Flying in and out to activate second part of tourist visa

I've noticed a post here saying people are getting turned away at border crossings when trying to activate the second part of their tourist visa.

I have to leave the country at start of September, so I'm wondering if it's better to fly into KL for a few days then fly back into Thailand.

I do have a few years worth of border run stamps + 4 tourist visas in my passport.

I have some savings and earn money passively so technically I have enough to live for those 3 extra months, but I work online so have decided to pack up shop and head somewhere else after the last 3 months. I know I'm doing wrong bla bla bla, so you don't need to flame me for it because I already know.

I want to order new passport hence the reason to stay the extra few months. After that I'll be out of your hair for a while :)

Just want to give myself the best chance of getting my second tourist visa activated.

You can fly out and back to use the 2nd entry of your tourist visa.

It can be done at some border crossings without a worry. Others are not predictable at the moment.

Thanks!

I think I'll just book flights to Malaysia and back to make sure then.

Hopefully if they ever did try to stop me from using the visa at an airport they would still give me a few days to grab my things.

I have seen no recent reports of Mae Sai being a problem.

Only some of the crossings to Cambodia and the south as been reported as being a problem.

Re fly back into Thailand, wouldn't it be advisable to have a ticket out again dated close to expiry date of your visa when you come in ?

• Like 1

Have a friend who works off shore come into Suvarnabhumi this past week after being out for 6 weeks. He departed Thailand on a 60 day tourist visa backed by a 2x30 day visa exempt entries. In his pass port were 3 previous overstays. He was given a serious cavity check. He was able to convince the IO's that he would be going back to work and they allowed him in but like he said it was questionable for a time.

It can be done at some border crossings without a worry. Others are not predictable at the moment.

Thanks!

I think I'll just book flights to Malaysia and back to make sure then.

Hopefully if they ever did try to stop me from using the visa at an airport they would still give me a few days to grab my things.

To the OP. You are doing the right thing with your online work, you look after yourself first as long as no one else is harmed in any way, and never mind the laws. also, never mind anyone who flames you, just press the report button. Good luck.

• Like 2

Strange days indeed. People doing the wrong thing make it worse for the rest of us. Also, I feel too many border runs is disrespectful to the country you go to for 5 mins to get your passport stamped. I mean once in a while is OK if you can't afford the expenses to get a new visa.

Have a friend who works off shore come into Suvarnabhumi this past week after being out for 6 weeks. He departed Thailand on a 60 day tourist visa backed by a 2x30 day visa exempt entries. In his pass port were 3 previous overstays. He was given a serious cavity check. He was able to convince the IO's that he would be going back to work and they allowed him in but like he said it was questionable for a time.

It is the overstays that probably got their attention. People on a rotation of more that 30 day here need to get sorted out on visa.

There are few that are married to a Thai that now have multiple entry non-o visas that were making a border hops or doing an overstay to cover the extra days.

I just suggested by PM to one that had been doing 10 day overstays to get a tourist visa. With a 2 entry visa and re-entry permits and 30 day extensions you could probably get a 4 trips in and out with it.

Just back from one week in Cambodia, entry to Thailand via Poipet on second entry of three entries (from Thai embassy in Berlin).

One week in Cambodia, "touring" there in whatever form, makes you a bonafide tourist. It's the same day back-to-back exit/reentry that is targeted with the current crackdown.

In a post elsewhere on TV a IO at the southern border recommended (requested) to stay two nights outside of Thailand.

Edited by RTH10260

I will have an answer for you in 10 days, when I return from KL. I am flying out, staying a few days to see the sights, and then using my second part of my double entry visa to tour Chiang Mai for about two months. I have a ticket out of the country after my two months is expired. Hopefully, I will be converting to an 90 day O while in Bangkok, and then get the retirement extension...so I will not have to leave. If I cannot, I will be flying to the Philippines at that time...and apply once again.

Yes, like you, I got caught up in the border run deal...and have some back to backs. Now it caught up with me. So the fix is in the works.

• Like 1

Fair enough but the overstays is probably why he was further scrutinized. Given that much tougher penalties are likely to be imposed for overstayers (mainly long term overstayers over 90 days) immigration will certainly be interested in those travellers that have previously overstayed and in their minds are likely to do it again.

Think about it - it's quite logical. If you have ever overstayed in say Australia, even for a day or two, should you find yourself returning 5-7 years down the line immigration can and probably WILL pick up on your previous overstay. They will then detain you in a private room for questioning and may or may not let you re-enter. If they do let you re-enter you might get a restricted period of stay and don't expect to be able to re-enter again for a while or not without a visa or getting scrutinized every time.

I don't see any reason why that won't be the case here in Thailand even now and even if the new overstay rules didn't come to pass. A lot of others who have complained of being "hassled" have also previously overstayed thinking that it won't have any effect on their coming and going now. How wrong they are.

Strange days indeed. People doing the wrong thing make it worse for the rest of us. Also, I feel too many border runs is disrespectful to the country you go to for 5 mins to get your passport stamped. I mean once in a while is OK if you can't afford the expenses to get a new visa.

This thread is not about enterting without a visa, it's about entering WITH a double entry tourist visa.

Having lived here for 13 years now I have seen clampdowns before, but honestly I never thought I'd see the day when it was questionable if you'd be alowed to use the second entry of a double entry tourist visa.

• Like 2

I will have an answer for you in 10 days, when I return from KL. I am flying out, staying a few days to see the sights, and then using my second part of my double entry visa to tour Chiang Mai for about two months. I have a ticket out of the country after my two months is expired. Hopefully, I will be converting to an 90 day O while in Bangkok, and then get the retirement extension...so I will not have to leave. If I cannot, I will be flying to the Philippines at that time...and apply once again.

Yes, like you, I got caught up in the border run deal...and have some back to backs. Now it caught up with me. So the fix is in the works.

Thanks, but I think I'm just going to fly from Krabi to Chiang Mai then attempt to do the border run at Mai Sai.

I'll go a few weeks early, so if they don't let me leave the country because they'd have to let me back I'll have plenty of time to go to Vietnam or Cambodia instead.

It's a shame I need to renew my passport otherwise I'd just have packed my bags and left for Bali, but since you only get 60 day visa + you have to apply for passport in Jakarta it would be impossible.

• Like 1

I got this from Pattaya Expats web site--any verificaton on what it says about the 7 days?

News... It has been announced on 1 July to Key Visa's visa run Agents that from the 1st July 2014 all Nationalities who enter Thailand on a free visa exemption e.g. 30 days standard if they wish to travel to the Thai border and return by land you will only be stamped 7 days, not 15 or 30 days like they did previously 7 DAYS AND THAT IS IT.

It has also been announced once you have been to the Thai border by land and had one lot of 7 days you cannot cross the border again if you wish to stay longer then you have to travel outside of Thailand to a Thai Consulate to obtain a Thai tourist visa or something similar and the you can return to Thailand on a visa type.

The only exceptions at the Thai border are people with Non-Immigrant visas multiple entry and double or triple entry tourist visas obtained overseas or from a Thai consulate around Thailand.

So it's getting harder guys, if your stay is going to be over 30 days then I suggest you consider obtaining a visa from a Thai Consulate in your home Country before arriving in Thailand. No visa, if you cross a border expect only 7 days!!!

I got this from Pattaya Expats web site--any verificaton on what it says about the 7 days?

News... It has been announced on 1 July to Key Visa's visa run Agents that from the 1st July 2014 all Nationalities who enter Thailand on a free visa exemption e.g. 30 days standard if they wish to travel to the Thai border and return by land you will only be stamped 7 days, not 15 or 30 days like they did previously 7 DAYS AND THAT IS IT.

It has also been announced once you have been to the Thai border by land and had one lot of 7 days you cannot cross the border again if you wish to stay longer then you have to travel outside of Thailand to a Thai Consulate to obtain a Thai tourist visa or something similar and the you can return to Thailand on a visa type.

The only exceptions at the Thai border are people with Non-Immigrant visas multiple entry and double or triple entry tourist visas obtained overseas or from a Thai consulate around Thailand.

So it's getting harder guys, if your stay is going to be over 30 days then I suggest you consider obtaining a visa from a Thai Consulate in your home Country before arriving in Thailand. No visa, if you cross a border expect only 7 days!!!

Not really. And it was only happening at some Cambodia border crossings which is where the mentioned visa run companies were going.

There have been people getting exempt entries if they didn't have any before.

I need to understand step by step blink.png I want to stay for tourism in Pattaya 110-120 days (in my passport I do not have any past visa-run)

then I need 60+60 days visa, right ?

1)get at Consulate ''tourist visa double entry'' TR2
2)Stay in Thailand and after 58/60 days leave. By land or by flight ??
3)After ?? days entry in Thailand and start second visa;
4)After 58/60 days exit definitely

Is it all right? What about questions at point 2 and 3 ?
And airlines company would transport me with this kind of visas? Thanks

Correct a 2 entry tourist visa allows 2 you to enter twice getting 60 days for each entry.

If you don't have a history of doing a departure and an immediate return you should not have a problem just leaving and returning.

Guys I want activate second part in Laos. I have few visa run in 2013. And only one torist visa. Just fly Udon Thani, take bus to border, activate visa and go in Kingdom. I have every paper, bank, ticket, cash.

So I will have some problem or not ?

Also I think go in Kuala Lampur ( but now I worried about situation with visa in Malaysia).

Also Singapore. What will be best ?

Thanks for advice.