Who Are The Most Patriotic Nations

snoophound

Kiwis more patriotic than Poms, less than Aussies

1.00pm Wednesday June 28, 2006

New Zealanders are the world's ninth-most patriotic people, according to a survey.

The United States, where Stars and Stripes flags are commonplace in back gardens, politicians regularly play the pariotism card and anti-terrorism legislation is even called the Patriot Act , unsurprisingly topped the poll.

It was closely followed by Venezuela in the survey by the National Opinion Research Centre at the University of Chicago.

Australia came in fifth in the study of 34 democracies. As in the US, where anything perceived as unpatriotic is often labelled "un-American", the name of the country has come to symbolise Australia's supposedly shared values - commentators and politicians talking of "un-Australian" behaviour.

Britain, where national identity is most often associated with the soccer teams of the four home nations, was 11th in the poll. But it could move up the list if Gordon Brown, finance minister and possibly the country's next Prime Minister, has his way with the introduction of a national day.

People in the survey rated how proud they were of their countries in areas such as political influence, economic success, sports and history.

The organisers said ex-colonies and newer nations were more likely to rank high on the list.

New Zealand ranked highly for pride in sporting achievement - second, behind Ireland.

The country also ranked third for pride in the arts and literature, and fourth for pride in our armed forces.

Top 10 rankings:

1. United States

2. Venezuela

3. Ireland

4. South Africa

5. Australia

6. Canada

7. Philippines

8. Austria

9. NEW ZEALAND

10. Chile

Others:

11. Great Britain

12. Israel

18. Japan

19. France

24. Russia

27. Germany (West)

31. Korea

34. Germany (East)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kiwis more patriotic than Poms, less than Aussies

1.00pm Wednesday June 28, 2006

New Zealanders are the world's ninth-most patriotic people, according to a survey.

The United States, where Stars and Stripes flags are commonplace in back gardens, politicians regularly play the pariotism card and anti-terrorism legislation is even called the Patriot Act , unsurprisingly topped the poll.

It was closely followed by Venezuela in the survey by the National Opinion Research Centre at the University of Chicago.

Australia came in fifth in the study of 34 democracies. As in the US, where anything perceived as unpatriotic is often labelled "un-American", the name of the country has come to symbolise Australia's supposedly shared values - commentators and politicians talking of "un-Australian" behaviour.

Britain, where national identity is most often associated with the soccer teams of the four home nations, was 11th in the poll. But it could move up the list if Gordon Brown, finance minister and possibly the country's next Prime Minister, has his way with the introduction of a national day.

People in the survey rated how proud they were of their countries in areas such as political influence, economic success, sports and history.

The organisers said ex-colonies and newer nations were more likely to rank high on the list.

New Zealand ranked highly for pride in sporting achievement - second, behind Ireland.

The country also ranked third for pride in the arts and literature, and fourth for pride in our armed forces.

Top 10 rankings:

1. United States

2. Venezuela

3. Ireland

4. South Africa

5. Australia

6. Canada

7. Philippines

8. Austria

9. NEW ZEALAND

10. Chile

Others:

11. Great Britain

12. Israel

18. Japan

19. France

24. Russia

27. Germany (West)

31. Korea

34. Germany (East)

Germany (East) :o:D:D

I would agree that the Thai people are patriotic, and not just at this time of The Kings 60th aniversary. Perhaps the Americans would be better described as "Jingoistic" rather than merely "Patriotic".

Others:

11. Great Britain

12. Israel

18. Japan

19. France

24. Russia

27. Germany (West)

31. Korea

34. Germany (East)

God save us from ''surveys''.

Did the ''survey'' mention where the country called ''Great Britain'' is located and which ''four home nations'' make up an island comprising two kingdoms and a principality? And does the ''survey'' predate the reunification of Germany? (I assume it is from before 1953, when there was a country called ''Korea''.)

I'm really surprised that Korea is down near the bottom. I've found all Koreans I've ever met to be extremely patriotic. Much more than the average American. I don't find Kiwis to be particularly patriotic, any more than most other Western countries. I think trying to gauge patriotism is very difficult to do across cultural boundaries, so I take these results with a grain of salt.

I'm Scottish, although my passport says I'm British - I think you'll find many people who, like me, don't really consider themselves British.

I'm American and have an American passport, but don't really consider myself an American. If someone asks me my nationality, I say "American", but have absolutely no patriotism left for my home country. I have no shame in admitting I'm American, but have no pride either. I have relatives living in the States for whom I have feelngs for, and don't wish any harm to come to my home country because they are living there. But as to the country as a whole, I have no feelings for my home country, nor any country for that matter. I view myself as a citizen of the world. While I recognize differences in people between different cultures, and need to treat people differently because of their cultural differences, I see everyone as a citizen of this world and equal in that respect. My loss of my patriotism didn't occur overnight but was gradual over the years of living abroad.

I wonder how many expats living in Thailand or elsewhere have lost all their patriotism towards their home country as I have.

I'm Scottish, although my passport says I'm British - I think you'll find many people who, like me, don't really consider themselves British.

My passport also says British but I consider myself English first and foremost. :o

I'm American and have an American passport, but don't really consider myself an American. If someone asks me my nationality, I say "American", but have absolutely no patriotism left for my home country. I have no shame in admitting I'm American, but have no pride either. I have relatives living in the States for whom I have feelngs for, and don't wish any harm to come to my home country because they are living there. But as to the country as a whole, I have no feelings for my home country, nor any country for that matter. I view myself as a citizen of the world. While I recognize differences in people between different cultures, and need to treat people differently because of their cultural differences, I see everyone as a citizen of this world and equal in that respect. My loss of my patriotism didn't occur overnight but was gradual over the years of living abroad.

I wonder how many expats living in Thailand or elsewhere have lost all their patriotism towards their home country as I have.

Well, there are Expatriates and Ex-patriots.

Not at all the same animal.

patrick

Oh say can you see. The land of the free and the home of the brave.

I think I represent the average American who is a 4th of July patriot. Baseball, Apple Pie and Chevrolet. Take me out to the ball game, let's play 2. if you think that living outside the US for a number of years will take that outta me, you got another thing coming

Edited by monochaser

I must bite you a little bit....

You have an American passport? There are also other countries in America than USA.....

Else I fully agree I view myself also as citizen of the world. Maybe a bit proud of europe.

But seeing Austria on position 8 really surprise me specialy with

11. Great Britain

12. Israel

18. Japan

19. France

Korea hint hint, there are 2 countries called Korea.

While we can merge East and West Germany

7. Philippines

where is Thailand?

I hear all the day about how great Thailand is, that all the main inventions were made in Thailand (just the evil foreigner have stohlen them), that Thailand win all wars and even beat the Japanese nearly alone in the 2nd worldwar (with some small unimportant help from USA).

so thailand should get the position 1++ in that ranking.

You have an American passport? There are also other countries in America than USA.....

Actually, it used to be whenever someone asked me where I came from, my reply was always "USA", but since visiting Thailand, I found that most Thai's had a confused look when I said that and asked me where that was. Even replying "United States" brought that same look. Finally when I said "America", they understood. So I now get into the habit of saying I'm from America mainly because it's the only way the average Thai will understand.

Actually, when I took Spanish, I was told that "Mexico" was originally named the Spanish equivalent to "United States of America", but because it's northern neighbor was more powerful, they had to change their name to "United Mexican States". I'm not sure if that's true or not. Anyways, their official name is still "Estados Unidos Mexicanos". So anyone just saying "United States" would technically be being ambiguous.

Actually, it used to be whenever someone asked me where I came from, my reply was always "USA", but since visiting Thailand, I found that most Thai's had a confused look when I said that and asked me where that was. Even replying "United States" brought that same look. Finally when I said "America", they understood. So I now get into the habit of saying I'm from America mainly because it's the only way the average Thai will understand.

Actually, when I took Spanish, I was told that "Mexico" was originally named the Spanish equivalent to "United States of America", but because it's northern neighbor was more powerful, they had to change their name to "United Mexican States". I'm not sure if that's true or not. Anyways, their official name is still "Estados Unidos Mexicanos". So anyone just saying "United States" would technically be being ambiguous.

If you are in a Latin American country and speaking English, it is OK to say American because that is what Americans say, but if speaking Spanish, better to say Estados Unidos. Interestingly, in Mexico, to most Mexicans, if you say Mexico, they think you mean Mexico D.F. (the capital Mexico City).

And, yeah, nationalism definitely has a dark side. I remember my one and only trip to Greece, the people were all in a warlike mood because of the naming of Macedonia (I think they thought it should be part of Greece or something like that). Anyway, fervant nationalism was in the air, and it wasn't pretty to watch.

Edited by Thaiquila

I'd say that the Scots are the most patriotic and nationalistic people I know.......but they are still British.

Well sald, and I can't agree more with you, Soju

Edited by SamuiJens

I'm rather surprised by this poll. While about 1/3 of Americans are so delusional they think whatever America does is always right, there is another 1/3 so full of self loathing that thinks America is responsible for every ill, everywhere. I would have thought countries with more homogenous poulations might top that list.

Guess what faces I get when I tell I come from Austria.

Ahh Australia....

Yes yes same same but different....

Now I either agree that Austria=Australia or I tell I am from Germany (Austria-Germany, same same but different).

Actually I like to tell that I come from Iran or Russia, because that there are no further questions....

But my wife get very upset if I do that......

Guess what faces I get when I tell I come from Austria.

Ahh Australia....

Yes yes same same but different....

Now I either agree that Austria=Australia or I tell I am from Germany (Austria-Germany, same same but different).

Actually I like to tell that I come from Iran or Russia, because that there are no further questions....

But my wife get very upset if I do that......

Never had any problems with Thai people knowing the difference between Austria & Australia, or Not knowing the term United States. May be you guys need to developed some smart Thai friends and I'm not talking about the people in the Bars :o

I wondered whether anyone was going to point out an absurdity in this thread.Nobody has so so far so let me step in.Unless patriotism is very clearly defined the subject tends to be measured by the amount of flag waving and "in your face" nationalism.

The reality is that some countries are much more secure in their identity than others, generally those with a longer history.Thus old countries like France, England, and Japan don't really need to make a song and dance about patriotism, though of course some do.Citizens of these countries are certainly proud of their culture but generally in a quieter more confident way way.

America, a big flag waver, comes in a different category as a country of immigrants.In America it's necessary to constantly reinforce the concept of nation through allegiance to the flag ceremonies etc.

My passport also says British but I consider myself English first and foremost. :o

I'm 'Welsh' and I love your breasts!

Abso-Bloomin-Lutely!

I'm English, not British!

england.gif

If the Jocks, Taffs and Paddies want independence, give it to them...!

Technically its the other way round and the English are the ones who need/should be given Independence...

Following on to the Union of the Crowns in 1603 (locally known as the Junta) Jimmi the sixth of Jockland (mummy- Mary Q of Scots) took over the club of Angrit and became King Jimbo the First so technically (again) Alba is the rulling head boy here and Les Anglais the ..."peons"..albiet with a few privis thrown in to keep them happy......

Just over a 100 years later in 1707 the "nuvo rich" carpetbaggers really got their act together (faux Pax..)with yet another "Act" cried ...the Union of the Parliament :D ...really stuffed everyone well and proper...luvly jubbly if ye can get it.......so...as said if Angrit wants to become an Independent Republic I for one would be veery happy tae support them.......more than ye can say for the fitba.....No...thats fur another day.....But could you handle it?

Got a wee Red PP .....and consider myself European ..First......then.....whits the weather like today... :o