Lamai to immigration office

Hey,

How much should I expect to pay to get to the immigration office south of Nathon in a Songthew coming from Lamai?

I'd imagine I just have to stand on the ring road and hail down the first one I see driving past.

Also, heard some horror stories about office on Samui. I take it for a 30 day extension I'll just need the usual TR7 form, passport copies, photo, and 1900bht?

Want to go some time in the next few weeks, but just doing research now.

Thank you

Hi finy

It should be 60 baht. I did it last year. It was raining heavily that morning. He said it was 100 baht. I refused. Eventually, after a lot of huffing and puffing we agreed on 60 baht. That was my first trip to the Immigration office, so I didn't know where it was. From memory, you've been on Samui before so you could just get on and then press the buzzer/bang on the back window when you want to get off, hand him the money and walk off.

These days I go by scooter, but I am not aware of any price increases.

Have you seen these recent postings? Click HERE (documents to take to Samui Immigration)

and HERE (Samui songthaew Farang prices)

Out of interest, after your previous posts on earlier threads, how much are you paying in rent and for scooter?

(I replied to your posts as jukebox; name change to fit in with new avatar)

Edited to add 2nd link, and to tidy up layout of post.

Edited by silver sea
  • Like 1

Re you wanting, I quote, " I take it for a 30 day extension I'll just need the usual TR7 form, passport copies, photo, and 1900bht?"

I don't think you will get 30 days at Nathon... You will need to do a border run.... they will only give you seven days! Heard that so many times with tourists .... assuming you are on a 30 day tourist visa?

Be prepared for a trip to Malaysia! that's going to be a bit more than 60 baht! whistling.gif

Hi finy

It should be 60 baht. I did it last year. It was raining heavily that morning. He said it was 100 baht. I refused. Eventually, after a lot of huffing and puffing we agreed on 60 baht. That was my first trip to the Immigration office, so I didn't know where it was. From memory, you've been on Samui before so you could just get on and then press the buzzer/bang on the back window when you want to get off, hand him the money and walk off.

These days I go by scooter, but I am not aware of any price increases.

Have you seen these recent postings? Click HERE (documents to take to Samui Immigration)

and HERE (Samui songthaew Farang prices)

Out of interest, after your previous posts on earlier threads, how much are you paying in rent and for scooter?

(I replied to your posts as jukebox; name change to fit in with new avatar)

Edited to add 2nd link, and to tidy up layout of post.

I didn't end up renting a scooter in the end because they all wanted my passport. I was just going to buy one because I thought I'd be staying long-term, but because of all the hassle I'm just going to leave when my visa runs out or if I get kicked out before then.

I booked a beach hut for first 3 days then found a house for 6500 per month with kitchen (inc utilities), so quite a good deal and in a nice area. Wish I could have stayed longer, but it's not to be.

Thank you for all the help in the other thread.

I have a friend who says I can borrow scooter any time, so I might just take them up on it for a day when it's time to go to immmigration. I'll give them a few hundred and fill up tank, but it will probably be less hassle then using the songthaew.

Re you wanting, I quote, " I take it for a 30 day extension I'll just need the usual TR7 form, passport copies, photo, and 1900bht?"

I don't think you will get 30 days at Nathon... You will need to do a border run.... they will only give you seven days! Heard that so many times with tourists .... assuming you are on a 30 day tourist visa?

Be prepared for a trip to Malaysia! that's going to be a bit more than 60 baht! whistling.gif

I have a double entry tourist visa and I need the ext for the first entry, so I doubt I'll need to leave the country and jump onto second entry before getting my first ext.

I have a double entry tourist visa and I need the ext for the first entry, so I doubt I'll need to leave the country and jump onto second entry before getting my first ext.

Ah, well that was not clear....wink.png so hope it works out in Nathon, good luck negotiating with the Songteaus! whistling.gifbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Hi finy

Good to hear you've got yourself sorted.

A very, very small point: at Samui Immigration they will charge you 1920 baht, not 1900 baht. The extra 20 baht covers the cost of photocopying what they've granted for their paper records. They give you a nice smile if you can give them the 20 baht in coins in addition to the paper money.

The old system where the stamped up passports were left on the table in a cardboard box, which you could then look through unsupervised, has stopped. I always thought that system was a bit dangerous. Anyway, they now give you a numbered ticket, which you hand back to retrieve your passport. They have a loudspeaker to call out your number if you are waiting outside.

Personally, I go across the road for a coffee and a bite to eat.

They open at 8.30 am and close at 4.30 pm. They usually tell you to come back in an hour, but be aware that they shut for lunch at High Noon for an hour.

Hope this helps and that you have a great time here.

• Like 1

The old system where the stamped up passports were left on the table in a cardboard box, which you could then look through unsupervised, has stopped. I always thought that system was a bit dangerous. Anyway, they now give you a numbered ticket, which you hand back to retrieve your passport. They have a loudspeaker to call out your number if you are waiting outside.

Not unless it's stopped in the last 6 days. I picked up my passport on Monday and it was sitting in the box with about 30 others. Anyone could have taken it.

Hi finy

Good to hear you've got yourself sorted.

A very, very small point: at Samui Immigration they will charge you 1920 baht, not 1900 baht. The extra 20 baht covers the cost of photocopying what they've granted for their paper records. They give you a nice smile if you can give them the 20 baht in coins in addition to the paper money.

Personally, I go across the road for a coffee and a bite to eat.

They open at 8.30 am and close at 4.30 pm. They usually tell you to come back in an hour, but be aware that they shut for lunch at High Noon for an hour.

Hope this helps and that you have a great time here.

If you prepare all the copies they need you will only have to pay 1900 baht. I give them a copy of the passports photo page, entry stamp, arrival card, visa.

It should be 60 baht. I did it last year. It was raining heavily that morning. He said it was 100 baht. I refused. Eventually, after a lot of huffing and puffing we agreed on 60 baht. That was my first trip to the Immigration office, so I didn't know where it was.

A pocket full of THB 20's helps reduce this.

HTH

A pocket full of THB 20's helps reduce this.

HTH

Having a wad of THB20s at any time is always useful ?

Not unless it's stopped in the last 6 days. I picked up my passport on Monday and it was sitting in the box with about 30 others. Anyone could have taken it.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience. Certainly, when I was there on 24th June it was a new tannoy and ticket system. I had to hand over the ticket to get my passport back. She pulled it out from underneath the ledge on their desk that you lean on when using their glue to stick your photo to the TR7 form. From where I was standing I couldn't see my passport until she had pulled it out.

I agree though that the old cardboard box is worrying, but it seems to work! The first time, two years ago, I stood there for the full hour so that I could grab my passport as soon as it was put in the box. I noticed though everyone else seemed relaxed about it, so on my 5 subsequent visits I've left them to it and gone for a coffee.

If you prepare all the copies they need you will only have to pay 1900 baht. I give them a copy of the passports photo page, entry stamp, arrival card, visa.

You could do that, and I appreciate that's what you do, but I'm happy just to hand over 20 baht and let them copy what they want/need.

Edited to add reply to evadgib.

Edited by silver sea
  • Like 1

I think I pressed the "quote " button rather than the one for "edit" and so produced a double post! Have deleted the text on this post to avoid confusion. Apologies.

Doh! ?LOL ?

Edited by silver sea

I agree though that the old cardboard box is worrying, but it seems to work! The first time, two years ago, I stood there for the full hour so that I could grab my passport as soon as it was put in the box. I noticed though everyone else seemed relaxed about it, so on my 5 subsequent visits I've left them to it and gone for a coffee.

I dumped my extension papers off on Friday and picked my passport up Monday. I know a bloke who leaves it there for a week sometimes. Saves waiting around for 4 hours.

• Like 1

I dumped my extension papers off on Friday and picked my passport up Monday. I know a bloke who leaves it there for a week sometimes. Saves waiting around for 4 hours.

Good luck if you happen to be asked to present your passport on Saturday evening and you say immigration have it. Legally you have to have your passport on you at all times but in practice you have to be able to present it even if it means going back to your house with a cop to do it.

Anyway, 60 Baht is the maximum fare during the time immigration is open and the cost is 1900 Baht. However you need to provide photocopies of your passport which may be just the photo page or may be every page depending on the hour or day. Rather than spend 100 Baht + copying various pages which they will tell you they do not need it is more cost effective just to pay an additional 20 Baht and they copy what they want. Some people are really anal to the point they would rather pay 100 Baht to copy every page of their passport rather than the supposed 'scam' of 20 Baht for immigration to do the same thing.

It should also be noted that the extension does not need to be done on the last day. It can be done at least 10 days earlier without losing any days as the extension starts at the end of 60 days rather than the date the extension is applied for. Also, Mondays and Fridays are very busy so avoid them.

• Like 2

Maybe different in high season, the last two times I went there it took only 60 to 90 minutes to finish my extension so I just do a short trip to the beach or the waterfall. Anyhow with all the driving etc. it still costs more then half the day to do the extension.

You could do that, and I appreciate that's what you do, but I'm happy just to hand over 20 baht and let them copy what they want/need.

Actually I always thought its 20 baht per page before reading this thread. Even I do the copies at my house, I think for 20baht fixed rate its really not worth the hassle.

• Like 1

Good luck if you happen to be asked to present your passport on Saturday evening and you say immigration have it. Legally you have to have your passport on you at all times but in practice you have to be able to present it even if it means going back to your house with a cop to do it.

Alternatively, if you have a hired bike, your passport will be in the owner's possession. My landlord has my passport and he is often away for long weekends, so I would not have access to my passport for several days. He rents out 89 bikes and 11 cars so he's got a big safe.

I know that the issue has been discussed several times on Thaivisa. Yes, strictly speaking, you are right: the law says that you must carry your passport at all times. I have seen young tourists walking around with theirs sticking out of their back pockets. A tempting offer that some may find difficult to resist. May be that's why the cardboard system works so well at Samui Immigration. Why risk being caught with sticky fingers at Immigration when there are plenty of opportunities to steal passports elsewhere on the island.

As well as Thaivisa, I read the Stickman Bangkok reports. He often repeats stories he has received from readers about the police stopping and searching Farangs in Bangkok; indeed he has been stopped several times himself. He has said more than once though, that a photocopy of your passport and the relevant stamps will be sufficient. If that is enough to satisfy the police in Bangkok, then it should be ok on Samui too.

I would add that I was born in Essex and spent my "yoof" there. Also, I have the kind of face that only a mother could love; indeed, as a teenager, when I resisted getting my hair cut short for school, she would say: "But your ears are your best feature!" So, although I may not have a lot going for me, the police have never asked to see my passport. I am out on my bike most days and drive all over island. I do have on me at all times, however, copies of my passport, visa, extensions, and rental agreement.

I appreciate that you have been here a lot longer than me and that you are only trying to offer helpful advice. On this occasion, I feel that the risk of losing a passport through theft or carelessness is greater than having problems with the police, because you have only photocopies of your identity to show them.