Low-income earners unable to make ends meet on 300 baht minimum wage

webfact

of course the likes of Suthep and co want to keep them on 300 bahts so he can laugh all the way to the bank by utilising cheap labour

The plan is working you do as well have to convince the serfs they are happy and that is being done as well - great result for the entrenched wealth of Thailand. They haven't got to where they are today without being smart,ruthless and greedy. 3 things that most Somchai's are lacking.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as the minimum wage was increased to 300 Bht / day, the inflation in this country really took off.

All the food vendors wanted their piece of the 300 that the person earned, the school fees rocketed in many cases by as much as 30% Etc Etc Etc., along with all the other greed factors coming into play from the Thai Business Community

Shame, shame, shame, on them to treat their fellow Thais with such callous behaviour.

As soon as the minimum wage was increased to 300 Bht / day, the inflation in this country really took off.

All the food vendors wanted their piece of the 300 that the person earned, the school fees rocketed in many cases by as much as 30% Etc Etc Etc., along with all the other greed factors coming into play from the Thai Business Community

Shame, shame, shame, on them to treat their fellow Thais with such callous behaviour.

Indeed, because they don't have a clue about doing business. When the minimum wage rises 20% they think they will have to raise the the price of the end product with 20% as well.

No idea about how to calculate the cost price of a product.

I live on LESS than these " 300 " baht a day brigade! The trouble is that many do NOT know how to budget properly! It is quite simple to live a comfortable life on 5,000 to 8,000 baht a month ( all in inc rent ) but much of the money is " wasted " on Motorbike Taxis due to being lazy! I walk everywhere ( out of choice & enjoyment ) Walking 10 KM every day is perfectly normal for me but for the Thais they don't seem to understand the concept of " going for a walk "........ lol thumbsup.gif

I dont wish to be rude ,but coming to live in Thailand and living on 8000 baht a month ,sounds like hell ,not heaven to me

The same happened in the UK when the minimum wage came in ,i ran a buisness that employed low wage workers ,,when we put the rates to councills ect up to compensate , more than half cancelled their contracts , and we had to let dozens of staff go as there was no work for them (many went on the social) then inflation kicked in to compensate . you know the rest.

18 year old lad, N/E.

m/cycle payments...............................2,500 per month,

Food....................................................3,000,

Water..................................................... 250,

Mobile top up..........................................250,

Room..................................................2,000,

Min wage 9,000.

Save 1,000. per month. If he already has a m/cycle Save 3,500 per month.

My nephew is 18 and works for the Forestry Dept and earns 6,500 per month.

He has to pay his grandmother 1,000 baht to pay for the motorbike she bought for him and I charge him 1,500 baht to live here.

That is 50 baht a day and includes living, 2 or 3 meals a day, electricity, water, laundry etc.

He has 4,000 baht to get him to work and back, about 1,500 a month and 2,500 to spend on himself.

He usually runs out of money by the middle of the month and gets credit at the local shops at least for a while.

I controlled his money for a while and sometimes he had money left at the end of the month. Now he is lucky if he has any by the 3rd of the month.

He doesn't have the brains to realise that if he only went out 1 night in 3 after 2 months he would be in credit.

Today is the 12th and he has not paid me or his grandmother yet.

I found out last night that of his 6,500 baht salary he paid his outside debts (not me or his grandmother) on the 2nd of July.

Out of his 6,500 salary he was left with 500 baht on 2nd July for the month and that includes the 1,500 baht a month to get to work. Effectively he has spent all his money before he got it and he will continue to do so as his grandmother keeps "helping" him out. Neither of them can understand that by "helping" him out he will always be the same as he has no need or reason to change. I will let him off this month but at the end of the month there will be some serious words in this family.

Has it not been established that in every society there is an economic ladder with someone on the bottom? If you raise the ladder, that person will still be on the bottom.

If the minimum wage was, in all "fairness" raised to 100,000 baht per day, soon a loaf of bread would cost 40,000 baht to pay for the labor of growing the wheat, transporting, selling it, making the bread, paying people to sell it...

The only way for a nation to become wealthier is to create more wealth to go around. Thais can't do that. They work for other countries which know how to create new wealth. They work in a factory as cheap labor making things for Toyota or Intel who are creating and exporting the new wealth by converting raw materials into something valuable (wealth.)

The best the Thais have been able to do is to pirate other countries' inventions, i.e. steal copies of Windows, sell cheap knockoffs made in China, or make cheap copies of trademarked items.

The Thais are so far away in core education and independent thinking, they are followers and blame things on ghosts. It isn't possible to wave a magic wand and create prosperity for the masses.

Issue with minimum wages is that companies circumvent them or use them as an absolute bottom by begging the government to allow them to employ foreign labour because "they can't find domestic employees to fill those roles".

Happens everywhere, and to my mind it is largely absolute <deleted> and never actually proven by a study more by anecdotal evidence.

If the local market cannot supply that labour at that price then increase the wage. Otherwise the minimum wage becomes a false bottom to the market that companies exploit.

18 year old lad, N/E.

Min wage 9,000.

He has to pay his grandmother 1,000 baht to pay for the motorbike she bought for him and I charge him 1,500 baht to live here.

That is 50 baht a day and includes living, 2 or 3 meals a day, electricity, water, laundry etc.

He has 4,000 baht to get him to work and back, about 1,500 a month and 2,500 to spend on himself.

He usually runs out of money by the middle of the month and gets credit at the local shops at least for a while.

I controlled his money for a while and sometimes he had money left at the end of the month. Now he is lucky if he has any by the 3rd of the month.

He doesn't have the brains to realise that if he only went out 1 night in 3 after 2 months he would be in credit.

He may well be a nice lad, he needs tutoring from young if not it is live for today, not paying for what they owe is not a big guilt problem for most Thais.

Being in debt can also bring out the bad in us, some will gamble, steal, take drugs/alcohol to get rid of the problem (short term)

Keep doing your best and encourage him to try to get his head round the prob.thumbsup.gif

His problem is that he is as dumb as a box of rocks.

18 year old lad, N/E.

Min wage 9,000.

He may well be a nice lad, he needs tutoring from young if not it is live for today, not paying for what they owe is not a big guilt problem for most Thais.

Being in debt can also bring out the bad in us, some will gamble, steal, take drugs/alcohol to get rid of the problem (short term)

Keep doing your best and encourage him to try to get his head round the prob.thumbsup.gif

His problem is that he is as dumb as a box of rocks.

OK, put his lodge up again, and do the same as all 1 month in advance, if default---OUT find your own way, I had to learn this way, and from NOWT, I made it and thanked my parents for it later. Hated their hard line at the time though. keep smiling mate.

I live on LESS than these " 300 " baht a day brigade! The trouble is that many do NOT know how to budget properly! It is quite simple to live a comfortable life on 5,000 to 8,000 baht a month ( all in inc rent ) but much of the money is " wasted " on Motorbike Taxis due to being lazy! I walk everywhere ( out of choice & enjoyment ) Walking 10 KM every day is perfectly normal for me but for the Thais they don't seem to understand the concept of " going for a walk "........ lol thumbsup.gif

I dont wish to be rude ,but coming to live in Thailand and living on 8000 baht a month ,sounds like hell ,not heaven to me

THB 8000 sounds like a night out on the town :P

THB 8000 sounds like a night out on the town tongue.png

I easily manage on that a month inc. petrol , water elect.---no joke. but no rent. Of course I am not on holiday, stuck in bars-mixing with the boys, eating out -----holiday and living are separate, no comparisons. But if I was on holiday and only spent this amount a month I should not really be on holiday.

THB 8000 sounds like a night out on the town tongue.png

I easily manage on that a month inc. petrol , water elect.---no joke. but no rent. Of course I am not on holiday, stuck in bars-mixing with the boys, eating out -----holiday and living are separate, no comparisons. But if I was on holiday and only spent this amount a month I should not really be on holiday.

It seems you have a car since you mention petrol. A moderate truck which cost about 800.000 Baht, if it lasts 15 years cost you 4444 Baht each month and then hasn't been on the road yet.

Add to that another 500 Baht road tax and insurance, 500 Baht maintenance and 1000 Baht petrol and you are at 6444 Baht already. Electricity and water 1000 Baht would be a minimum, that is 7444 Baht.

Do you eat grass or so ?

Edited by JesseFrank

THB 8000 sounds like a night out on the town :P

8,000 a month?

Shit, use more than that on petrol alone. Throw in electric and water on two properties, car insurance, home insurance, health insurance and that's just the beginning.

Not even included the weekly shop.

No idea on how anybody, certainly a westerner could manage in that in a month.

Sounds miserable.

Droping interest rates and fuel tax would be a good start

which in turn will devalue the baht - that keeps the export business alive including tourism farming and others - the downside is that Thais wishing to travel abroad have to pay more - so what

A devalued baht makes imported energy more expensive and increased energy prices puts pricing pressure on most products the locals buy- that's what :)

It seems you have a car since you mention petrol. A moderate truck which cost about 800.000 Baht, if it lasts 15 years cost you 4444 Baht each month and then hasn't been on the road yet.

Add to that another 500 Baht road tax and insurance, 500 Baht maintenance and 1000 Baht petrol and you are at 6444 Baht already. Electricity and water 1000 Baht would be a minimum, that is 7444 Baht.

Do you eat grass or so ?

I have a car, and was half that price-------15 years I will be 87 years old------ the car does not cost me 6444 a month -------so you know my water and electric bill do you Ha Ha ha,

Nissan service 10,000 kilos---1200 baht.

petrol I do not need for 650 kilometers,

because you live on beer have a Thai wife family to care for---kids ---expensive area try to make my living like a lie. I put down how much I live on, up to you if your jealous, I am retired and am out to grazing now.

• Like 1

Do you eat grass or so ?

I have a car, and was half that price-------15 years I will be 87 years old------ the car does not cost me 6444 a month -------so you know my water and electric bill do you Ha Ha ha,

because you live on beer have a Thai wife family to care for---kids ---expensive area try to make my living like a lie. I put down how much I live on, up to you if your jealous, I am retired and am out to grazing now.

If you really sit down and start counting you will be surprised.

I don't want to make your reckoning, but just count yourself.

The fact you are 87 when the car is 15 years old doesn't make a difference. You paid for the car already and you may have an accident tomorrow and the car need to be replaced.

You don't need new tires, insurance or roadtax ?

Your visa is for free?

Your electric and water together is less than 1000 Baht a month, maybe you don't have electric then.I assume your kids never watch tv then.

Eating 3 times a day at 33 Baht each meal accounts for 3000 Baht a month, you can do cheaper ? You have a wife and kids you say, they all eat from that 100 Baht a day ?

You wear the same clothes for the past 10 years ?

You probably are a healthy man, but you don't have any health insurance and never even have a cold ?

If you start counting you will find that your 8000 Baht are your fixed costs, before you start living

Do you eat grass or so ?

The fact you are 87 when the car is 15 years old doesn't make a difference. You paid for the car already and you may have an accident tomorrow and the car need to be replaced.

Your visa is for free?

Your electric and water together is less than 1000 Baht a month, maybe you don't have electric then.I assume your kids never watch tv then.

Eating 3 times a day at 33 Baht each meal accounts for 3000 Baht a month, you can do cheaper ? You have a wife and kids you say, they all eat from that 100 Baht a day ?

You probably are a healthy man, but you don't have any health insurance and never even have a cold ?

If you start counting you will find that your 8000 Baht are your fixed costs, before you start living

Forget the accounts department. forget I am a westerner, just forget the car,

Forget the nosey foraging into my personal life.

I can live on the min wage, no problem. this is what it's all about.

I know what my food bill is per month from Tesco, my water, my electric, motor bike petrol, etc.

If you come across a Thai young man, ask him the same questions you asked me. Ask him what he spends stupidly on every month. this wasteful amount is where I gain.

I do not touch drink--smokes-no 600 baht phone bill/top ups/ no woman/bar to pay -no gamble.

I love the warm weather---my super garden-- etc. you get out of your way of life==kids wife's family-and their bills--live in a reasonable area--cook your own food, make your own jam---get mobile man surprising how a different lifestyle could save you cash.

The good life series on UK tv years ago was a good example. enjoy.

• Like 1

Regarding the minimum wage, why not raise it to 500 USD/ HOUR, worldwide?

That way we'd all be rich!

(No, I'm just kidding and trying to show the absurdity of minimum wage legislation.)

No, not kidding, but that is not the absurdity that you are showing.

in my old country a lady making minimum wage explained the problem with raising the minimum wage

she said that when she got more money, her boss increased prices to cover this and so did every other business in town

so in actual fact she was no better off

she claimed she and the employers were both no better off and the only actual winner

was the government who incresed her wages because she now paid more taxes

Do you eat grass or so ?

I agree,

Not everyone buys a new cat.

Second hand truck, 15 years old very cheap (150k).

Tax and insurance nearer 1,000bht a year.

Maintenance the same.

• Like 2

as I predicted 2 years ago - the minimum wage policy would fail due to inflation getting out of control - another vote buying policy of Thaksin that has proven to be destructive

I hope the Thais realise now that voting for these unworkable populist policies has backfired in their faces - promising people a 40% pay rise to get their vote

I wonder have the voters learned from this

Some very careful fiscal control needs to take place now before this completely implodes

Inflation must be held in check or this country is going to get very expensive

Droping interest rates and fuel tax would be a good start

which in turn will devalue the baht - that keeps the export business alive including tourism farming and others - the downside is that Thais wishing to travel abroad have to pay more - so what

The various schemes that PTP introduced to win votes is going to cost this country dearly but they need to do the right thing now and take it on the chin

Where do you get a 40% increase, Min wage was 150B and it went to 300B that is a 100% increase. We were paying workers at our factory 200B a day, of course we followed the rules and paid the 300B but we could go any higher than that. Not only did our labor rate go up but our raw material rate went up because our suppliers had to pay more for labor.

allot of People don't realize how far reaching it is when you make such a drastic increase in labor rates. You can see what happened in food prices and everything else here in Thailand. I'm sure allot of farmers are still using Cambodians and not paying 300B a day, only 100 or 120 a day. If all of the framers ore forced to start paying 300B you will see increase in the local markets too. We are having a hard time competing with manufactures in Vietnam and China. Any more increase we will need to look at relocating to Vietnam, Cambodia or China.

Agreed 100%, what do you manufacture? I' just curioussmile.png

Regarding the minimum wage, why not raise it to 500 USD/ HOUR, worldwide?

That way we'd all be rich!

(No, I'm just kidding and trying to show the absurdity of minimum wage legislation.)

No, not kidding, but that is not the absurdity that you are showing.

the market alone should determine wages

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Has it not been established that in every society there is an economic ladder with someone on the bottom? If you raise the ladder, that person will still be on the bottom.

If the minimum wage was, in all "fairness" raised to 100,000 baht per day, soon a loaf of bread would cost 40,000 baht to pay for the labor of growing the wheat, transporting, selling it, making the bread, paying people to sell it...

The only way for a nation to become wealthier is to create more wealth to go around. Thais can't do that. They work for other countries which know how to create new wealth. They work in a factory as cheap labor making things for Toyota or Intel who are creating and exporting the new wealth by converting raw materials into something valuable (wealth.)

The best the Thais have been able to do is to pirate other countries' inventions, i.e. steal copies of Windows, sell cheap knockoffs made in China, or make cheap copies of trademarked items.

The Thais are so far away in core education and independent thinking, they are followers and blame things on ghosts. It isn't possible to wave a magic wand and create prosperity for the masses.

Best post I've read in this thread.

The economy will always be an economy. Those seeking for minimum wage increases, will always be having an income of 0.000000001% of the total economy. This will never change, regardless of how large the economy expands. The only real solution to this, is a redistribution of wealth. Minimum wage increases only the nominal number wage of the poor. So what? It increases to 600 to 900. And? The problem is somchais, never know how to accumulate wealth. Their brains are only income = expense. Where do you think that expense goes? Back to the economy. Who owns the economy? The rich.

Let's not make something complicated. Today, the only economy and population in this world is a chicken factory owned by a boss, and staffed by 10 somchais. Each somchai has to eat a chicken everyday. Each chicken is 100 baht.

I pay my somchais 3,000 per month.

My revenue is 30,000 per month.

Does it matter if I pay them triple?

I pay my somchais 9,000 per month.

My revenue is 90,000 per month. (If chicken rises at the same rate.)

Real world situation is actually worse than this. They are not mathematically. It's consumer behavior and chaotic fluctuations. Chicken price will not rise directly with wage increase. In fact, it's more. The chicken was suppose to be 300 baht to be balanced. But it's 350. So now what? The somchai thinks he is richer? No, because of rise in minimum wage, it causes fluctuations to distort the balance of the market.

It simply will not work. Only redistribution of wealth works. Period. But will the rich allow that? Never. Which rich man will allow himself to be poorer, so others can be richer? Government is run by the economy, who owns the economy, the rich. Understand? They don't work for the poor, that's just for public relations. Same with company PR, companies spend less than 1% of their income on PR. Donate this to charity, helped this organization, blah blah. Less than 1% of company net profit, just for show.

Learn to accumulate wealth. Not a hard thing to do. Stop complaining about being poor and blaming others. Do something about it.

Do you eat grass or so ?

Your visa is for free?

What IS your problem with how ginjag lives and what he spends?

It is up to him how he lives his life and if he is happy and enjoying HIS life why not get on with your own.

I spend more than he does but then again I am supporting 6 people including sending my son to school 65 km away.

The strange thing about death is that it is a great leveller. No matter how rich you are or ginjag or I am is when we all die we can't take anything with us.

No matter if you are the richest man in the world or the poorest you are worth the same as each other when you are dead..........nothing.

In case you have missed it

1. Internet forum
  2. An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages.
  3. Internet forum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum