Breeding fresh water fish

I have a few different big, outdoor pots (40 to 60 L.) with various fish and plants in them and I seldom have to change the water (it's crystal clear and I use mainly rain water to fill up the pots). 

My Pattys and Mollys are breeding non-stop (don't know how they keep it up and I have just agreed with a pet store owner recently to take all my young fish on a "swap basis", which is fine for me), but none of my gold fish, angel fish, zebras (aka danios), guppies, neons or cardinals are reproducing. Various ages and all seem to be healthy. 

I've mainly been feeding them dry food purchased at the average pet store, 7/11, etc. but recently I started feeding them live food - mainly blood worms, which they completely ignore, and fresh, softly-boiled cucumber, which they devour.  

I'd like to see the above mentioned fish reproducing - mainly for personal satisfaction as it would confirm that I am keeping them under the right conditions.

Any tips as to what environment, food, conditions, etc. these fish need in order to reproduce? I keep the fish mixed in various pots, in various positions with various plants. Can't figure out why the other fish won't reproduce. 

In addition to this, I'm going down to BKK at the end of the month and would like to buy a book or two about exactly this topic. Any recommendations regarding: tropical fresh water fish or ponds? 

Just a thought but are there Angel fish in the same pot as the ones that are not producing because they would wolf down any fry in the tank and Guppies are easiest of the lot for breeding. Maybe you already know but on the outside of Chatuchak everyday is the tropical fish market, you can get everything you've need their and the fish are really cheap amazing place if your into fish.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

all these fish (gold fish, angel fish, zebras (aka danios), guppies, neons or cardinals) need to be isolated if you want them to breed as not only other breeds will eat the fry but also themselves!

To induce breeding you should buy some Black water extract - its a natural environment for fish to breed in (http://answers.tetra-fish.com/answers/0596-en_us/product/4235/tetra-blackwater-extract-questions-answers/questions.htm)

The platys and mollys are live bearers,so very easy to breed ,they do it 

themselves,don't understand why the guppies are not though as they

breed like rabbits.

The goldfish,Angels,Zebra danios,are egg layers and are harder to breed

needing different conditions,the rearing of the fry is also more difficult re: 

food requirements,the Neons are even harder to breed and Cardinals are

very difficult ,nearly impossible especially if you don't know what you are

doing,they also need cooler temperatures,thats why most are bred in HK.

Re: guppies make sure you have some males in there.the other species

you need to breed in aquariums,with only pairs in,then you can move the

growing fry to the ponds,you need to do a bit of research if you want to

breed the fish commercially. 

regards Worgeordie

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciate it. 

Shortly after I posted my question, I transferred the Angel fish to a deeper pot. Since then they have had three batches of offspring. I have 8 in total but cannot tell how many are males/females and how many are pairs. So, I suppose for anybody keeping Angel fish, a deep pot/aquarium is the best solution for these kind of fish. 

Last week I spotted a couple of guppy fry swimming around but because they were so dark, I simply assumed they were mollys. Anyway, the guppies are also reproducing. 

The Zebra Danios look like they are about to burst - the two females are huge and I guess they'll lay eggs any day now. 

Thanks again for the feedback. 

Shortly after I posted my question, I transferred the Angel fish to a deeper pot. Since then they have had three batches of offspring. I have 8 in total but cannot tell how many are males/females and how many are pairs. So, I suppose for anybody keeping Angel fish, a deep pot/aquarium is the best solution for these kind of fish. 

Last week I spotted a couple of guppy fry swimming around but because they were so dark, I simply assumed they were mollys. Anyway, the guppies are also reproducing. 

The Zebra Danios look like they are about to burst - the two females are huge and I guess they'll lay eggs any day now. 

That sounds good.
Do you mean all of the fish are together in the same deeper pot?

Angel Fish are cichlids and territorial. The dorsal of anal fin of the males should be longer, and the ventral area is slightly different, They can be aggressive, my brother had a pair. Every feeding time when he lifted the tank lid, he had to pick the male up off the floor after it would launch an attack

That sounds good.
Do you mean all of the fish are together in the same deeper pot?

No, only the Angel Fish are in the deeper pot. 

Angel Fish are cichlids and territorial. The dorsal of anal fin of the males should be longer, and the ventral area is slightly different, They can be aggressive, my brother had a pair. Every feeding time when he lifted the tank lid, he had to pick the male up off the floor after it would launch an attack

Mine are in a normal "open pot" with no lid, etc, on top and I don't have any problems described by you or any books on this matter. I have, only recently, noticed one Angel Fish nipping another (Angel fish's) dorsal fins - but that was really a once off case. 

I have, however, noticed that the pairs/parents don't (seem) to take care of their off spring (these are hiding in the roots of the water lettuce). 

If you breed angels in pots you can't see when they have laid eggs so you cant prevent them from eating them afterwards.

An ideal scenario would be to have them in a tank just a male and a female along with other non aggressive fish.

Once the egs are laid you will need to isolate them from the eggs with a sheet of Perspex.

For the live bearers like the mollys you can buy mini plastic tanks that fits inside the tank/pot in your case that isolate the babies from the mother, they drop below through a kind of V into a chamber, the mother may try and suck the odd one or 2 out but you will have plenty left.

Cover the bottom of the pot with a layer of marbles, the eggs will drop through, and the marbles will keep the fish from eating them.

Great idea! Hadn't thought of that! 

Mine are in a normal "open pot" with no lid, etc, on top and I don't have any problems described by you or any books on this matter. I have, only recently, noticed one Angel Fish nipping another (Angel fish's) dorsal fins - but that was really a once off case. 

I have, however, noticed that the pairs/parents don't (seem) to take care of their off spring (these are hiding in the roots of the water lettuce). 

Some books I've read on breeding the harder types like Angels and Fiscus. Suggest the lack of brood caring has been caused by breeders trying to maximise their profit by separating the parents from the eggs. ie brood care is taught by the youngs experiences. So some fish lose the capability to care for the eggs/young

Some books I've read on breeding the harder types like Angels and Fiscus. Suggest the lack of brood caring has been caused by breeders trying to maximise their profit by separating the parents from the eggs. ie brood care is taught by the youngs experiences. So some fish lose the capability to care for the eggs/young

Yes, this is the second time I've heard this. I watched an interesting video on youtube recently about the topic (don't have the link) and a very experienced aquarist and breeder of Angel Fish said the exact same thing. He's now trying to actually TEACH his parent Angel Fish to care about their young(!)

• Like 1