HIV re-emerges in 'cured' US girl

webfact

HIV re-emerges in 'cured' Mississippi girl

(BBC) A baby girl in the US born with HIV and believed cured after very early treatment has now been found to still harbour the virus.

Tests last week on the four-year-old child from Mississippi indicate she is no longer in remission, say doctors.

She had appeared free of HIV as recently as March, without receiving treatment for nearly two years.

The news represents a setback for hopes that very early treatment of drugs may reverse permanent infection.

Dr Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told US media the new results were "obviously disappointing" and had possible implications on an upcoming federal HIV study.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-28257768

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-07-11

I would suggest that the virus became dormant after the initial treatment, until some attack on the immune system triggered off a re-emergence. I only hope that it can be subdued with further ARVs being administered. The great problem with this virus (so I was informed by an HIV doctor in Chiang Mai), is that it is 'lazy' and replicates itself imperfectly. So combative drugs are fighting against newly-formed different strains - that's why finding a 'cure' with drugs is a soulless task. Hence, a cocktail of ARVs is the latest solution.

And before I get any wise-ass feedback, I admit my understanding of HIV is scant, to say the least - and I would welcome professional enlightenment to support or dismiss my post as being factual or not. Why did I post at all? Because my visit to the HIV hospital, and meeting the patients, many of whom were (happy) youngsters who were born with HIV, humbled me.

As it transpired, one patient, a young girl, although being HIV positive for several years, hadn't needed to take any drugs because her immune system had resisted the virus - and gave the hospital a new direction to pursue why.

• Like 1

many teens now mature and have been taking medication since they were babies ,heres hoping for them ,a good thing thaksin introduced the cheap medication at 30 bahts otherwise they would not have been able to afford HAART