Looking For A Quiet And "green" Area In Bangkok?

Marc_Holland_24

Hi :o

This november i'm gonna move to bangkok for 6 months. I prefer to have a appartment in a bit quiet and "green" area. But still close to a BTS station...

Is there such a place in bangkok? I heared Ekkamai is nice and quiet with not many high buildings... can you confirm this or have any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot! :D

Greets,

Marc

Thai currency is called baht..not bath...it is a common mistake and don't know why such mirth is being displayed...oh well...laughter is the best medicine someone twice said. If you want to find a quiet green place near the skytrain I suggest ear plugs and green sunglasses....I think its the best your going to be able to find.

marc! i shant laugh at your expense but 10k for an aprtment downtown close to the bts is naieve at best mate.

you can get such things but miles out of the city. i used to live out near the airport and had all that and more. close to the city/bts/westeners forget it.

you can get a pleasent one room studio for that but it will be in a built up area

maybe around mor chit.

to be fair if you like wide open spaces and freshair then bkk is going to be a grind for you.

Not only is the above post correct, but it must also be pointed out that rents are more favourable for leases of one year. Anything under a year puts you into the Serviced Appt. category and that is a pricey niche.

You might also consider looking for nice hotel rooms in the Bt 333/day range. But do they exist....

Not only is the above post correct, but it must also be pointed out that rents are more favourable for leases of one year. Anything under a year puts you into the Serviced Appt. category and that is a pricey niche.

You might also consider looking for nice hotel rooms in the Bt 333/day range. But do they exist....

I would suggest trebling or quadrupling your budget and finding a nice room/serviced apartment near Lumpini...

I really don't get it. For the last 3 years I have done serious research on the net about costs of living in Bangkok. Most people in this forum tell the newbies that they will need an amount of money (for a certain life style) which simply doesn't tally with my research. On the net, I can easily find piles of studios near the BTS, at about 27-35 sq. meter, in quiet areas(!), nicely decorated, with kitchenitte, air con., blah, blah, blah for well under 10000 THB/mo. In face of this many thaivisa members (sometimes a bit callous) laughs at people like Marc.

So please tell me: All those sites with nice studios for 8000 baht/mo. and 1 bedroom for 12500 baht/mo., are they pure lies? And in the affirmative: for which reason(s) would those web-masters/real estate agents advertise these non-existing flats/prices?

Am I really that ignorant? Have I really wasted 3 years of serious research? Does a life in a studio in Bangkok really cost more than the same life in Copenhagen?

I have noticed, that despite the question of cost of living in Thailand/Bangkok has been asked and answered several times in this forum, people still ask the question again and again. I cannot know for sure why other people ask and ask, just tell, that what people in this forum answer, not at all is in line with what I find elsewhere on the net.

And I think I am not the only one who feels so. That's maybe why people continue asking the same question over and over.

I really don't get it. For the last 3 years I have done serious research on the net about costs of living in Bangkok. Most people in this forum tell the newbies that they will need an amount of money (for a certain life style) which simply doesn't tally with my research. On the net, I can easily find piles of studios near the BTS, at about 27-35 sq. meter, in quiet areas(!), nicely decorated, with kitchenitte, air con., blah, blah, blah for well under 10000 THB/mo. In face of this many thaivisa members (sometimes a bit callous) laughs at people like Marc.

So please tell me: All those sites with nice studios for 8000 baht/mo. and 1 bedroom for 12500 baht/mo., are they pure lies? And in the affirmative: for which reason(s) would those web-masters/real estate agents advertise these non-existing flats/prices?

Am I really that ignorant? Have I really wasted 3 years of serious research? Does a life in a studio in Bangkok really cost more than the same life in Copenhagen?

I have noticed, that despite the question of cost of living in Thailand/Bangkok has been asked and answered several times in this forum, people still ask the question again and again. I cannot know for sure why other people ask and ask, just tell, that what people in this forum answer, not at all is in line with what I find elsewhere on the net.

And I think I am not the only one who feels so. That's maybe why people continue asking the same question over and over.

Have you actually SEEN one of these low cost places?

They DO exist but you really wouldn't want to live there, well I wouldn't anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

:o Thanks for your reply!

I've seen a lot of studio's indeed on the net < 10k near bts. Mrroomfinder for example. I don't need no luxury place.. so a studio <10k is ok for me. The only thing is, i want it in a area without too many high buildings.. i'm sure there must be a place like that.

The way i asked my question in the topic sounds maybe like i wanna live in a green park without any other buildings around or something like that lol, that's not what i really meant. :D

Just a place without too many high buildings... so that u can catch a beam of sunlight so now and then :D

Don't know about budget issues, but I'd suggest looking along Rama III around the Yannawa area. Definitely not too many high rises around there.

I happen to live in an 11/F condo there and have a very clear view all the way across to Silom / Sathorn area. Immediately next door are just some townhouses and a small green area. Very peaceful as a rule.

CC

Its often uplifting to have the sun shine on you....but...in Thailand I have developed a love of nice cool cloudy days. The sun is really hot and in Bangkok it makes it hot and humid. I think I would avoid an apartment that gets alot of sun. Go out and walk around and get some sun and get really hot and sweaty....then go back to your nice sunny hot apartment....no thanks. Ventilation is probably more important than sun....but I only lived in Bangkok for a few months and then left....

Just a different point of view.

Your budget is tight but IMHO not impossible. Depends a little by what you mean by “green”.

I had a 1 bedroom apartment, 8th floor, corner unit so lots of light, 2 decks, 8th story brand new building and while not looking out on parks it wasn’t blocked from sun or views of the neighborhood. In Saphan Khwai for 15,000. I bet the studio units are around 10,000. Someone suggested Mo Chit which might work along with Saphan Khwai. Also know as Kent Chatuchak. You have the Saphan Khwai and Mo Chit BTS stations walking distance or maybe 10 b motorcycle taxi away. It’s not green belt but lower rise and depending on the soi and view it can be nice. That said it’s a local Thai neighborhood.

There is an interesting little quiet neighborhood near Mo Chit BTS. It’s to the east of the station on Phahonyotin but before Viphawadi. Start on Soi Phahonyotin 18/1 and look around there.

An area you might check out is Kent Bang Sue. If you could work with the MRT instead of BTS go out to the last stop at the Bang Sue station. I looked at a house, again quick moto-taxi away from MRT, quiet soi, all low rise & houses, big yard, something like 5 bedrooms, etc. for 30,000 a month. I have a friend out there who has typical working class Thai studio – small with no kitchen, small bath – very typical. New building, very nice, clean, low rise neighborhood. Nothing wrong with this at all other than being small and again – a Thai neighborhood (for me a plus but each to his own). She pays 3,000. I bet there’s a lot in that area with space and quiet.

For the record I’m in closer – have a 2 bedroom condo in very nice building, 6th floor in 8 floor building, maybe 1 KM in any direction for anything higher and most is 1-2 stories, wonderful quiet and green soi, I look out my window at gardens, dogs playing in big yards, hear birds singing – it’s quiet and peaceful. Nice break in Bangkok. 10 min walk or 10 b ride to BTS. Pay 25,000 a month on a six month lease basis. There are 15,000 b studios if you look around.

My advice on looking – get a motorcycle, maybe ask a taxi how much for a couple of hours, and drive up and down sois that look nice. Stop at all apartment buildings that fit your needs and ask if they have anything. It’s hit and miss a little. Hard to say from the internet. Sometimes the right place, with the right view, on the right location on the soi can be nice and just a little ways a way could be a real pit. But look to the north ends of BTS and MRT.

:o Thanks for your reply!

I've seen a lot of studio's indeed on the net < 10k near bts. Mrroomfinder for example. I don't need no luxury place.. so a studio <10k is ok for me. The only thing is, i want it in a area without too many high buildings.. i'm sure there must be a place like that.

The way i asked my question in the topic sounds maybe like i wanna live in a green park without any other buildings around or something like that lol, that's not what i really meant. :D

Just a place without too many high buildings... so that u can catch a beam of sunlight so now and then :D

I know there are some semi decent places around Onnut and beyond that aren't expensive. Trouble is they probably won't be within walking distance of the BTS. You may have to get away from Sukhumvit a bit so that will mean catching a bus to get to the station. The BTS shuttle buses are handy -- there is one that runs along Suk 103 to Central Bang Na. Living somewhere along that route would put you in relatively (and I do mean relatively) uncongested part of town.

Mark Holland, maybe some of the confusion with answers to your request for information lie in the use of words like apartment, condo, studio etc.

To me and apartment has a minimum of 4 rooms. bedroom, living room, kitchen and bathroom where as the majority of low cost rooms around the bts seem to consist of 1 largeish room. This, I understand is called a studio. If you are happy to live in a 35ish sq m room the 10k limit will get you something quite decent. These places are fine for the single man.

Dont forget that the wage range for TV members is proberbly from 25k to 200k per month. So, of course, what is seen as value for money or affordable will also vary. Perhaps your reasons for coming to BKK would help us guide you along. Whatever you do don't foam at the mouth before imploding like creation2474.

Creation! Calm down. The fact you can find something on the net does not mean it is always so. Just like when travel agents advertise flights to London, or wherever for 18k but when you enquire the closest they have is 28K. life is like that at times.

Also bear in mind when you have 35 sq m of total floor space how much is taken up by a bed and toilet/shower area a couple of chairs and a fridge. Trust me it doesnt leave a lot of space for your train set.

Mark, as all have said you just wont find a place for 10K mate, not in a green area. Do you have to live in BKK? If you are work restricted then just get a place near the BTS, regardless of 'greenery'....It wont happen but you get used to it mate. If you are just on time out for 6 months and you have a choice, move out of BKK and hit a southern island like phuket, samui etc. Plenty of greenery, trees, sea etc and youll get a proper nice villa/bungalow for 10-15K month.

I really don't get it. For the last 3 years I have done serious research on the net about costs of living in Bangkok. On the net, I can easily find piles of studios near the BTS, at about 27-35 sq. meter, in quiet areas(!), nicely decorated, with kitchenitte, air con., blah, blah, blah for well under 10000 THB/mo.

Well, the OP is in the market for same.....

Why not post some URL's to these unseen gems and let him give you some feedback on whether your hopes are warranted or worth less.

Your budget is tight but IMHO not impossible. Depends a little by what you mean by “green”.

I had a 1 bedroom apartment, 8th floor, corner unit so lots of light, 2 decks, 8th story brand new building and while not looking out on parks it wasn’t blocked from sun or views of the neighborhood. In Saphan Khwai for 15,000. I bet the studio units are around 10,000. Someone suggested Mo Chit which might work along with Saphan Khwai. Also know as Kent Chatuchak. You have the Saphan Khwai and Mo Chit BTS stations walking distance or maybe 10 b motorcycle taxi away. It’s not green belt but lower rise and depending on the soi and view it can be nice. That said it’s a local Thai neighborhood.

There is an interesting little quiet neighborhood near Mo Chit BTS. It’s to the east of the station on Phahonyotin but before Viphawadi. Start on Soi Phahonyotin 18/1 and look around there.

An area you might check out is Kent Bang Sue. If you could work with the MRT instead of BTS go out to the last stop at the Bang Sue station. I looked at a house, again quick moto-taxi away from MRT, quiet soi, all low rise & houses, big yard, something like 5 bedrooms, etc. for 30,000 a month. I have a friend out there who has typical working class Thai studio – small with no kitchen, small bath – very typical. New building, very nice, clean, low rise neighborhood. Nothing wrong with this at all other than being small and again – a Thai neighborhood (for me a plus but each to his own). She pays 3,000. I bet there’s a lot in that area with space and quiet.

For the record I’m in closer – have a 2 bedroom condo in very nice building, 6th floor in 8 floor building, maybe 1 KM in any direction for anything higher and most is 1-2 stories, wonderful quiet and green soi, I look out my window at gardens, dogs playing in big yards, hear birds singing – it’s quiet and peaceful. Nice break in Bangkok. 10 min walk or 10 b ride to BTS. Pay 25,000 a month on a six month lease basis. There are 15,000 b studios if you look around.

My advice on looking – get a motorcycle, maybe ask a taxi how much for a couple of hours, and drive up and down sois that look nice. Stop at all apartment buildings that fit your needs and ask if they have anything. It’s hit and miss a little. Hard to say from the internet. Sometimes the right place, with the right view, on the right location on the soi can be nice and just a little ways a way could be a real pit. But look to the north ends of BTS and MRT.

Thank u all for the reply's...

I should use the word "studio" instead of "apartment".. my bad. So a studio around 10k in a low rise area.. with some trees here and there :D

I think it's the best to follow your tip Valjean... I think i will just hire a taxi driver for a couple of hours and drive around in low rise area's and look around for a studio. :D

The purpose of my stay in bangkok is because my girlfriend lives in bangkok and i want to visit her (long visit) and go to school to learn the thai language. I'm also gonna travel around the country, but with bangkok as my home-base.

Thanks for the tips so far! :o

Edited by Marc_Holland_24

Maybe instead of looking at a computer screen for the last three years... you should've come to see what some of this 10,000 a month palaces look like... :o:D

Maybe instead of looking at a computer screen for the last three years... you should've come to see what some of this 10,000 a month palaces look like... :o:D

Please tell me: what is wrong with them?

Can u be more specific, please.

From what u and Griffin writes, it seems like many, many different kinds of internet sites (including al the sites without any business interest), which should know about these things, are all nonsense.

It's good to have some very wise Thaivisa members, who can really tell us the truth. Thank you very much.