearance agent as it would be coming by post as best I can understand.

Piriya were out of stock on the Ogre until March 2015. I phoned around and possibly got the last 18 inch ogre frame set in thailand from XP-bikes in BKK. They had 29 rims but 19mm mavic 719's. I may end up with 19 mm width when I have fully checked out the wider rim availability.

Thanks H90 for the warning on how the tax is calculated. Import tax on shipping and vat is just mental, it just doesn't seem rational.