Numbers Of Farung Living In Chaigmai?

Mark L.

I have met 3 .....but there must be others....although one was Yank trying to extend his visa at Immigration so he was prob a tourist and that dosnt count...O yet also the guy who owns the Red Lion so that makes...4........er...3.......

Immigration stats are not likell to be much use as plenty of people do the 30 day 'torist' run.

I generally work on about 10,000 farang and a whole lot more Japanese when quoting figures.

Of course there are both border runners, overstayers and tourist visa people, but at least the 90 day reporting figures from Immigration would provide a starting figure. The officers at Immigration might have their own reasonable estimates of the other groups as well.

What do you base 10.000 on?

On an avarage I see about 50 longtime known farlang faces on my daily event horizon. That horizon covers estimated 0.1% of the area of greater Chiang Mai. However, the strip along the center of the Eastern moat (also known as the Thapae Gate area) and the major parts of the central guesthouse area (with cheap, monthly rates) are both within my daily event horizon. Adjusting statistics to this circumstance, I'd give those areas a weight of about 3 - 5 times the average of greater Chiang Mai ... thus there'll be about 10,000 - 30,000 longterm farlangs residing in greater Chiang Mai.

Just kidding.

I generally work on about 10,000 farang and a whole lot more Japanese when quoting figures.

Only 1,543 Japanese nationals registered as long term resident of CM as of 2005 according to the Japanese embassy/consulate website. Based on that, 30,000 for farangs sounds to me llike a bit of an overestimated figure even if you combine all of farangs from western europe, north america and ANZ.

I guess, it'd make a difference to have a definition of what kind of people we're talking about. What excactly constitutes a "long term resident of CM"? My personal aquiantances include two japaneese family "units" and 18-20 "resident" farlangs (single or with TG or with TW, with or without offspring). The japaneese families have been here for ages. The farlangs - well they might have been here for several years, but certainly not for ages.

I remember about 3 years ago, before actually settling in Chiang May, I read an article quoting some guy recently appointed to some big chair at Chiang May immigration, who said there were about 20,000 farlangs (or was it foreigners?) residing in Chiang May. (Sorry, can't tell source, I merely read whatever CM-info I could get hold on in those guesthouses, I stayed at).

10,000 is a figure I have often heard in conversations with other Westerners, but it is I will admit nothing more than an educated guess. I discussed this with a Thai bank manager the other day and he readily accepted the number.

As for the Japanese number I have a Thai friend who speaks Japanese and is lacts as a liason for the Chiang mai police. He told me that there are many more Japanese than westerners in Chiang Mi province. many retire on a six months on,six month off basis.

There are literally thousands of Japanese living and/or retired in Chiangmai, but you can only expect to see a few of them. They keep very much to themselves, and have their own local communities.

There is one moo bahn in particular, just off the Superhighway south of the city, that is home to some seven to eight hundred Japanese at any given time. They work in Lamphun, and are ferried to work by company busses every day. The children even have their own school.

There are many Japanese enclaves such as this, but you'll never see them unless you stumble across them or know of their location.

Does any part of Thailand contain statistics, especially census data? We've probably had threads such as "How many Thai people live in Chiang Mai" and couldn't agree within 10%.

The American consulate general always has a shindig on the 4th of July (one of the only days on the calendar we refer to as "the # of month" day), and hundreds attend that, and surely that's only a fraction. Surely the UK citizens outnumber los Americanos=estadounidenses; we could argue about that. And where are there more Scandanavians - Hua Hin, or Chiang Mai?

Mai kojai. Thousands, between 1,980 and 19,546, give or take 823.

In one week...please add ONE to the unofficial Chiang Mai non-tourist farang count, 10001.

_ihop

Duly noted ihop. Are you coming to the pissup on Friday 7th?

Thanks for the invite! Would love to have a round but my wife is expecting. Plus, she's been w/o a drink for over eight months...wouldn't be fair. :o

Hmmmm...we aren't counting newborns born in Thailand with dual-citizenship are we? If so, 10002.

_ihop

> In one week...please add ONE to the unofficial Chiang Mai non-tourist farang count

You're having a baby? :o

----

> How many Thai people live in Chiang Mai" and couldn't agree within 10%

Ha, I don't think we can even get within 50%. There are just NO RECORDS for people migrating between provinces, or in and out of towns. The record ONLY gets made/updated when someone is added or removed from a house registration document, which usually involves either 'buying land and building a house' or 'being born'.

Anyone who moves to Chiang Mai town from any other district or province is just not recorded.

Probably, the best way to gouge the relative size of cities is to count the number of Tesco's, Tops', Carrefours and all.. You'd think they do pretty serious research before plonking in another superstore.

But an exact number of people living in Chiang Mai.... Nobody knows, not even the local municipality or the provincial government.

Someone from the US embassy told me that 18,000 people registered to vote in the last US presidential election at the CM consulate...obviously many were missionaries from border areas and tourists, but still, pretty steep numbers. The editor of Chao newspaper (Japanese local paper) told me that around 2000 Japanese were registered with a further 2000 living here...then you count the -what I call - seasonal-expats (people who come here to live for 3-8 months a year), and they number in the thousands without being registered as living here. The German and UK consulate apparently only have between 3-400 registered expats, but then, are you registered? I doubt many who live here actually are. I have heard estimates ranging from 10,000-100,000 expats living in the north of Thailand. While both ends of the scale are extreme, I do think that we could narrow it down to between 25,000-50,000. But what do I know. I run a magazine catering to the expats here but any number I come up with is still a guesstimate. Interesting question though, I have always wanted to know.