Buying a CBR 250. History in Thailand?

JimShortz

I am trying to find a little of the History of the CBR 250 in Thailand, before I buy one (as soon as possible). Any pointers, or directions to websites would be much appreciated.

I know that there was an older model CBR 250 before the newer CBR 250R took over. Am I right in thinking that the new one took over in 2010?

What should I be looking to pay for the various models? I am really looking to spend not much more than 50,000 - although I could go to 60k for the right bike. Would an early example of the newer model be possible for this money?

Actually, I am interested in any comparisons between the two models. I think I actually prefer the look of the older model. How does it compare for performance and reliability? Is it the same engine?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

PS - I am in Chiang Mai. Is there anywhere I should be looking to buy one of these bikes?

You can find the history of the bike at thai visa cbr250r thread. Search it.

You can get a decent cbr250r for around 70 k thb. Check mocyc.com, TV and bahtsold classifieds.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The old CBR250RR was a grey market import. Last year of production was 1994 IIRC. Meaning you're looking at trying to find parts and service for a bike that is at least 20 years old and never had official dealer support. Throw in who knows what monkeys have been wrenching on it to repair what abuse and I decided to go with a new bike when I considered the same purchase.

Not saying you can't get lucky and find a properly plated one that isn't going to be a money pit...actually I am saying that.

Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

There are tons of shops in Chiang Mai just take a drive or walk around the city. After some personal experience with a independent shop I prefer to do my shopping at actual dealers you can google there locations.

Thanks for the input everyone. I have been learning a little more Googling around today. It seems around 70k can buy me a fairly low mileage 250R, but then there is the 300R to now consider for 138k (with ABS by default). Hmm...

If I can get a good 250R for the right price I think that is how I will go. If opting for new then the 300R looks nice... I just didn't want to get something that I would be too precious about, hence the secondhand 250.

Decisions, decisions! tongue.png

At the risk of upsetting all the current CBR 250 owners........ I was very disappointed with mine. It looked the business, but the performance was really lacking. I had mine for about 6 months (the newer model bought from new) and I had a real problem selling it because so many identical ones were on the market, which makes me think there was a lot of other disappointed riders out there. I bought a Ninja 650 which I am delighted with. I think my point is if you are now thinking about spending 138K on a 300, have a look around and see if you can get something in the 600s a bit older. Just because the extra power is there doesn't mean you have to use it, but you might be grateful for it if the need arises.

SDM

• Like 1

^^^ x2 what he says, everyone (including me on some of my purchases :D ) bought something they thought was just "enough", only to try to modify it later to try to get more power out of the thing. Only girls keep thinking that something is enough, guys always wish for more as the time pass. :P

OP, I don't know your financial situation, but take a look at 500 series Honda, they're still fairly cheap but great value and a lot of bike for the money they cost.

Jim , as dave says , the old "propper CBR 250RR was a super little bike (built by Honda - Japan) with 45-50 BHP and great build quality. People just dont sell them , they are so good. The "new" 250 has about half that power , and , as SDM says , people cant wait to off-load them due to the poor quality and lack of any performance / excitement. They are not built or assembeled by Honda - Japan. You will want to up-grade very soon. A "new" model , a couple of years old will set you about 50 - 60,000 Baht. If you want a small sportsbike , have a look at the Kawasaki Ninja 250. Very good quality and great re-sale values. Kawasaki also do a Ninja 300 version , and a naked version , Z250. There are also some good naked bikes from Keeway / RKV , for about 60,000 Baht new ,but these are air / oil cooled 200cc.Look around all the bike shops , but go to the "Buffalo" market , past Hang Dong on Saturday - starts at 5AM!. There is another market on Sunday , 8AM , in a shopping mall carpark but ive forgot the name - sorry. Someone will know it .

The old CBR250RR is a much different (and frankly better) bike than the CBR250. The old RR was a 4cylinder model (not the 1 cylinder model) that used the same tech and high revving engine of the bigger cc bikes. Japan has/had restricted licensing for motorcycles and that was why it was made. It was a very high tech model that cost as much as a bigger cc bike. There is the naked version called the hornet. I have seen a few CBR250's and hornets for sale, so they do pop up. However, very rare. I personally never got on the CBR250 bandwagon. I can't get excited over a 1 cylinder, 4 stroke, 250cc. Honestly I would take one of the older 2 stroke 150cc's (Honda NSR, YAMAHA TZR/TZM, Kawasaki KRR) over those any day.

Thanks everyone - lots to consider here...

I already have a Honda NSR150, and it's heaps of fun, but hardly practical transport. It makes me want to thrash it all of the time and if I keep riding the mini beast it may lead to my premature demise. Hence the CBR... :-)

I have a couple queued up to look at, and will most likely buy one in the next few days. I've gone back to the original plan of a cheaper CBR250, as a good solid bike for practical transaport and a few longer blasts from time to time. I've rented one in the past so I have a good idea what they are like.

I tend to agree that it will bore me after some time (I have previously owned a CBR600, so do understand the fun to be had from fast bikes). When that happens I will sell it and move on up I guess...

Here's to some good tame CBR fun next week!!!

• Like 1

I already have a Honda NSR150, and it's heaps of fun, but hardly practical transport. It makes me want to thrash it all of the time and if I keep riding the mini beast it may lead to my premature demise. Hence the CBR... :-)

My CBR250 was almost permanently in the red zone after only having it for a few months. I wonder if they are restricted electronically as it was unbelievably sluggish. Maybe it was the extra tonnage it was carrying (100 KG). I wasn't even aware of how slow it was until I had a go on a friends Versys (650), which felt like a jet fighter by comparison. So many of my motorbyclecyclists warned me again the 250/300s, suggesting at least a 500.

Having said all of that I am now starting to get a bit bored of my Ninja 650, next stop R1 and then, well who knows*.

SDM

* don't say it please.

Edited by SDM0712

My CBR250 was almost permanently in the red zone after only having it for a few months. I wonder if they are restricted electronically as it was unbelievably sluggish. Maybe it was the extra tonnage it was carrying (100 KG). I wasn't even aware of how slow it was until I had a go on a friends Versys (650), which felt like a jet fighter by comparison. So many of my motorbyclecyclists warned me again the 250/300s, suggesting at least a 500.

Having said all of that I am now starting to get a bit bored of my Ninja 650, next stop R1 and then, well who knows*.

SDM

* don't say it please.

mine was not sluggish - for a 250 cc bike! - and it was a lot of cheap fun. it was a nice little bike that never left me alone and it is quite capable.

you cannot get this much fun from 60 k thb!

the ninja 650 you are talking about it 295 k thb and r1 is 800 k thb which means they are 5 and 12 times more than a cbr250 respectively.

and dont forget, some here might not need bigger and more powerful ones but need little bikes with flexibility, comfort and economy.

• Like 1

Well, let's see how long it takes for boredom to set in....

I bought a nice red CBR250R today for a little under 60k, so very happy - at least for now! tongue.png

dont worry, you dont get bored easily with it but yes, it is not a literbike.

still for 60 k thb, you cannot get any better bike than that. Best bang for your buck bike in thailand IMO. 60 k thb is the price you pay for a new honda wave125 or even close to Chinese Lifan!

i had one that i was commuting, touring, having spirited rides etc and it was a lot of fun plus excellent fuel economy and flexibility.

congrats. how many kms?

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

The one I bought has 27,500 kms on it, and a couple of very slight cosmetic blemishes. It has had regular 3k km services and runs great. I am very pleased with her.

The main cosmetic issue was rusted scratches on the silver exhaust cover. I was going to paint it but have just been and bought a new one instead for 495 Baht. Hardly worth buying heatproof spray and painting it when new is so cheap!

To me, 27k kms is nothing. It is Honda after all so should be good for many more kms. The person who I bought it off had her from new and didn't like to ride fast. He told me he rarely went over 80 km/h and never revved high. I think I did well with this one... 57,000 Baht we'll spent...

I'm just back from having her serviced and checked over. No problems at all! :-)

• Like 2

SDM

* don't say it please.

mine was not sluggish - for a 250 cc bike! - and it was a lot of cheap fun. it was a nice little bike that never left me alone and it is quite capable.

you cannot get this much fun from 60 k thb!

the ninja 650 you are talking about it 295 k thb and r1 is 800 k thb which means they are 5 and 12 times more than a cbr250 respectively.

and dont forget, some here might not need bigger and more powerful ones but need little bikes with flexibility, comfort and economy.

I'm sure you're right. My CBR was my first proper bike, having come from a PCX. The shop wouldn't let me test drive one so perhaps my expectation were a bit high. It's a very attractive bike and looks like it should be a lot faster than it is. I paid about 120,000 for mine and could only get 70 for it four months later because there were so many on the second hand market.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

A used CBR250 is a great deal in this country for sure.

I wonder why they don't make a naked version of the bike.

It would surely sell well.

i agree. A naked of this model sells well. nowadays seeing a lot of kawa z250 around. it is getting popular. good bike it is for sure.

Maybe they release the naked version of cbr300r - cb300f. If they sell it like 110 - 120 k here with ABS, sure they sell as much as kawa z250.

post-184955-0-63398600-1405396985_thumb.

post-184955-0-97290900-1405396992_thumb.

Edited by ll2