Windows 8 - What is unmissable?

naboo

I'm getting to grips with Windows 8.1 after a couple of days, I've nearly figured out how to close an application, though it doesn't always work....

I'm also beginning to like it. There appears to be a lot of potential. So what is there that is really fantastic? And why does my screen sometimes split in half with different programmes running on each side, damned thing?

It has been Design with Touch screen Technology as the driving force.

For me I think its the best OS that window have ever produced, security ease of use and looks are great.

That spit screen is a new feature that Lets you work with two apps at the same time, great if your using different apps for work etc.

I usually just use the Desktop all the time as its the same as older windows and I don't use touch screen.

They have a long way to go before the system is completely Touchscreen but its a great start.

Did you buy a new Laptop or just update your software?

Initially bought a all-in-one HP touch-screen (wife's choice), but it broke after two days (screen failed) so returned it and went with my option of a tower and standard screen to my specs.

Initially bought a all-in-one HP touch-screen (wife's choice), but it broke after two days (screen failed) so returned it and went with my option of a tower and standard screen to my specs.

Yea a better choice, The HP touch- screen is great for display proposes and for informational uses for shops etc. But it is the future of the pc but its only in the earliest stages of development although you should know that companies like HP have already developed future technologies that far more advance but because of the marketplace they are not releasing them till they have made as much profit as possible along the way.

Its like the new PlayStation you can be sure they have the next product developed and ready for market when it suits.

Another example is the 3D then 4D TVs when there developing a fully hologram TV at the minute where you can walk around the Image movie and watch a movie from all angles. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Siamsky

That spit screen is a new feature that Lets you work with two apps at the same time, great if your using different apps for work etc.

So that would be a "new feature" that all versions of Windows have had for the last 25+ years? Forgive me if I appear unimpressed.

Windows 8 actually removes much of the practicality of all previous versions Windows in that it does not allow you to run most tiled apps in a resizeable window, which is after all the single feature for which the OS got its name in the first. A very stupid idea on the part of MS, comparable to a car manufacturer making a new car without seats.

• Like 2

So that would be a "new feature" that all versions of Windows have had for the last 25+ years? Forgive me if I appear unimpressed.

Windows 8 actually removes much of the practicality of all previous versions Windows in that it does not allow you to run most tiled apps in a resizeable window, which is after all the single feature for which the OS got its name in the first. A very stupid idea on the part of MS, comparable to a car manufacturer making a new car without seats.

With the older version's you can only have one app that is in the front screen at a time the other apps where working on the background un less you have two screens hooked up to the pc.

The new software is designed for a time where the keyboard and mouse are obsolete, this is the future.

Edited by Siamsky

With the older version's you can only have one app that is in the front screen at a time the other apps where working on the background un less you have two screens hooked up to the pc.

I disagree. It is very easy to have two windows (of any size) open at the same time with pre-8 versions of Windows, and these windows can be tiled to each cover 50% of the screen if you like. Win7 does this automatically if you wiggle a window near the edge of the screen (though personally I hate this and turned it off).

I dont quite see what difference it makes whether one or other window actually has focus as the focus moves automatically as needed.

The new software is designed for a time where the keyboard and mouse are obsolete, this is the future.

That may be so, but it isnt for any time soon. I cant imagine ever being able to use a touch screen for the work I do. Unless they make my screen much bigger or my fingers much smaller, neither of which would be very practical.

• Like 1

Really? I have been using multiple windows on Windows XP for years. In fact, I have 3 windows open right now as I write this, running on an old Windows XP.

Touchscreen is not for everyone, nor is it even useful for every application. Try using MS Office programs (word, excel, access, powerpoint etc) in a touch only environment. Not even remotely practical.

Personally I will pass on the whole touchscreen experience. On my tablet touch is just barely useable, and many times almost totally impractical. On my smartphone it is just barely practical, but due to the size of the smartphone, touch is probably the best interface. Not so on a tablet and even less so on a real computer.

Microsoft really needs to understand that one size really does NOT fit all.

• Like 1

I happily reverted back to a WIN-7 environment using CLASSIC SHELL after several weeks of total frustration trying to use WIN-8 on a new non-touch screen HP. It just never even began to feel intuitive to me. Even the built-in tutorials were vague and plodding and not very helpful.

The best point of Win-8? The very powerful search function that once learned, makes it really easy to find almost anything.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

OK, so some people like it, some don't. I installed classic shell, then discovered the pending 8.1 update and removed it and haven't looked back. In desktop mode, it runs just like Windows 7, add classic shell if you really can't get used to the new Windows screen.

The search function is very useful. Windows key, type the name of whatever programme you want, bingo, no more searching through menu systems and windows.

When I have an app open, and drag it from top to bottom right of the screen, does that close it?

Any brilliant apps? I have TuneIn Radio, a few games - unfortunately they don't seem to work with control pads, either touch screen or keyboard, apparently you can connect an XBox controller, surely the EU will ban that restriction as anti competitive though.

When I have an app open, and drag it from top to bottom right of the screen, does that close it?

If you have all the latest updates, this no more necessary/possible.

Just move your mouse pointer to the upper edge of your app and a "window bar", will appear.

From this bar you can chose to minimize or close the app.

It's now also possible, to pin or minimize apps to the standard "Desktop taskbar", like every Windows program.

A right-click on the app icon closes the app too.

I've bought Win 8 Professional in 2012, when MS had their 19,90€ promotion.

Installed it on my Laptop only for testing purposes and didn't like it and never used it seriously. (except every half year, to install the latest updates)

But now, at the current state, Win 8.1 has greatly improved, no more Classic Shell & Co. necessary.

Almost all important settings are now "built-in"

If you don't like Metro, ok, just setup your machine to boot directly to the "Desktop".

I sometimes use Multimedia "Metro Apps" like Audials, Tunein, Spotify etc., or just the "Metro surface" with some Live-tiles on my third screen (LED TV), because I like the look, or there are simply no easy to use Desktops Alternatives.

The boring babbling, like "the touch screen apps are useless on a PC" blah blah is nowadays just utter nonsense.

Don't like them? Don't use them!

There is a "Win 7 style Desktop" already built in.

And if one can trust the rumours, the next bigger update will allow you, to run Metro apps in a resizeable window as usual.

The search function is very useful. Windows key, type the name of whatever programme you want, bingo, no more searching through menu systems and windows.

this search function does exist since many years in Win 7 wink.png

Edited by Turkleton

People need to understand that there is a clear disctinction between the Windows OS and Windows Desktop, or GUI. While there are reports that the internal workings of the OS have indeed improved over the Windows releases (well, maybe excluding Vista), the Windows Destop/Metro marriage is a disaster. Some people will say, "Install Classic Shell and it will look like Win7", yes, it will look like Win7 if you don't do anything. But click on an icon that in Win7 would open a small windows with a line of text and a few selection buttons. In Win8 it might open a Metro app that fills up your whole 26" monitor, blocking everything behind it and staring at you with 2" letters... And there is no X to click if you don't want to make any selection. I still don't know how to close it. Perhaps there is some secret swipe gesture. The Destop, just like the Metro (or whatever it is called now) is probably very good in itself and does the job it was design to do, but it's the constant and inconsistent mismash between the two that makes the whole experience of Win8 extremely frustrating.

Somebody here suggested that this is the future so just get used to it. But considering that Microsoft gets considerable income from corporate sales, somehow I think the corporate users would find the need to constantly touch their monitor for an 8 hours day, very unproductive and extremely tiring. Perhaps that's why you don't see Win8 on many corporate destops.

this search function does exist since many years in Win 7 wink.png

Exists in my Windows 7 64bit Home Premium edition

In Win8 it might open a Metro app that fills up your whole 26" monitor, blocking everything behind it and staring at you with 2" letters... And there is no X to click if you don't want to make any selection. I still don't know how to close it. Perhaps there is some secret swipe gesture.

Nonsense, if you would have read my post just above, you would have noticed:

Just move your mouse pointer to the upper edge of your app and a "window bar", will appear.

It's now also possible, to pin or minimize apps to the standard "Desktop taskbar", like every Windows program.

post-158247-0-55493900-1405336996_thumb.

Update your outdated Win 8 to 8.1, and you will notice, that most of the moaning around is obsolete nowadays...thing have improved a lot!

And again, if you don't like the apps, don't use them, what is so difficult with this?

PS: Not sure, if the Upgrade will work on "non-genuine" versions?

Edited by Turkleton

Yea it not just Touchscreen that is the future there working towards other hardware interactions -

Emotiv's headset uses 14 sensors to read your brainwaves.

headset that lets people control their computers without touching a key

post-214852-0-23541600-1405346641_thumb.

Yea it not just Touchscreen that is the future there working towards other hardware interactions -

Emotiv's headset uses 14 sensors to read your brainwaves.

headset that lets people control their computers without touching a key

Yawn. Why not just stay on topic and say something useful rather than wasting webspace? Here; enjoy:

You've already been discredited anyway, don't really know what you're talking about:

Duh. On Win 7, just press WIN+RIGHT ARROW or WIN+LEFT ARROW.

In Win8 it might open a Metro app that fills up your whole 26" monitor, blocking everything behind it and staring at you with 2" letters... And there is no X to click if you don't want to make any selection. I still don't know how to close it. Perhaps there is some secret swipe gesture.

Nonsense, if you would have read my post just above, you would have noticed:

attachicon.gifwindow_bar.JPG

Update your outdated Win 8 to 8.1, and you will notice, that most of the moaning around is obsolete nowadays...thing have improved a lot!

And again, if you don't like the apps, don't use them, what is so difficult with this?

PS: Not sure, if the Upgrade will work on "non-genuine" versions?

Chill out Mr Turkelton, it's just an operating system, and not a very good one at that...

But, to satisfy your curiosity, my pirated, outdated version of Win 8 easily updated to the latest Win 8.1, and my pirated latest version of Win 8.1 easily swallowed that recent 800MB update and the all others too.

But thanks for the update on that window bar. Now I know...