Looking For A Quiet And "green" Area In Bangkok?

Marc_Holland_24

It's really a case of you get what you pay for. These 10K places near the sky train are not inhabitable by my standards. They are too small for one, 27 sq mtrs is the size of a small hotel room. These type places tend to be infested with rodents and are in old buildings. They are borderline slums. A decent place of that size now near sky train should run 20K

It's really a case of you get what you pay for. These 10K places near the sky train are not inhabitable by my standards. They are too small for one, 27 sq mtrs is the size of a small hotel room. These type places tend to be infested with rodents and are in old buildings. They are borderline slums. A decent place of that size now near sky train should run 20K

My experience is different than this. I had a nice apartment in a brand new building with 1 bedroom (this was quite large), small living room, 2 bathrooms, two small balconies that was a 5 min. walk to BTS for 15,000. Picture of the building attached. I'm bet the studios in this building would be 10-12K (do agree with you that they are hotel room size). It was very clean, well maintained, security, parking, etc. For me the only thing I missed is it didn't have a kitchen - just the sink out on one of the balconies. And I just wanted a bigger place.

I've spent quite a bit of time looking close to the north end of the BTS line. I wonder if there is just better value there than down the other way?? Maybe more people look around Suk but for me it just isn't as attractive or good value.

post-19158-1152068757_thumb.jpg

OK ... I am gonna fess up in advance to having only read the first page of this so far ... The mirth I believe was not at the spelling error it was at the budget

You can often get a studio apartment on a lower florr if Lumpini Parkview for about 16k/mo on a 6 month lease ... of course you are in a MAJOR traffic area but there is an MRTA station there .. and Suan LUm across the street and Lumpini park very close by.

You can find places out near Onnut for less than 10k and within walking distance to BTS ...

You can get out to Seacon Square area and find green and cheap ... 1 BR in a place with a pool ... a view of something other than bldgs etc .. and close to a small reservoir and Rama 9 park for less than 7k a month on a 6 month lease.

I looked and looked.

The 10,000bt places looked like jail cells to me.

Cheap old flourescant lite screwed to the ceiling, noisy fan/air con, a cheap sink, a cheap toilet, a cheap shower and a cheap floor.

A bunch of low rent neighbors with screaming kids in the hallways and a nice view of a brick wall or broken down construction site that's home to a couple dozen barking dogs.

If you like the sun, you can save a little and rent on the hot side of the building.

I'll clue you in.

Across the River from the Taksin Skytrain are rentals and only a short, pleasant boat trip to the Skytrain steps.

Cant point you to a specific place at that price, but I know money goes furthur over there and the air is much better too.

Good place to look anyway.

many studios for less than 10000 near BTS Phrom Pong and further up until Onnut. The further away from Nana you go the cheaper it gets. Not many high rise buildings after Thong Lor/Ekkamai. Green: the park at Emporium (BTS Phrom Pong), many areas at Onnut. eg Sukhumvit 81, UCE place 02-742 6012 (2500-4000, ok, but not the best)

Your budget is tight but IMHO not impossible. Depends a little by what you mean by “green”.

I had a 1 bedroom apartment, 8th floor, corner unit so lots of light, 2 decks, 8th story brand new building and while not looking out on parks it wasn’t blocked from sun or views of the neighborhood. In Saphan Khwai for 15,000. I bet the studio units are around 10,000. Someone suggested Mo Chit which might work along with Saphan Khwai. Also know as Kent Chatuchak. You have the Saphan Khwai and Mo Chit BTS stations walking distance or maybe 10 b motorcycle taxi away. It’s not green belt but lower rise and depending on the soi and view it can be nice. That said it’s a local Thai neighborhood.

There is an interesting little quiet neighborhood near Mo Chit BTS. It’s to the east of the station on Phahonyotin but before Viphawadi. Start on Soi Phahonyotin 18/1 and look around there.

An area you might check out is Kent Bang Sue. If you could work with the MRT instead of BTS go out to the last stop at the Bang Sue station. I looked at a house, again quick moto-taxi away from MRT, quiet soi, all low rise & houses, big yard, something like 5 bedrooms, etc. for 30,000 a month. I have a friend out there who has typical working class Thai studio – small with no kitchen, small bath – very typical. New building, very nice, clean, low rise neighborhood. Nothing wrong with this at all other than being small and again – a Thai neighborhood (for me a plus but each to his own). She pays 3,000. I bet there’s a lot in that area with space and quiet.

For the record I’m in closer – have a 2 bedroom condo in very nice building, 6th floor in 8 floor building, maybe 1 KM in any direction for anything higher and most is 1-2 stories, wonderful quiet and green soi, I look out my window at gardens, dogs playing in big yards, hear birds singing – it’s quiet and peaceful. Nice break in Bangkok. 10 min walk or 10 b ride to BTS. Pay 25,000 a month on a six month lease basis. There are 15,000 b studios if you look around.

My advice on looking – get a motorcycle, maybe ask a taxi how much for a couple of hours, and drive up and down sois that look nice. Stop at all apartment buildings that fit your needs and ask if they have anything. It’s hit and miss a little. Hard to say from the internet. Sometimes the right place, with the right view, on the right location on the soi can be nice and just a little ways a way could be a real pit. But look to the north ends of BTS and MRT.

Thank u all for the reply's...

I should use the word "studio" instead of "apartment".. my bad. So a studio around 10k in a low rise area.. with some trees here and there :D

I think it's the best to follow your tip Valjean... I think i will just hire a taxi driver for a couple of hours and drive around in low rise area's and look around for a studio. :D

The purpose of my stay in bangkok is because my girlfriend lives in bangkok and i want to visit her (long visit) and go to school to learn the thai language. I'm also gonna travel around the country, but with bangkok as my home-base.

Thanks for the tips so far! :o

Marc,

Where is your GF. Cant she find a place for you?

Look towars then ends of the sky train for cheaper places.

Ekkamai has a fair no. of High rise but a reasonably nice soi. Until Recently I had a sigle house with2 bedrooms , garden and pool there for B25K

Masses of places at your budget if you a studio is ok and some quite nice and new with no more rodents than the most expensive condo.

The guys who say you can't do it haven't a clue.

By the way to the second ? poster , Ekkamai is nowhere near Ram Intra.

Also places refered to apartments in Bangkok tend to be low cost goverment built flats.

Cheers

I used to pay 40000+ a month to rent an apartment in Sukhumvit.

Now i rent a BRAND NEW 5 storey townhome near to Seacon Square for 8000 baht per month. Great deals are possible but you have to move away from the BTS. I am not near the BTS i am a 10-15 min cab ride away.

If you need to be near the BTS apartments are available within your budget. I can't understand posters who say they arent i just saw a studio for rent in Soi 4 Sukhumvit for 10,000 baht yesterday. The further you move away from Nana the cheaper the price. I had a friend who rented a studio for 5000 baht per month in Sukhumvit 93. It was a 5-10 min motorbike ride to the BTS but the place itself was perfectly decent, clean and had TV and aircon.

The On Nut area has many of these however im not sure they fit into your "green" living ideal. If you want somewhere "green" and quiet i think you will have to move away from the BTS.

My experience is different than this. I had a nice apartment in a brand new building with 1 bedroom (this was quite large), small living room, 2 bathrooms, two small balconies that was a 5 min. walk to BTS for 15,000. Picture of the building attached. I'm bet the studios in this building would be 10-12K (do agree with you that they are hotel room size). It was very clean, well maintained, security, parking, etc. For me the only thing I missed is it didn't have a kitchen - just the sink out on one of the balconies. And I just wanted a bigger place.

I've spent quite a bit of time looking close to the north end of the BTS line. I wonder if there is just better value there than down the other way?? Maybe more people look around Suk but for me it just isn't as attractive or good value.

Valjean- I'm not meaning to discredit what you post. But answer me this: Were you or were you not able to rent this place on a less than one year lease?

And to everyone else posting here- you all seem to be ignoring the facts of apartment life in Bangkok.

Which are as follows: The majority of landlords require a one year lease.

The OP is looking for a studio for a term of less than one year! That severely limits his choice. Full stop.

Of the options so far given, how many would allow for a rental contract of less than one year?

Valjean- I'm not meaning to discredit what you post. But answer me this: Were you or were you not able to rent this place on a less than one year lease?

And to everyone else posting here- you all seem to be ignoring the facts of apartment life in Bangkok.

Which are as follows: The majority of landlords require a one year lease.

The OP is looking for a studio for a term of less than one year! That severely limits his choice. Full stop.

Of the options so far given, how many would allow for a rental contract of less than one year?

My current apartment/condo is on 6 month lease. I just renewed for another 6 months. The apartment I showed the picture of in Saphan Khwai was also 6 month lease. I think 6 months is quite common in my experience.

Also places refered to apartments in Bangkok tend to be low cost goverment built flats.

Cheers

Oh Please! Ludicrous statement alert! :o

Au contrare! Much like the rest of the world-The term 'apartment' indicates a single entity owning the building units. Whereas the term 'condominium' indicates units are individually owned by assorted entities.

LOL- Wow! Real-time posting here... :o

Thanks Valjean! Very interesting! That is just the opposite of my experience. The last time I was in the market and shopping extensively (about 14 months ago) I looked at nearly 40 units and not one allowed for a lease of less than one year.

I wonder if that was a regional nuance? All my shopping was done in the Sukhumvit corridor from around Sukh. soi 10 to Thong Lo [55].

I really don't get it. For the last 3 years I have done serious research on the net about costs of living in Bangkok. Most people in this forum tell the newbies that they will need an amount of money (for a certain life style) which simply doesn't tally with my research. On the net, I can easily find piles of studios near the BTS, at about 27-35 sq. meter, in quiet areas(!), nicely decorated, with kitchenitte, air con., blah, blah, blah for well under 10000 THB/mo. In face of this many thaivisa members (sometimes a bit callous) laughs at people like Marc.

So please tell me: All those sites with nice studios for 8000 baht/mo. and 1 bedroom for 12500 baht/mo., are they pure lies? And in the affirmative: for which reason(s) would those web-masters/real estate agents advertise these non-existing flats/prices?

Am I really that ignorant? Have I really wasted 3 years of serious research? Does a life in a studio in Bangkok really cost more than the same life in Copenhagen?

I have noticed, that despite the question of cost of living in Thailand/Bangkok has been asked and answered several times in this forum, people still ask the question again and again. I cannot know for sure why other people ask and ask, just tell, that what people in this forum answer, not at all is in line with what I find elsewhere on the net.

And I think I am not the only one who feels so. That's maybe why people continue asking the same question over and over.

lppk ive lived here 5+ years and its not as cheap as u think sure if u come here on holiday u think cheap cheap but you try and live a proper western life style here and its probably 1/2 of london i live in a very nice central condo in BKK but not so close to BTS but very quite etc its a small unit 70 sq mts but my air con bill is around 5000 baht a month my sat tv 1500 a month i own but rents here are around 25,000 baht a month its not near bts but nice quite has good pool etc now i also have a house up north and its about 1/2 cost of living here come on this is a major capital city

yes some forangs live here cheap but you get what u pay for and sorry folks my thai wifes brother earns only 7000 baht a month and lives ok but could i live like him ??? yes if i had to

• 3 weeks later...

To Marc: try the lower Paholyothin Road area, around the Ari BTS station.

Between soi 5 and soi 9 you have some very nice places, lowrise buildings, lots of trees, restaurants...etc. The main road is busy but the sois are very quiet.

It is one of the best areas in central Bangkok, and not yet a farang ghetto so you may find prices within your budget.

i second Vorranuch's proposal: Phaholyothin Rd area is GREAT, mostly SILENTGREEN. Take a look around...you gonna find something 4sure even if it's just for 6 months. I use to stay that area as well (15k BKK-budget). Ari BTS nearby. Nonetheless u gonna experience SOON that using the service of a motobike taxi will be your first choice even if BTS is just a 5 minute walk away. 5 minute walking=1 new shirt needed....anywhere around central Bkk...lol

• 2 months later...

I have just rented a 3 bedroom, 2 showers house in a nice and very quiet area. 5 min. walk to Ratchada from where you can go everywhere with public transportation. I work at a school close to Huai Kwang station and it takes me 10 min. in the morning with aircon bus and coast me 14 Baht.

I have a small pond with a little waterfall in my front yard. I pay 15.000 Baht/month and have rented the house for min. 1 year. I pay water and electricity direct, but haven't had any bills yet. Moving into a house have been the best thing I have done to myself in my 7 months stay in Bangkok.

There are many houses like this in Bangkok, you just have to go look for them. If anybody is interested in something like this send me a PM and I will see what I can do.

The picture shows me in front of my little pond - I just love this place

post-25450-1160455447.jpg

• 6 months later...

I have been in Bangkok for a year, and have lived in two studios, both in new buildings with aircon, hotwater, cable TV and internet for 6,000 baht. I pay another 600 or 700 baht for electricity, water and internet. The first one was on Ratchaprarop Road, Soi Wutthipan, near the Indra Regent Hotel. It had a four month lease. It was a 10 minute walk to the Phayathai skytrain station. Now I live on Phayathai Road, 1 minute from the skytrain. I am in a new building, clean, quiet. I have a 24 sq meter studio. Two of us live here comfortably. I don't miss all of my furniture and extra rooms to clean at all. I have sunlight, and a view from my 6th floor balcony. It is sometimes noisy during rush hours from the traffic on Phayathai Road, but only on holidays does it bother us at night. I have a six month lease at this apartment.

It helped to have a Thai person doing the negotiations, as neither building had management that spoke much English. We found both apartments by walking up and down the sois in the neighborhoods we liked. There are many six or seven story apartment buildings being built in downtown Bangkok, and they are eager to rent to farang.

There are plenty of decent places less than 10,000 Baht a month near the BTS. I used to live in an apartment which was about 2 minutes walk to Phaya Thai BTS station for 12,000 a month - and there were slightly smaller flats in the same building for 8,000. OK, it wasn't a green, quiet area but it couldn't have been more convenient. Was on a 6 month lease.

Down Soi Rang Nam, neart Victory Monument BTS there are many places for 7K - 9K. Soi Rang Nam is reasonably quiet(ish) and there's a nice park right there on the soi too.

Move further up the northern section of the Sukhumvit BTS line and there are many quiet, leafy sois with plenty of good value studios and apartments. Try Sanam Pao, Ari and Saphan Khwai BTS stations. In my condo building, I'm staying in a 2 bedroom, 93 square metre condo for 20,000 a month. In the same building there are 1 room studios which must be around the 10K - 12K price range. 10 minutes walk to the BTS, 6 months lease.

Best thing to do, often, is just to go to a BTS station and ask the motorcycle taxis where the accommodation is nearby. Get them to take you to a few and just ask at the receptions of the buildings. Forget looking on the internet, estate agencies or in the Bangkok Post. Any prices quoted there will be much higher than what you can find by just going round and asking.

Also, I have the contact details of someone who has many condos and flats in the Ari area. She doesn't actually own them, but acts as a kind of private letting agent. PM me if you want her details, she may be able to help you.

• 2 weeks later...

For chrissakes just buy a cheap car and live anywhere that's reasonably convenient to whatever the location is that you like/need to be in Bangkok, for work or otherwise.

OMG, the BTS crowd paying 25K, 35K, 45K for a double shoebox but Ooooooooooooooooh it's a 5 minute walk from the Sky Train and the security guys are so cute.

That's just silly money; fine if you're on a proper contract and someone picks up the bill, otherwise: go smell some roses, and there are plenty of them far away from Farangtropolis.

Edited by chanchao

Bear in mind the BTS is expanding so you could do a bit of long term speculation.

We live in Sapansoong which is quiet, green and has a fabulous morning and night market for food. A Tesco Lotus is being built but best of all a 2k drive to the main road and they are putting a BTS station up (I think looking at the skeleton). But there are no farangs or expat bars here.

Here I am reliably informed you can rent a nice 2 bedroomed house with garden for 6K a month.

At the mo I either drive to Ekkamai for the BTS or get the bus which goes to Siam direct or bus and boat. In the evening its a 25 minute drive into town.

I live in Twickenham in the UK and that is 10 miles from the centre of London and 15 minutes from Heathrow which is exactly the same as Sapansoong. They both have the beneift of being quiet, green but near enough to the city.

Now if only I could shut those frogs up life would be bliss!!!!!!

There are lots of apartment buildings at the rama 4 side of sukumvit 22, and suk 16, 3500 baht per month through to 6000 bht p m with air con too.

there are somne nice parks nearby too. Suan Ben being my favourite (small but quiet and nice)

i rent a room for 5000 baht per month with air con and some satelite channels thrown in too.

i dont know why people ask and ask about how to live cheap in BKK - they just need to ask the average thai person.

• 15 years later...
On 7/3/2006 at 1:24 AM, creation2474 said:

I really don't get it. For the last 3 years I have done serious research on the net about costs of living in Bangkok. Most people in this forum tell the newbies that they will need an amount of money (for a certain life style) which simply doesn't tally with my research. On the net, I can easily find piles of studios near the BTS, at about 27-35 sq. meter, in quiet areas(!), nicely decorated, with kitchenitte, air con., blah, blah, blah for well under 10000 THB/mo. In face of this many thaivisa members (sometimes a bit callous) laughs at people like Marc.

So please tell me: All those sites with nice studios for 8000 baht/mo. and 1 bedroom for 12500 baht/mo., are they pure lies? And in the affirmative: for which reason(s) would those web-masters/real estate agents advertise these non-existing flats/prices?

Am I really that ignorant? Have I really wasted 3 years of serious research? Does a life in a studio in Bangkok really cost more than the same life in Copenhagen?

I have noticed, that despite the question of cost of living in Thailand/Bangkok has been asked and answered several times in this forum, people still ask the question again and again. I cannot know for sure why other people ask and ask, just tell, that what people in this forum answer, not at all is in line with what I find elsewhere on the net.

And I think I am not the only one who feels so. That's maybe why people continue asking the same question over and over.

Not sure where some people in this forum get their info, but you can definitely get a decent room in central Bangkok at around 10 000 thb (even better in areas that are more far away but still within walking distance from BTS or MRT),  Just go on the rental/property websites and you will see. Cheers

• Haha 1