Impressed by Chiang Mai

jongunnar

the glory days of c/mai was pre 2006

since around then, the farung hustlers invasion arrived , plus the building explosion, and has taken it apart

the air/ noise polloution , over a year time frame, is very disturbing, and continuing to get worse, as each year rolls by

the traffic conditions , are seriously becoming horrendous, gridlocked at vital intersections at peaktime,whilst nimmihedin area is a real no go zone for the car driver 24/7

perhaps this sounds a bit of bitch, but the above are cold hard facts

cannot stop progress,and one has to adjust, as i have done

but c/mai pre 2006,was a retirees/ visitors dream , now???..J.M.O.

and a very nice morning to allbiggrin.png

So why dont you go somewhere where you might have something positive to say about the place- CM is not a prison and the airport is easy to find

He's just being honest. You can try and sugar coat it all you like, it is what it is.

• Like 1

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loi Kroh, but some may like the girlie bar stuff as well. Seemed most of that was empty....but the night bazaar is kicking.

took a while to figure what you were on about then it dawned on me, he is referring to the grannie retirement area

Edited by clearly depharted

Please stop saying nice things about Chiang Mai, you'll attract all the riff raff.

Too late, I'm on my way!!!

I'm going through the culling process right now, preparing to pack a container headed for CM...

Welcome. You won't regret it.smile.png

since around then, the farung hustlers invasion arrived , plus the building explosion, and has taken it apart

the air/ noise polloution , over a year time frame, is very disturbing, and continuing to get worse, as each year rolls by

the traffic conditions , are seriously becoming horrendous, gridlocked at vital intersections at peaktime,whilst nimmihedin area is a real no go zone for the car driver 24/7

So why dont you go somewhere where you might have something positive to say about the place- CM is not a prison and the airport is easy to find

He's just being honest. You can try and sugar coat it all you like, it is what it is.

I have to agree with beau thai on this one. Why would any one choose to move to a foreign country and pick a city with all those things in it that they find wrong. There are lots of cities with out those problems. I have no problem with those things I just adjust to them. In fact the noise level where I live is declining. Have yet to run into a farong hustler then again I don't hang around the bar's. On the other hand there are probably a lot of them on line that you would never know about until you tried to deal with them.

• Like 1

I have to agree with beau thai on this one. Why would any one choose to move to a foreign country and pick a city with all those things in it that they find wrong. There are lots of cities with out those problems. I have no problem with those things I just adjust to them. In fact the noise level where I live is declining. Have yet to run into a farong hustler then again I don't hang around the bar's. On the other hand there are probably a lot of them on line that you would never know about until you tried to deal with them.

Lets all celebrate the worsening traffic and worsening air pollution (from March to May).

Since how is stating the truth being negative?

He's still here and has "adjusted", as I have to with a large family here. Not that easy to just pack up and move on.

Unless of course you are just a single tourist.

• Like 1

Oops gave a like when I meant to hit the quote button........never mind. biggrin.png

• Like 1

True, "There are lots of cities with out those problems." but they have their own set of problems - usually worse. So, while I am not in denial about CM's shortcomings, I choose to stay.

And the noise level is not declining, your hearing is. giggle.gif

• Like 1

I have to agree with beau thai on this one. Why would any one choose to move to a foreign country and pick a city with all those things in it that they find wrong. There are lots of cities with out those problems. I have no problem with those things I just adjust to them. In fact the noise level where I live is declining. Have yet to run into a farong hustler then again I don't hang around the bar's.

i happily except your views, but you are totally wrong

i will post line 6 of my post, which is as follows

*cannot stop progress, and one has to adjust, AS I HAVE DONE* i have accepted all the points, that i have posted and moved on accordingly, so why berate me, n/jsad.png

u do not hang around bars, ,therefore no interference from a farung hustler, yes perhaps this could be true

but

i have noticed from your posts, that u visit the ???? club where a farung hustler stitched up many innocent farungs, for a very big loot too

the farung hustler these days in c/mai , are on every street corner , not just bars, take off your rose tinted glasses, might be a nice idea

a very good morning to allsmile.png

• Like 1

Chiang Mai people are really nice and accommodating, but now we have the Thailand problem of Chinese.

Maybe another topic covered else where, but it is a problem and so much so the Chinese ambassador was recently summoned before the powers that be for a chin wag about their behaviour.

Other than that and the air quality in March, come here enjoy the people and the culture, relax and let time pass you by.

I love Chiang Mai.

Kevin

• Like 1

The hustlers are usually found in respectable expat places.

CM expats club (rumor is Nancy has cleared them out now), British Legion, business networking meetings, coffee mornings.

They can also be found selling property and insurance from quite respectable looking offices.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

Many comments regarding Air Quality, living South of C-Mai we do not suffer from that problem.

even during smoky season ?

I live in Chiangmai for more than 10 years, every February and March I work (outside, no in a office with air-con) and go to run and/or play football afterwork as usual, no any problems at all.... :-))

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

so true..

only a couple weeks ago , on this forum, and a thread which i was contributing to . a long serving c/mai member touted his services of being a broker (so to speak) on condo deals, the mods immediately removed the post, and deserve full praise for their prompt actions as it had all the hallmarks of a farung hustler at work,..take a bow modsclap2.gif moderating at its bestsmile.png

This thing often mentioned about air quality around March ,is grossly exaggerated .The only way it affects me is that i can not see the Mountains from Sansai .The air i breath has no noticable difference to me .

right, northernjohn is in the dark. there are farang con artists on every corner. one would have to be terribly naive to think they are not there. and yes, many operate from respectable locations. they sell insurance, 'investments', real estate, pallets of anything you can imagine, etc., etc., etc.; none of which they are licensed to sell. some are middle men or "agents" in on a commission. i was approached by one such type while waiting at Don Muang airport not too long ago. he handed me his card. i took a quick glance before folding it up and tossing it in the bin. nicely laid out business card, but no address, email, land-line, - only a mobile number.

the mainland Chinese tourists are becoming a huge problem. something has to be done to educate them before they visit the Kingdom.

i find it hard to believe that some people are not affected in any way by the pollution in March and April. i always get many respiratory infections during this time of year, my eyes water, etc. and i'm not one who is sensitive, allergic, or gets sick often. but i've sorted that one out - i just go South during that time of year.

For the 3-4 weeks out of 52 that the air pollution index is high, I can put up with wearing a N95 mask for the few hours a day that I want to go walking around. I don't find any need to go dashing off to the south or leaving the country because of it. Frankly, I only wear the mask because the index 'reads' so high, not because I feel any discomfort from the air itself, just as a precaution. There are probably a whole lot more pollutants that we come in contact with every day that we pay no attention to simply because we don't see them.

• Like 2

right, northernjohn is in the dark. there are farang con artists on every corner. one would have to be terribly naive to think they are not there. and yes, many operate from respectable locations. they sell insurance, 'investments', real estate, pallets of anything you can imagine, etc., etc., etc.; none of which they are licensed to sell. some are middle men or "agents" in on a commission. i was approached by one such type while waiting at Don Muang airport not too long ago. he handed me his card. i took a quick glance before folding it up and tossing it in the bin. nicely laid out business card, but no address, email, land-line, - only a mobile number.

the mainland Chinese tourists are becoming a huge problem. something has to be done to educate them before they visit the Kingdom.

i find it hard to believe that some people are not affected in any way by the pollution in March and April. i always get many respiratory infections during this time of year, my eyes water, etc. and i'm not one who is sensitive, allergic, or gets sick often. but i've sorted that one out - i just go South during that time of year.

Just trying to help.....

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/paranoia/

That was me I assume you refer to. I offered to negotiate a discount between buyer and developer. I never would have touched the buyers money but made a little % off the developers as an introduction fee.

I will be clear for mods I am not offering such a service on this thread. Because as pointed out last time to me by the TV staff- I should become an advertiser if I would like to offer such services. The post was removed for breaching the advertising rules- not for any dishonesty or "hustling".

Evens; you are really a very negative individual. Have you tried meditation? It can really help ease the effects on the mental and nervous system of all these external phenomena you find so difficult.

so true..

only a couple weeks ago , on this forum, and a thread which i was contributing to . a long serving c/mai member touted his services of being a broker (so to speak) on condo deals, the mods immediately removed the post, and deserve full praise for their prompt actions as it had all the hallmarks of a farung hustler at work,..take a bow modsclap2.gif moderating at its bestsmile.png

That was me I assume you refer to. I offered to negotiate a discount between buyer and developer. I never would have touched the buyers money but made a little % off the developers as an introduction fee.

Evens; you are really a very negative individual. Have you tried meditation? It can really help ease the effects on the mental and nervous system of all these external phenomena you find so difficult.

so true..

as for being negative, etc etc etc bit

no not at all, just one step in front of farungs,who use forums etc etc to push their wares with posts in contrary to forum rules, and completely off topic

why not do a paid spiel in a local c/mai magazine offering your services , or here on t/v for that matter, sure u will get the wide berth, but try it, i maybe wrong

do you have a companyetc etc ????or just a freelance farung etching out a living here in c/mai

anyway best of luck in the brokering business

• Like 1

so true..

as for being negative, etc etc etc bit

no not at all, just one step in front of farungs,who use forums etc etc to push their wares with posts in contrary to forum rules, and completely off topic

why not do a paid spiel in a local c/mai magazine offering your services , or here on t/v for that matter, sure u will get the wide berth, but try it, i maybe wrong

do you have a companyetc etc ????or just a freelance farung etching out a living here in c/mai

anyway best of luck in the brokering business

or become a sponsor, then you can post what you like !

For the 3-4 weeks out of 52 that the air pollution index is high, I can put up with wearing a N95 mask for the few hours a day that I want to go walking around. I don't find any need to go dashing off to the south or leaving the country because of it. Frankly, I only wear the mask because the index 'reads' so high, not because I feel any discomfort from the air itself, just as a precaution. There are probably a whole lot more pollutants that we come in contact with every day that we pay no attention to simply because we don't see them.

I have never smoked cigarettes in my life but you will get heavy smokers complaining about the air quality lol.

As for being forced to leave C.M.during March its just laughable .They are probably old codgers who are on their last breath anyway .

• Like 2

That would be because it's against the law.

Property and financial services are restricted to Thai nationals.

(although some wriggle around as "office managers", once they talk to customers about sales/purchases they are breaking the law)

If you find any foreigner earning commission off property sales/rentals, financial/insurance product sales please report them to immigration.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

(although some wriggle around as "office managers", once they talk to customers about sales/purchases they are breaking the law)

If you find any foreigner earning commission off property sales/rentals, financial/insurance product sales please report them to immigration.

AOA

I find that hard to believe, i would like some clarification on this by some other TV people.

I was a restaurant manager with a work permit, but i could not go behind the bar and serve beers, i was however supposed to chat with customers regarding service and any complaints as i was the only English speaking person employed.

So i find it hard to understand why property & financial services would be any different to be honest.

Just my point of view.

AOA

I find that hard to believe, i would like some clarification on this by some other TV people.

I was a restaurant manager with a work permit, but i could not go behind the bar and serve beers, i was however supposed to chat with customers regarding service and any complaints as i was the only English speaking person employed.

So i find it hard to understand why property & financial services would be any different to be honest.

Just my point of view.

No, it's exactly as you said.

They can manage, but they can't sell or serve, same as you.

That's why I specified talking about sales/purchases and earning commissions.

Talking of being completely off topic........

By the way, putting stupid smileys in your posts doesn't hide the fact that you are a negative cynic just looking for something to complain about. Presumably the evenstevens moniker refers to the fact that you have a balanced personality......... A chip on both shoulders.

thanks for your very candid viewsbiggrin.png are you a comedian??laugh.png

get used to the smileyssmile.pngbiggrin.png as i plan to stick aroundsmile.pngbiggrin.png

Edited by evenstevens