Is Brazil 2014 the best World Cup ever?

Jonathan Fairfield

Is Brazil 2014 the best World Cup ever?

000_DV1761978.jpg

pic:afp

Admittedly I've kinda knicked this one from the BBC but what do you reckon?

Is Brazil 14 the best world cup ever?

There have been some truly remarkable moments in this world cup:

- Spain's reign at the top well and truly ended by Holland

- Goals galore

- Costa Rica getting further than England and Italy

- Absolute pearlers from the likes of Cahill, Rodriguez, RVP, David Luiz, Messi

- Germany's 7-1 demolition of Brazil

- Suarez taking his love of Italian food a little too far

- Not to mention hotties a plenty.

What do you think? Is Brazil 2014 up there with the best tournaments of all time?

Share your thoughts and tell us what is you favourite/most memorable World Cup and why below:

As an American it is. I'm happy to see the fans turn out in big and boisterous numbers, perhaps showing a new interest in WC football.

It was also fun to watch the USA team hold Germany to just a 0 - 1 win, making me wonder...

I've really enjoyed it all. Best? There have been some long standing records broken by scorers and defenders and some individual play was amazing.

I don't know if it's best but it's been great.

• Like 1

A couple of you guys have said Mexico 1970 was the best. That was well before my time but I'd love to know why you think that was the best? What makes that tournament still stand out more than forty years later?

For me France 98 was very memorable. Michael Owen scored THAT goal, which is probably the only time I've been genuinely excited as an England fan.

The best were 70 and 82.

I would say that this has been the best since then but all great World Cups need a great final. Here's hoping!

Agree wholeheartedly with 1970.

For the 1982 WC, we we involved in a little skirmish in the Falkland Islands and could only listen to the odd game on military radio. Fortunateyl none of us were Court Martialled for that paticular indiscression.

• Like 1

A couple of you guys have said Mexico 1970 was the best. That was well before my time but I'd love to know why you think that was the best? What makes that tournament still stand out more than forty years later?

For me France 98 was very memorable. Michael Owen scored THAT goal, which is probably the only time I've been genuinely excited as an England fan.

As a teenager, I sat glued to the box for the 1970 World Cup. The football skills, individual and team on display from the Brazilians were like nothing I had ever seen, before or since. I don't think anyone had ever seen anyone bend a ball around a wall the way Rivellino did and footballs were a lot more basic back then.

I'm sure you can find something on You tube. The semi final and as I recall the final, were magnificent displays of the way the game should be played. As a result, by comparison, the 1974 WC, apart from Cruyff's 'new' skilss, was like watching paint dry.

• Like 1

Best that I've seen. I didn't watch all games but of those I did, only one or two were boring. Happy I did not watch NED-ARG live, that was just terrible... especially for a semi-final.

And Germany's 7-1 against Brazil which could easily have been a 9-0, was honestly the most astounding match I've ever seen. So unexpected, couldn't believe it as I was seeing it, I had to pinch myself after 30 minutes. In hindsight it was a huge upset but as the drama unfolded it was more like aliens just landed on earth..

I did not see 1970 but back then the game was just so much slower, can't really be compared.

• Like 1